Clay County Basketball

CCHS

Jackson Co. and Pickett Co. both lost alot. Clay will probably be the best team, but really......shouldn't they be? I don't know what Jackson Co. is gonna look like, but they lost alot of starters off that state tournament team. PC, lost the best player in 7a over the last 3 years argubly, they also lost 2 other 1,000 point scorers. They only return 2 guys who both started. They are definately rebuilding. But they have got atleast 3 transfers, a couple of kids coming up who can be good as sophomores. If you notice, Clay is only at the top of the district when PC and JC are down. In '05 PC was top, they had the seniors that year.....'06 Clay was tops, they had all seniors....'07 PC was on top with juniors, Clay was distant third.......'08 PC won regular season and district tournament with seniors, and JC won region and went to state with seniors, Clay got no hardware last year with those good juniors. This year they will dominate early because the other two teams are gonna be in a learning mode, but I think they both catch up towards seasons in. Bibb and Flynn are better coaches than Edwards....because they do more with younger players than Edwards can.

07 was that the year JC was undefeated in 7a so thet were on top in 07 in district lost 6 seniors and came back in 08 and return the favor to PC by beating them in region so PC could not been top daug both years CLAY should dominate this year but you never know they really under acheived last year late in season

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They've got a pretty descent ball player from Florida, and also a kid that couldn't play last year because of grades the kid is a sharp shooter but needs to improve on defense. That and the fact they only graduated one guy off of last years squad should put them in the front running. What they'll do there or if they'll stay there will be determined come season time.

Clay County will for sure be the odds on favorite to win the district and the region for that matter. However it should be a very exciting year in 7A with the rest of the district scrambling for the #2 seed in the district tournament which will be huge this year as i don't see alot of distance between any of the other teams Monterey will be better this year with a new coach and not losing anyone last year, RBS's team will be much better as well after playing with mostly freshman last year. Pickett is ALWAYS tough year in and year out it doesn't matter how many they lose. Clarkrange will have a solid squad with Upchurch leading the way and this being his senior year. Jackson County's talented freshman finally get their shot at high school basketball. These kids have been playing AAU together since the third grade and have played probably 500 games already but i still see them struggling early on but as we all know its not what you do during the regular season that counts its all about "tournament time". Clay Co and Jackson Co have played AAU together all spring as one team so this will only help both squads. With all these "unknowns" it will make for a very exciting season of boys basketball in District 7A.

They've got a pretty descent ball player from Florida, and also a kid that couldn't play last year because of grades the kid is a sharp shooter but needs to improve on defense. That and the fact they only graduated one guy off of last years squad should put them in the front running. What they'll do there or if they'll stay there will be determined come season time.

who did clay pick up that couldnt play because of grades last season?

Now I don't want to start an argument or anything, but I don't know why you're bad mouthing Clay or Coach Edwards. Pickett County is a solid ball team and usually is, but that's all the kids have been raised to do, you don't have many two or three sport athletes like Clay does. They don't even get a chance to pick up a basketball until a week before the season because of football, and I know not many of your players can say that maybe one non-starter. Plus the biggest guy on Clays team last year was 6'1 maybe they had a 5'8 guy playing post. So if you can't give respect to Coach Edwards for beating you guys once last year and giving everyone in the region a good game then you'll get no respect from us. Keep up the good work Clay County. Good luck to the rest of 7A.

I'm not bad mouthing Clay Co or Coach Edwards.....Edwards is a good coach, just not as good as Flynn or Bibb....its not like I'm calling him dirt or something awful like that. As for Clay co. I'm not bad mouthing them, they just under achieve except when they have the seniors and everyone else doesn't. Look at the last few years, the record speaks for itself. They should and probably will be the team in 7A this year. As for Pickett Co. not having three sport athletes? where are you getting your information? PC has had a lot of three sport athletes, in some seasons four. Lance Mason, Nathan Groce in '05 where both three sport athletes, Brett Roddy was all but his senior year. Jacob Wright, James Gibson off last years team were both three sport athletes. Probably the last senior class to not have any two or three sport athletes was 02 with Aaron and Crouch. People from PC play golf mostly instead of football, so maybe thats why you think that. There are some of the ball players who do play football too. Most of the kids who play basketball also play baseball, so most of the basketball boys are atleast two sport athletes, with several three sport athletes mixed in. So sorry, you can't use that as an excuse. PC has always been, and always will be a Basketball town, and that will always be the kids main focus, so maybe you can use that for your excuse, i don't know. And shaun garrett, he is taller than 6'1". I gave Edwards credit for beating us last year, I said he outcoached Bibb, but just in that one game. Over the course of the offseason, regular season, and playoffs, Bibb and Flynn are simply better.

07 was that the year JC was undefeated in 7a so thet were on top in 07 in district lost 6 seniors and came back in 08 and return the favor to PC by beating them in region so PC could not been top daug both years CLAY should dominate this year but you never know they really under acheived last year late in season

Jackson was tops in the regular season in 07, PC won District tourny, Region Tourny and played in substate, I guess if you want to get technical, they were Co Top Dogs in 07 and 08.....that better for ya?

First of all Shaun Garret is 5'10, but he can jump like no one elses business. If you're sitting here telling me that it's only when we have seniors we win and you lose, it's the exact same way with you guys. You said the better coach wins with the younger team then we'll see what Bibbs does with it this year. If he is in fact the better coach than he should atleast beat them once. I mean you guys lost this year with two 1'000 point scorers what does that say about coaching. Edwards is a fine coach he works as hard as the other two any day of the week. I apoligize I wasn't thinking of all the hours golf takes up compared to football. I'm not making any excuses for anything, you won last year. We'll see what happens the next few years.

PC picked up the ferrell kid from allons elem, he didnt make it at LA. only one i know

ugh i heard the ferrill kid was just short had good talent better than those who made it but was short but aint his brother taller , cchs could u help me with that answer...... is the ferrill kid gonna be a good addition , is he any good at all ???