why did the northeast topic get closed

navygold11

Now I certainly don't have a puppy in this fight, but if a man has been coaching football at NE for 9 years and he is NOT READY to be a head coach, then you ought to fire his butt. The big question is who determines when someone is ready to be a head coach...what is the criteria.

Sounds like the Principal, Assistant Principal/Athletic Director, and the system Athletic Director don't know what the heck they are doing.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what will happen to the program if the coaches there now are released? a new head coach may bring in his own para professionals and release those that are working in the program. just a though, all that work and the new head coach releases all the men. is there a work out program at the school, all i heard is that they condition daily and don't lift much. this is not good for the region comp. all wiliamson county schools are lifting, conditioning, and working on getting better. i see NE in the bottom of the region and not winning a game this year now.

what will happen to the program if the coaches there now are released? a new head coach may bring in his own para professionals and release those that are working in the program. just a though, all that work and the new head coach releases all the men. is there a work out program at the school, all i heard is that they condition daily and don't lift much. this is not good for the region comp. all wiliamson county schools are lifting, conditioning, and working on getting better. i see NE in the bottom of the region and not winning a game this year now.

The school I coached at the same high school since 1993 got a new head coach last year and brought in a new staff. I spent all summer with my hands in my pockets and not coaching much as summer workouts went on. After summer work outs were over, I asked the new coach if I could go to the middle school where I could at least have hands on coaching. He was not happy, but let me go down. I was the best thing that could of happened to me. I hope this year that some of the men I have worked with for years will put their pride away and come down so we can coach together.

so it is june 5th of 2008, and is there any word? maybe we need to begin to think about moving our children. Rossview is just up the road and Kenwood down the road. would our children have a better opportunity at one of these schools?

Either way any coach you hire will not be a good one. Noone good would take a job in this situation. Only someone desperate to be a head coach or someone who just got fired. IMO

At this juncture, it is a viable question, "Will Northeast offer football in the fall?"

To me, it would be no different than the kids who attend a school that doesn't offer a sport, and are immediately eligible for that sport in a neighboring school.

The administration owes not only the students and their families an answer, but also the other teams in Region 6-5A.

They would need to hustle to set up a game to fill the hole in the schedule. No need to have a repeat of the Hillsboro-Franklin situation of last year.

With the situation being like it is (and no end in sight) is there any precedent for the TSSAA to step in and take action? It is one thing for NEHS to choose to ruin their own football program, but when you start affecting the schedules of other teams and a region schedule, it would seem logical that the TSSAA would want to prevent that from happening.

Also, if the parents are as upset as they claim to be on here, why are they not making more noise in the public? NEHS gets very little publicity in Clarksvillle, and I imagine that few people within in the city actually know the situation out there. Why are letters not being written to the newspaper and other media outlets to make this situation more publicly known? If you want the school system in Clarksville to take action on something there has to be some negative press around in order for that to happen.

With the situation being like it is (and no end in sight) is there any precedent for the TSSAA to step in and take action? It is one thing for NEHS to choose to ruin their own football program, but when you start affecting the schedules of other teams and a region schedule, it would seem logical that the TSSAA would want to prevent that from happening.

Also, if the parents are as upset as they claim to be on here, why are they not making more noise in the public? NEHS gets very little publicity in Clarksvillle, and I imagine that few people within in the city actually know the situation out there. Why are letters not being written to the newspaper and other media outlets to make this situation more publicly known? If you want the school system in Clarksville to take action on something there has to be some negative press around in order for that to happen.

Now is an excellent time for supporters to get in the news and on TV with the problem. NE is already in the news with ONE ex coach and his legal problems right now. This WOULD put GREAT pressure on the school and the administration to get something done just to make it go away and get out of the spotlight.

• 2 weeks later...

Article in the paper:

Northeast High School never expected to be in this position when former football coach Paul Watkins resigned after an 0-10 season last November. The school anticipated finding a suitable coach before the spring.

That hasn't happened.

Then the school figured that if it could find a coach during spring, it would lessen the damage done by not having a head coach for spring practice.

So far, that's becoming a difficult goal to accomplish too.

Wednesday, Springfield head football coach Jon Offut declined Northeast's offer to become its next head coach.

"I think it was a family thing," Clarksville-Montgomery County School System activities director Richard McWhirter said. "I think he just wanted to be closer to home and that was a deciding factor."

Offut's name surfaced several weeks ago as Northeast's next coach, and he was rumored to be interested in taking over, but was undecided. Northeast gave Offut a deadline of Wednesday to make his decision and the Yellow Jackets' coach passed. He's one of several coaches that have turned down the administration's offer to coach the Class 5A school.

Northeast athletics director Kim Yarbrough and the school administration are looking for a coach that fills a teaching position first and time is beginning to run out. The school held its graduation Friday night.

A month ago, Yarbrough said there were about seven teaching spots open. Now there are four. One of those teaching positions is in the history department and the school has been looking to match a coach with that particular teaching post.

"Most coaches, especially football coaches, come from a history background," she said. "We have a history spot open and several math positions too. It's rare that you find a coach who teaches math. We have to look at what we have and find a coach that fits that need and do what's best for our kids."

Yarbrough did express frustration with the hiring process that began more than six months ago. Northeast also has acquired the help of McWhirter and the school system's human resources department.

"I feel sorry for the kids because they're the ones that are getting the short end of the stick," she said. "But we are working diligently, trying to find a coach who can help these young kids on and off the field and be a model teacher as well."

The Eagles are currently under the helm of non-faculty assistant coach Henry Mitchell. Mitchell has been given the title of interim head coach as the school continues its search.

He's currently running the spring drills as well as conditioning and weight training. But he will not be promoted to head coach because of his lack of teaching qualifications, according to McWhirter.

"I met with the parents on Tuesday and their biggest concern was about their kids on the team," McWhirter said. "The parents just want to know who is running the program and who they should turn to for questions or leadership. Right now, coach Mitchell is filling that void."

All of Watkins' assistants were placed on the May 15 contract non-renewal list ??”??” a common practice for most high school football programs that are searching for a new coach.

Each assistant, however, has the opportunity to re-apply for their position if the head coach decides to include them on his staff.

"I talked with Kim and (Northeast principal) Galea (Jefferies) Friday and we're looking at what the teaching needs are," McWhirter added. "I don't want to say that we're starting all over but we are in sped-up mode at this point."

As spring practice draws to a close and the July dead period ends in the middle of that month, most of Northeast's players could just be getting acclimated to a new head coach instead of having the fortune of getting accustomed to a new coach's philosophy by the start of the new year.

"The boys are working hard under coach Mitchell," Yarbrough said. "They're ready for a head coach. So we need to sit down with Mr. McWhirter and human resources and decide on which way to go. We've already had several phone calls the last few days so hopefully this process won't take much longer."

OK, now let me see if I have this right. NE has both a female Principal AND a female AD (I take it 'Kim' is a girl) and for some reason they have been looking for a MALE football Coach since November with NO success.

It is all becoming clear now for me. The two main people doing the hiring have NO idea what it it like and what it takes to be a football Coach.

Good luck NE, you are gonna need it!

OK, now let me see if I have this right. NE has both a female Principal AND a female AD (I take it 'Kim' is a girl) and for some reason they have been looking for a MALE football Coach since November with NO success.

It is all becoming clear now for me. The two main people doing the hiring have NO idea what it it like and what it takes to be a football Coach.

Good luck NE, you are gonna need it!

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!