Same old Story

Indian

Exactly, it doesn't matter if they're public or private SOME programs are just dominant. Covington softball has been to state 22 years(12 in a row) and Gibbs has been there 18 times, winning 8 championships. Soddy Daisy has won 6, and they made it back to state after losing all but one of their starters from last year! The best programs just reload, like Maryville and Alcoa in football, Shelbyville and Jackson Co. in Girls Basketball, Goodpasture in Softball, Farragut in baseball, etc. When a programs starts winning, the best players want to go there because it increases their chances of winning a state championship. Should we start rationing out how many good players a school can have now? Will that work? 6 of Trinity's starters have been there since elementary school, so I guess they should have kicked some of them out for being good ball players. Good grief, life is not fair! Sometimes a team is just better than you, and you have to stink it up and go on. That's what Trinity did for many years when they were getting smacked around by every team in their district, but they just happened to have a good group of girls come through around the same time, which produced good results. But nobody has a beef with you when you're not winning.

And sometimes a VERY talented family will be at a school (Renfro's @ Trinity) that can turn a program around. Think Henson sisters in Basketball at Bradford and 3 State Championships in a row (Public, by the way). Oh and sometimes, occasionally, it comes down to hard work and how much a group of kids are willing to work for something. I don't know the Renfros but hear that they go year round to clinics and work their tails off to get better. I do know the Henson's and know that any spare time was spent with a basketball in their hand.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly, it doesn't matter if they're public or private SOME programs are just dominant. Covington softball has been to state 22 years(12 in a row) and Gibbs has been there 18 times, winning 8 championships. Soddy Daisy has won 6, and they made it back to state after losing all but one of their starters from last year! The best programs just reload, like Maryville and Alcoa in football, Shelbyville and Jackson Co. in Girls Basketball, Goodpasture in Softball, Farragut in baseball, etc. When a programs starts winning, the best players want to go there because it increases their chances of winning a state championship. Should we start rationing out how many good players a school can have now? Will that work? 6 of Trinity's starters have been there since elementary school, so I guess they should have kicked some of them out for being good ball players. Good grief, life is not fair! Sometimes a team is just better than you, and you have to stink it up and go on. That's what Trinity did for many years when they were getting smacked around by every team in their district, but they just happened to have a good group of girls come through around the same time, which produced good results. But nobody has a beef with you when you're not winning.

First, you have to disregard Soddy-Daisy, Farragut as far as this topic goes since they're Class AAA. Next, you may be talking about a relatively small amount of private schools doing the damage in various sports, but those teams and others not mentioned make up a large portion of the Division I private school membership. There are virtually no pushovers in any sport among Division I private schools unless they're a start-up (school, sport or both), or unless it's a tiny school and some of those are competitive too. That's with the multiplier pushing some up a class. Again (and again later, likely) it is not only about the state title winners.

First, you have to disregard Soddy-Daisy, Farragut as far as this topic goes since they're Class AAA.

Well, how convenient - disregarding comparisons that do not verify your side of the argument. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> We haven't seen that side of the debate before. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

They are totally valid comparisons - and then some. The few truly dominant 3A schools (and 4A and 5A in football) are dominating just like the few privates the tend to dominate their respective sports. Not only that, they are doing it at the largest level usually with the largest resources - population, urban, facilities - normally for all schools in those classifications.

Why can some publics that totally dominate get a pass when it comes to scrutiny too? /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

I'll spell it one letter at a time - "P"

. . . There are virtually no pushovers in any sport among Division I private schools unless they're a start-up (school, sport or both), or unless it's a tiny school and some of those are competitive too . . .

WHAT??

Indian,

You are just plain wrong. No pushovers in any sport? I will use CPA as an example. Softball - never made region tournament. Volleyball - same thing. Baseball played in the region maybe twice. Tennis? Nope. Girls basketball - not so much 1 state tournament. Boys basketball - good the last 3 years other than that not so much 1 state tournament prior to last year. Even football where people think CPA is a powerhouse, they have made it past the third round of the playoffs twice in their history.

What about MTCS, Grace Academy, Mt. Juliet Christian, Columbia Academy, Nashville Christian, Grace Baptist, Trinity Christian and Fayette Academy? Are they good in every sport?

There are D1 private schools that seem to be good in almost every sport but the list is pretty short - Goodpasture, Lipscomb and USJ and maybe, FRA, CAK and Knox Catholic. Other than those it is pretty much hit-or-miss.

I am sorry but you need to stop making statements that have no basis in fact.

Well, how convenient - disregarding comparisons that do not verify your side of the argument. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> We haven't seen that side of the debate before. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

They are totally valid comparisons - and then some. The few truly dominant 3A schools (and 4A and 5A in football) are dominating just like the few privates the tend to dominate their respective sports. Not only that, they are doing it at the largest level usually with the largest resources - population, urban, facilities - normally for all schools in those classifications.

Why can some publics that totally dominate get a pass when it comes to scrutiny too? /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

I'll spell it one letter at a time - "P"

When Soddy-Daisy is beating GPS in the state softball tournament, put them back into the discussion.

WHAT??

Indian,

You are just plain wrong. No pushovers in any sport? I will use CPA as an example. Softball - never made region tournament. Volleyball - same thing. Baseball played in the region maybe twice. Tennis? Nope. Girls basketball - not so much 1 state tournament. Boys basketball - good the last 3 years other than that not so much 1 state tournament prior to last year. Even football where people think CPA is a powerhouse, they have made it past the third round of the playoffs twice in their history.

What about MTCS, Garce Academy, Mt. Juliet Christian, Columbia Academy, Nashville Christian, Grace Baptist, Trinity Christian and Fayette Academy? Are they good in every sport?

There are D1 private schools that seem to be good in almost every sport but the list is pretty short - Goodpasture, Lipscomb and USJ and maybe, FRA, CAK and Knox Catholic. Other than those it is pretty much hit-or-miss.

There are virtually no pushovers in any sport among Division I private schools unless they're a start-up (school, sport or both), or unless it's a tiny school and some of those are competitive too

Virtually no pushovers is hardly the same as every team is good or even a worse interpretation, that every team is state tournament level. You also listed some new schools, naturally with developing programs, who can't be judged accurately yet.

WHAT??

Indian,

What about MTCS, Garce Academy, Mt. Juliet Christian, Columbia Academy, Nashville Christian, Grace Baptist, Trinity Christian and Fayette Academy? Are they good in every sport?

Correction on the D1 private schools.........USJ has not made the playoffs in football since the multiplier rule took effect. Boys basketball was something like 13-2 out of district this year playing similar size schools, and did not win a game in district (of course enrollment of approx 400 playing schools with 900 enrollment will do that) Girls basketball has not made it out of district since multiplier.......Athletes in these sports that have been there since Pre-K (no, they were not recruited at that point) are leaving to play at other single A schools because tired of getting beat up every Friday night. Now if TSSAA can figure out a way to kill the spring sports, maybe they will have their mission accomplished.

Nobody is trying to kill the private school programs, that's just silly. The multiplier is also, the fact that it was needed in an attempt to even things out should justify a total split. What would be so bad about separate clasifications for public and private schools, as was mentioned in the other ongoing topic? Travel, no, lack of competition, no, what would be the problem?

Nobody is trying to kill the private school programs, that's just silly. The multiplier is also, the fact that it was needed in an attempt to even things out should justify a total split. What would be so bad about separate clasifications for public and private schools, as was mentioned in the other ongoing topic? Travel, no, lack of competition, no, what would be the problem?

I don't see a problem with it and am actually at this point all for it. I had much rather play schools our own size than to keep trying to play schools that are 2 and sometimes 3 times larger than we are, or just pull completely out of TSSAA. It's no longer about the kids when you are having to travel 50-60 miles to a district game to play kids chosen from an enrollment of 3 times yours, or when that same team comes to your school brings 27 fans (actual number, I counted). I miss the old public school days in the county when gyms were packed with every one in town and you were playing the next town over, 5 miles away with the same size enrollment as you, and thinking of moving back even though it would be a long drive for both of us to work. There is not that option in Jackson as there are no community schools any longer, only "zoned" ones across town.

There are virtually no pushovers in any sport among Division I private schools unless they're a start-up (school, sport or both), or unless it's a tiny school and some of those are competitive too

Virtually no pushovers is hardly the same as every team is good or even a worse interpretation, that every team is state tournament level. You also listed some new schools, naturally with developing programs, who can't be judged accurately yet.

That is a totally incorrect statement too. Most of those schools aren't new.

MTCS - founded in 1960

MJCA - founded in 1979

Columbia Academy - originally founded in 1905 as a military school; incarnation as a Christian school in 1979

Trinity - founded in 1986

Nashville Christian - founded in 1971

Grace Baptist - can't find, but the church was founded in 1985

Grace Chrisitan - founded in 1996

Fayette Academy - founded in 1965

Except for Grace Baptist (since I can't find their founding date online), all are at least 23 years old except for 1. That one is 12 years old.

What definition are you using for "new"? The convenient dismissing definition that doesn't fit your argument or something else? /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

I fail to see a real difference between "no virtually pushovers" and "none" but whatever floats your boat. I named 9 out of 31 or so D1 private schools off the top of my head to support my opinion. You are the one who made the ". . . virtually no . . ." statement which is has virtually no factual basis.

You asked for about the 99th time why all private schools are not in D2. As I have said before, here are 3 good reasons and there are others reasons-

1. The cost of providing financial aid if you expect to compete on a level plain. I am not talking about competing with MBA, BA or Ensworth. I am talking about competing with Goodpasture, FRA and Davidson Academy.

2. The cost of travel. You say it would not be a problem. I disagree. Nashville teams playing district or region games in Chattanooga, Memphis or Knoxville.

3. Given the TSSAA's history of treating D2 like a red-headed stepchild, I would not want to be in that situation.