Significant 7A News

7Awatcher

I don't mean to turn this into a softball topic but couldn't she have continued coaching at Monterey and teaching at another school in the county? I know it happens in Chattanooga all the time, including with some successful coaches.

Yes, she could have continued to coach. It was her choice not to. She knew that Adkins would leave if she didn't return. I don't know if she was bluffing in order to keep her position at MHS, but it didn't work. What is disheartening about these kids leaving is that their parents are alumni and former athletes at MHS (including coach Stevens and Heady). Monterey is a very small community, it hurts those that love the school. There is no loyalty anymore, it is all about "the ME" syndrome.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, she could have continued to coach. It was her choice not to. She knew that Adkins would leave if she didn't return. I don't know if she was bluffing in order to keep her position at MHS, but it didn't work. What is disheartening about these kids leaving is that their parents are alumni and former athletes at MHS (including coach Stevens and Heady). Monterey is a very small community, it hurts those that love the school. There is no loyalty anymore, it is all about "the ME" syndrome.

Old Coach,

You shouldn't speak on behalf of these individuals. Stevens was forced to leave. She did not choose to. She may have had a choice to stay on as a coach, but I don't blame her a bit for choosing not to. It does not work when the head coach of a sport teaches somewhere else. The Heady's decided to move their child because of the commitment level to the program from the coaches, administration, and players. The coaches missed or were late to several practices. 2/3 months had passed since the last ball game and still no conditioning was taking place,(Coach Heady starts his offseason training 3 weeks after the last ball game and does not stop until the next 3 week dead period so he knows what it takes) and when it did the girls were being left alone in the weight room, and the coaches did not show up or were late. When the head coach was pressed about this his excuse was I teach in Cookeville even though he took the job knowing he worked in Cookeville. Administration was made aware of this, but nothing was done. The players are great girls, but basketball is just a past time for them. Not a single player outside of Molly and an upcoming freshman were playing summer ball. So before you question the loyalty of Coach Heady make sure you have your facts straight. He waited 2 years to see if anything was going to get better and it didn't. He felt he had to be loyal to his daughter first, and he is willing to accept whatever follows.

Old Coach,

You shouldn't speak on behalf of these individuals. Stevens was forced to leave. She did not choose to. She may have had a choice to stay on as a coach, but I don't blame her a bit for choosing not to. It does not work when the head coach of a sport teaches somewhere else. The Heady's decided to move their child because of the commitment level to the program from the coaches, administration, and players. The coaches missed or were late to several practices. 2/3 months had passed since the last ball game and still no conditioning was taking place,(Coach Heady starts his offseason training 3 weeks after the last ball game and does not stop until the next 3 week dead period so he knows what it takes) and when it did the girls were being left alone in the weight room, and the coaches did not show up or were late. When the head coach was pressed about this his excuse was I teach in Cookeville even though he took the job knowing he worked in Cookeville. Administration was made aware of this, but nothing was done. The players are great girls, but basketball is just a past time for them. Not a single player outside of Molly and an upcoming freshman were playing summer ball. So before you question the loyalty of Coach Heady make sure you have your facts straight. He waited 2 years to see if anything was going to get better and it didn't. He felt he had to be loyal to his daughter first, and he is willing to accept whatever follows.

I am not speaking for anyone. I know what I see and hear first hand. There are too many "games" going on between coaches, players, and administration (especially administration, it has been for years). I just hate that any of this has happened, it just seems like people are abandoning a sinking ship rather than trying to save it. I look for more talented athletes to leave MHS, who can blame them now?

I, for one, do not want to be in the MHS gym to see and hear MHS alum cheering for Clarkrange, this old heart couldn't take it. I apologize if I have offended you with my comments, I will say no more.

I am not speaking for anyone. I know what I see and hear first hand. There are too many "games" going on between coaches, players, and administration (especially administration, it has been for years). I just hate that any of this has happened, it just seems like people are abandoning a sinking ship rather than trying to save it. I look for more talented athletes to leave MHS, who can blame them now?

I, for one, do not want to be in the MHS gym to see and hear MHS alum cheering for Clarkrange, this old heart couldn't take it. I apologize if I have offended you with my comments, I will say no more.

STEVENS' NUMBERS DID SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES IN THE CLASSROOM AND ON THE FIELD.SHE HAD NO SUPPORT FROM ADMINISTRATION, AND SHE WAS PUSHED OUT OF THE TOWN WHERE SHE WAS RAISED TO MAKE ROOM FOR THE BASKETBALL COACH......WOULD YOU HAVE STAYED AROUND AND COACHED?LET'S TALK ABOUT LOYALTY, AND THE "ME" SYNDROME NOW....I DON'T THINK ANYONE WOULD HAVE STAYED WITH THOSE CIRCUMSTANCES, AND TRUST ME, SHE WOULD NEVER BLUFF BY USING A PLAYER(ADKINS) TO KEEP HER JOB.

I hope that monterey can improve their athletic situation.When good people come together, and sincerely want a good program, and are not selfish, they can do it. I have said before, and now once again players do not leave good situations. They will not leave their friends, they have known all their lives just for athletics. If people do not care about other children and only care for their own, you will have a failed system. I don't know anything about monterey high school, but I would guess the posts on here are probably right. If you don't work evereyday to maintain your home it will finally fall down. This is true of all school systems. It starts with careing about other people.

I hope that monterey can improve their athletic situation.When good people come together, and sincerely want a good program, and are not selfish, they can do it. I have said before, and now once again players do not leave good situations. They will not leave their friends, they have known all their lives just for athletics. If people do not care about other children and only care for their own, you will have a failed system. I don't know anything about monterey high school, but I would guess the posts on here are probably right. If you don't work evereyday to maintain your home it will finally fall down. This is true of all school systems. It starts with careing about other people.

All of this is pretty sad and for someone to make some sense of it, is very difficult. 7A is made up of six smaller high schools in a rather remote area in the great Upper Cumberland, one of the most beautiful areas in Tennessee but due to the geographics and travel, six small schools exist with a lot of history behind them. They are Jackson County in Gainsboro, Monterrey in Monterrey, down the road from Monterrey is Clarkrange, and then there is Clay County, Pickett county, and then Red Boiling Springs which is on the eastern side of Macon County. This poster could be wrong and Jimbo can correct, Gainesboro is the largest town of all the schools and is the home of Jackson County

On the other hand 7AA is made up of larger schools. Upperman is West of Cookeville, close to Baxter. York is East of Cookeville, Livingston is a little East of Cookeville,Cannon is in Woodbury between Cookeville and Miurfreesboro but closer to Murfreesboro , Macon is in Lafayette and Dekalb County is in Smithville.

Al lof these towns LOVE their schools who have been the center of their respective communities and the reason for the communities being there, ie, the anguish of the culture change of families changing schools. As many know, these communities have families who have not only gone to school with each other but Church with each other, have owned small businesses there and now due to population changes in the area, things are trying to change like it or not. One might blame all of this on recruiting, etc, BUT that may not be the reason for the social turmoil. One thing is for sure, the area is made up of a hearty group of families that have loved their communities and have loved the sports they compete with their neighbors in the other small communities that make up the area.

It seems that as this poster remembers it that Gainesboro, Jackson County, has the better road system in the area and is in the middle of the geographical area and it is easier to get to the High School. Except for the businesses in the small towns in A schools, people work in Cookeville, Gainesboro, Livingston, Carthage and Smithville. A lot of comments about education expresses the need some feel for transfers however a strong feeling for community is also extremely strong. Such are all of the reasons for the seemingly disagreements that are occuring. No principal nor does any community want to lose their school which is their identity. Does the area need all of those schools? The area is transferring so much, travel must not be much of a problem to do so because it is being done now. Is the education system able to provide for the needs of the young people in that area with the smaller schools? As has been thought by some, is the transferring more than just recruiting? If there has ever been a time for someone on a regional basis to look at an area that looks to be out of control, now may be the time. But to do so it looks to be politically disasterous.

This is an emotionally packed situation that will continue to go on. Everyone enjoys the banter that goes on except those directly involved as it some cases the matter of life and death to a way of life. Everyone hopes reasoning will pravail and that the citizens in both the 7A and 7AA area are able to resolve the education conflicts of the counties involved and , in turn, resolve the sports issues involved.

To try to look at this logically only irritates every one. There are too many small groups in the area and it appears that the tact is to let everyone who has some thoughts, try to bounce their thought s off of each other until someone wears out and a solution is finally taken by default. They are doing it by transferring their kids to the excellence that a school might exhibit and while sports is the whipping boy, it evidently is not the total problem.. This might finally be the solution when it is found that the area cannot support all of the schools involved.

Oh me??¦.. oldcoach where do I begin?

First, who could blame Amy for not feeling ???loyalty??? to a school that didn??™t have her back & say ???No, we really need her in our school & on the field???? I don??™t think it??™s about being bitter it??™s about not letting people run over you and not appreciate you then you turn around and the same people expect you to still help them??¦. I sure wouldn??™t do it.

Second, you can set back all you want & say ???it??™s ashamed that people don??™t have loyalty to their school?????¦.blah, blah, blah. You can look from the stands all you want but the BOTTOM LINE is when it??™s your kid??¦.you will do what??™s best for them. I have heard so many people say ???Oh I would never move my kids because of sports??? but when it??™s your kids eyes looking @ you telling you how unhappy they are??¦.you would walk through fire for them! A move to another school/county is minor compared to what I would go through for my kid. So EVERYONE can set back & say I would or wouldn??™t do this but the fact of the matter is you DON??™T know what you would do until you??™re in that situation.

This mornings Tennessean had a story on the plight of York Institute and what is going to happen to the school. it is in need of a good bit of repair. So who will take it over and who will get the repair done. It's unlikely Alvin York will not be saved but will it be a school. Tihings are happening at a very fast pace and no one knows how this is going to play out.

This mornings Tennessean had a story on the plight of York Institute and what is going to happen to the school. it is in need of a good bit of repair. So who will take it over and who will get the repair done. It's unlikely Alvin York will not be saved but will it be a school. Tihings are happening at a very fast pace and no one knows how this is going to play out.

I think it is referring to the original YAI built by Alvin C. York in 1927. . It is right next to the school built in 1980. The old building is a threat to the new building.

I think it is referring to the original YAI built by Alvin C. York in 1927. . It is right next to the school built in 1980. The old building is a threat to the new building.

Is it a threat becasue there is an issue as to who is going to keep it up and the 1980 school is tied to the1927 school. If that is the case, who owns the old building and its upkeep? It is a historical site and relatives of ACY still live in the area.

Is it a threat becasue there is an issue as to who is going to keep it up and the 1980 school is tied to the1927 school. If that is the case, who owns the old building and its upkeep? It is a historical site and relatives of ACY still live in the area.

I personally would like to see the building restored. Any way, here is a link to the restoration process. Alvin C. York

The article pretty much tells the story. The state offered to deed the schools to Fentress County...but they declined.