REALIGNMENT WATCH OUT !

Well here we go again, $$$$$ talks ! All you coacht'ers need to express your thoughts on this issue, there are a few different plans that the board of control will vote on this week, there is even talk of dropping the multiplier and all us small guys know what that means. Ronnie Carter quoted in the tennessean that the multiplier hasnt worked. In the 3 school years before the multiplier private schools won 32 division 1 state titles, in the 3 years since they have won 33. Looks like the answer to that would be to increase the multiplier, but what do I know. Sure there are some small issues to be presented and worked on but the whole system is not in shambles. 6 st titles will be up for grabs under one of the plans all that means is another revenue source for TSSAA, if some of you people are aware of these issues please give your comments.

If you are going to have a multiplier rule for private schools, then you should also have a multiplier rule for all open zoned public and all magnet public schools.

The urban/rural plan is an absolute joke. Kids playing for really small schools who are forced to play much larger schools in an urban setting will run an even greater risk of injury. There will be many a game that would be better classified as slaughters. This plan has no business even being considered.

I beleive that the current system is a complete failure. It is just plain goofy to have a playoff system in effect for one class (2A) and the other classes going by different rules. Not to mention, the multiplier rule is discriminatory IMO.

I see the TSSAA getting rid of the multiplier rule altogether. I also see them going with the 6 class "Z Plan". This would be the most equitable plan for the public and private schools to still play together as they should. It would also be the most equitable for the smallest of the football playing public schools.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see the TSSAA getting rid of the multiplier rule altogether. I also see them going with the 6 class "Z Plan". This would be the most equitable plan for the public and private schools to still play together as they should. It would also be the most equitable for the smallest of the football playing public schools.

Thats what I hope they do.

If that can't be worked out I wish that they would do a complete split of public and private as many have said, but I would hope for plenty of non-region games and events that would match up a public and private in all sports. The playoffs should be strictly public and private split, but keep DI and DII for privates, because there are many private schools that can't afford to give aid, as opposed to the well-established MBA's and Ensworth's with gigantic endowments, and those schools would struggle mightily if they were grouped with the big dogs.

Probobly won't happen, but I wish it could.

If you are going to have a multiplier rule for private schools, then you should also have a multiplier rule for all open zoned public and all magnet public schools.

The urban/rural plan is an absolute joke. Kids playing for really small schools who are forced to play much larger schools in an urban setting will run an even greater risk of injury. There will be many a game that would be better classified as slaughters. This plan has no business even being considered.

You hit the nail on the head.......but that's not what it is all about! From the outside looking in.....one has to only assume, by the mere ignorance of some of the solutions proposed on this issue, that the main goal of the TSSAA is a complete split....they just don't want to be responsible for it. Easier to run em all off than to suggest it themselves! "Can't compete in AA.....well here then, try the rural/urban split! That will be much better for us.....I mean you."

Would some...just one....of the so called "private-haters" (sounds harsh)....please give me a reasonable explanation on the difference between magnet, metro open-zoned and private!? This seems to end topics pretty quick..but go ahead....I'll wait. And please don't give me the recruiting, financial aid BS.....if that were true, everyone of you would be on the phone to Ronnie instead of here posting away! Talking D1 privates, by the way!

Split em.....split em hard, split em quick, split em soon!......Did I mention to split them?

We are ready to take our ball and go home!

You hit the nail on the head.......but that's not what it is all about! From the outside looking in.....one has to only assume, by the mere ignorance of some of the solutions proposed on this issue, that the main goal of the TSSAA is a complete split....they just don't want to be responsible for it. Easier to run em all off than to suggest it themselves! "Can't compete in AA.....well here then, try the rural/urban split! That will be much better for us.....I mean you."

Would some...just one....of the so called "private-haters" (sounds harsh)....please give me a reasonable explanation on the difference between magnet, metro open-zoned and private!? This seems to end topics pretty quick..but go ahead....I'll wait. And please don't give me the recruiting, financial aid BS.....if that were true, everyone of you would be on the phone to Ronnie instead of here posting away! Talking D1 privates, by the way!

Split em.....split em hard, split em quick, split em soon!......Did I mention to split them?

We are ready to take our ball and go home!

Okay, Baller as an apparent "private sympathizer" what do you feel is the number one reason for the private schools continuous domination of State Championships in most all sports? I think what everyone is after is a level playing field. I can't say for sure what the exact "edge" is that they have. Perhaps it is the ability to pull athletes into their school without any zoning penalties. Perhaps it is a more advantageous atmosphere for learning. Perhaps it is better paid and more skilled coaches. I truly don't know the answer. I do know there is a huge imbalance when it comes to overall championships in every sport and that is what we as public school parents would like to see corrected. The multiplier experiment hasn't worked so I don't know what the answer is. Seems like a "split" as you say may be the best option.

I have been waiting for a long time to say some things about classification. So here goes...

I think you will see 3 classes that will all split into 6 classes for football championships in D - 1. You will have 2 classes in D - 2 that will have championships. That will give us 8 Football champions. Too many / too few, who the heck knows. Some blame Riverdale for creating this BS mess, some blame RC. It makes no differnece what the T$$AA does today through Thursday, EVERYONE AINT GONNA BE PLEASED.

Here is a new and novel idea. Lets go to 5 classes and play privates and publics TOGETHER. Everybody always blamed the split on Riverdale not being able to beat BA, well Coach Rankin is now at Alcoa and he probably has a greater opportunity to recruit then he did at Riverdale (don't know if he did or not), he has not lost to Goodpasture in the last two years, so he wouldn't have a gripe PLUS the rumor in and around K-town he has the most talented young players they have ever had coming up thru the ranks.

Now the Z plan is supposed to save money. I don't care where Maryville goes they have an easy road...3 county games (Alcoa, Billy Blunt, Heritage). If they stay in 4a the farthest travel they have or will have is Clinton or Anderson County. If they go to 5A the longest road trip will be Bearden, Farragut or Hardin Valley. Now granted Maryville will have to find 2 non region games cause Blount and heritage will be in their region. I will be glad to help them get a schedule...lets see Oak Ridge, Baylor, McCallie, D-B, BA, Smyrna or you can go and play Karns, West, Science Hill, Jeff Co, Sevier Co. All of these schools will be in the same 5A class...or you can continue on down the food chain and play Powell, Central, Halls, AC.

Last but not least Maryville will be in the playoffs because there only competition will be West, OR, Karns, HVA, heritage, Blount, Bearden, Farragut. From what I have heard 2 of those teams will make the playoffs.

Now, all of the Maryville faithfull can get on here and shot down what I just said. Rural/ urban aint got a chance, staying pat is not gonna work, all we got left is ZZZZZZZZZZ plan. And everybody knows that what the Maryville Board member wants, he usually gets.

Would some...just one....of the so called "private-haters" (sounds harsh)....please give me a reasonable explanation on the difference between magnet, metro open-zoned and private!? This seems to end topics pretty quick..but go ahead....I'll wait.

Like I said..........I will wait.........

You know....this is not even about Championships for us. It would be nice to win a district game every once in a while! Real hard to do that when everyone else has 6-800 more students than you!

I, like you, have no idea what the answer is. I just think if the same set of lop-sided rules were imposed on the public school system......THE WORLD WOULD COME CRASHING DOWN!

You can't help but get a sense that the majority of this is about the "haves" and the "have nots". You hope that is not true, yet it's about time someone called it like it is. This misconception in turn is "lop-sided". Don't burn the masses for the "haves" of the few!

If there was an all out split........We have NO false ambitions of ending up in Murfreesboro EVERY year. That would probably be less of a possibility than it is now! YET, we would be participating on a "LEVEL PLAYING FIELD".....................Unlike now! Novel idea, don't you think?

Unless you have only 1 public in your county all your publics are open zoned.Privates aren't open zoned, their zone is closed financially. It is a much more restrictive zone than the geographic zone most publics have. That is why most privates are small.

Maybe I'm using the wrong term...it's my understanding that the public schools in my county and most other counties have specific geographic zones/boundaries that determine which school you attend. This is what I would call closed zones. Private schools do not have these specific geographic zones/boundaries so I would call their zones open zones. The money does limit them though...that's why they're usually small and in more densely populated areas.

Maybe I'm using the wrong term...it's my understanding that the public schools in my county and most other counties have specific geographic zones/boundaries that determine which school you attend. This is what I would call closed zones. Private schools do not have these specific geographic zones/boundaries so I would call their zones open zones. The money does limit them though...that's why they're usually small and in more densely populated areas.

It is my understanding the county lines are the bounderies, kids can attend any school in their county.

Like I said..........I will wait.........

You know....this is not even about Championships for us. It would be nice to win a district game every once in a while! Real hard to do that when everyone else has 6-800 more students than you!

I, like you, have no idea what the answer is. I just think if the same set of lop-sided rules were imposed on the public school system......THE WORLD WOULD COME CRASHING DOWN!

You can't help but get a sense that the majority of this is about the "haves" and the "have nots". You hope that is not true, yet it's about time someone called it like it is. This misconception in turn is "lop-sided". Don't burn the masses for the "haves" of the few!

If there was an all out split........We have NO false ambitions of ending up in Murfreesboro EVERY year. That would probably be less of a possibility than it is now! YET, we would be participating on a "LEVEL PLAYING FIELD".....................Unlike now! Novel idea, don't you think?

Baller, which private school are you referring to that isn't even able to win a district game? Just curious.. (thanks)

Baller, which private school are you referring to that isn't even able to win a district game? Just curious.. (thanks)

USJ in Jackson has not faired well since the Multiplier went in to effect. I think the football team has gone like 5-25 in a three year period.....Boy's basketball is 1-19 in district play over the past couple of years...........Oh yea, but then there is baseball (which I know will get brought up). This just adds to the dilema. They will always be able to compete in baseball, regardless of classification. How to wash all that out is just another problem. Is it the physical aspect of the difference between the three.....I could say that, yet I'm sure there would be nay-sayers as well.

I get carried away sometimes and probably run my mouth too much, exaggerating a little along the way. I don't think we will ever be able to compete in AA in the two sports where to me, size matters. Noticed I mentioned "compete". I have no false aspirations of winning all the time, just gets old being slaughtered by schools three times your size.