Alcoa 2008

patty504

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alcoa did a lot of good things. I thought they looked good, especially after only a couple days of practice. You can tell the talent and playmakers are there. Chase James made a number of good throws to Tyler Robinson, who caught everything in sight and also to Sam Thompson. Thompson had two long tds and Tyler Robinson caught another. Chase showed that he can makes some great throws but his obvious two biggest assets were taken away, which are qb run and then turning around and handing the ball to jaron toney, taharin tyson and darrell warren. The player that probably opened the most eyes was soph wr steven isom, the nephew of former alcoa qb michael george. Isom is about 6'1 and made some great catches including one amazing catch in the back of the end zone for a td. Alcoas offense is not well suited for a passing league game or passing scrimmages because most of their passing game is based off play action but it was good to see the coaches stick to their plan with running their offense and getting better although they probably knew that with a passing game based on getting LB's lost in traffic with boot and draw fakes the defense probably had a bit of an advantage because they didnt have to respect fakes. The defense for alcoa did a pretty good job with an impressive spread offense from WB. Daniel Cline, who is looking to replace troy hodge at lb at 2 ints.

First possession Willy B drove down and scored and i believe the was the last time they did. Sam Thompson had an 80 yard TD and Steven Isom had two TDs...Daniel Cline brought an interception back for 6 and Chase James really showed up...he was throwing great /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

First possession Willy B drove down and scored and i believe the was the last time they did. Sam Thompson had an 80 yard TD and Steven Isom had two TDs...Daniel Cline brought an interception back for 6 and Chase James really showed up...he was throwing great /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

If you read the region 3-3A thread, you'l see where a McMinn Central fan claimed they beat Alcoa in a scrimmage. I told them that Central declined a scrimmage with Alcoa, and what their lunatic fans don't realize is that a multi-team controlled scrimmage is not the same as a game-type condition, officiated scrimmage that Central was invited to play Alcoa in, but wisely declined. I can't get over the fact that their fans suddenly think they can play with the big boys just because they won their region last year, which is historically a weak region in the playoffs. I might add that Central at 9-1 lost in the FIRST ROUND of the state playoffs, on their home field, to a 5-5 team that barely finished 4th place in their region. McMinn Central will be a decent team, but their fans live in a dream world if they think Central will even make it past the first round of the state playoffs - if that far!

I always enjoy watching the Alcoa - Maryville game when I can attend. Those two teams fans know their football!

If you read the region 3-3A thread, you'l see where a McMinn Central fan claimed they beat Alcoa in a scrimmage. I told them that Central declined a scrimmage with Alcoa, and what their lunatic fans don't realize is that a multi-team controlled scrimmage is not the same as a game-type condition, officiated scrimmage that Central was invited to play Alcoa in, but wisely declined. I can't get over the fact that their fans suddenly think they can play with the big boys just because they won their region last year, which is historically a weak region in the playoffs. I might add that Central at 9-1 lost in the FIRST ROUND of the state playoffs, on their home field, to a 5-5 team that barely finished 4th place in their region. McMinn Central will be a decent team, but their fans live in a dream world if they think Central will even make it past the first round of the state playoffs - if that far!

I always enjoy watching the Alcoa - Maryville game when I can attend. Those two teams fans know their football!

Alcoa did scrimmage McMinn Central in the spring, but there was no way Alcoa was going to be taken down by them at all...Alcoa didn't even play their best, with a few unwanted turnovers, and still came out on top...KEEP DREAMING /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Alcoa did scrimmage McMinn Central in the spring, but there was no way Alcoa was going to be taken down by them at all...Alcoa didn't even play their best, with a few unwanted turnovers, and still came out on top...KEEP DREAMING /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Yep, plus both Toneys, Tyler Robinson, Sam Thompson, and others on the sideline in street clothes. The totals at the end was Alcoa by two TD's /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I do agree that the McMinn Central team Alcoa played last spring is much better than last years team, but not nearly as much as the Tornadoes, even with some of their older guys on the sidelines, as you said BCsportsfan...McMinn couldn't beat Alcoa even when basically all the Tornadoes had was sophomores and freshmen going against their varsity

Has anyone heard anything about upcoming freshmen Cody Lewis?

Hes got great hands and is a smart player for his age...he isn't very big but i know that he works his butt off in the weight room, and he will be a valuable asset to the team over the next few years...ahsfootball welcome to the site /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

BUTTER did you er anyone else notiss if a #80 fer Alcouh caut enny passes?......

it was kinda hard to tell with those shirts they were wearing, but i believe i saw him catch two or three...

1's vs 1's ...I believe it was Alcoa 2 tds to Blount's 1. Not sure how you get an 80 yd td when you're playing on a 40 yd field and I don't believe it's possible to bring an interception back for 6 in a 7 on 7 passing scrimmage.

For Alcoa ... Thompson and Robinson and Chase James looked really sharp. For Blount, the Garner kid looked good, Cope played his usual solid game, qb's Burton and Witt both showed flashes of good. Another good athlete for Blount this year will be Zach Thomason (he was #11 in the scrimmage).

Somebody made the good point that this 7 on 7 really doesn't lend itself well to Alcoa's style of offense... and it's really the same for WB. When you're defending the pass and you know the back is not going to get the hand-off, it makes it a heck of a lot easier to defend.

I sure hope that the "powers that be" can reach some kind of mutual understanding and get Alcoa vs WB back on the schedule someday. I miss the game. Best of luck to the Tornadoes this year ... I fully expect them to bring back another gold ball to Blount County.

1's vs 1's ...I believe it was Alcoa 2 tds to Blount's 1. Not sure how you get an 80 yd td when you're playing on a 40 yd field and I don't believe it's possible to bring an interception back for 6 in a 7 on 7 passing scrimmage.

For Alcoa ... Thompson and Robinson and Chase James looked really sharp. For Blount, the Garner kid looked good, Cope played his usual solid game, qb's Burton and Witt both showed flashes of good. Another good athlete for Blount this year will be Zach Thomason (he was #11 in the scrimmage).

Somebody made the good point that this 7 on 7 really doesn't lend itself well to Alcoa's style of offense... and it's really the same for WB. When you're defending the pass and you know the back is not going to get the hand-off, it makes it a heck of a lot easier to defend.

I sure hope that the "powers that be" can reach some kind of mutual understanding and get Alcoa vs WB back on the schedule someday. I miss the game. Best of luck to the Tornadoes this year ... I fully expect them to bring back another gold ball to Blount County.

The last series was played on an 80 yard field. Alcoa two offensive series and WB, two offensive series. All starting at their own 20 yard line. Alcoa scored both times. WB scored one time, and the next series Alcoa intercepted a pass close to the end zone.

Zach Witt #12 moved them across the field and threw a 20-30 yard pass for WB's first 80 yard drive. Burton #5 the QB on the second series threw a "give me" pass that was picked off. I really think Zach is the QB to beat at WB. Yea, #11 for WB is fast and can turn on a dime!

Hopefully the high cost of travel will bring back the inter county games between Alcoa, WB, & Heritage.