Private 83 - Public 48

yellowdog

Do private schools really have advantages over public schools? Make of it what you want, but here are the facts (taken from TSSAA website).

Take all sports and look at champions for the past 10 years of the smallest classification in that sport. You will find that only in football, girls basketball, and soccer have public's won more than privates.

There have been 131 state championships and 83 have been won by private schools.

This means that private schools, which make up less than 30% of the schools in the lowest classifications have won 63% of the championships.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why this is somewhat accurate it is very misleading.

1. You forgot to mention wrestling. Which in the last 10 years is 8-2 publics. Plus those 2 wins by privates were done by McCallie before the DII split. So really those wins are irrelevant to this discusion since publics schools don't have to worry about them now.

2. Guys soccer is actually tied 5-5 for the last 10 years. But if you considers that 3 of those wins were done by schools that are now in DII then those are irrelevant too.

3. Girls Track is 6-4 public. However all 4 of the private championships were won by Harpeth Hall before the split so those are irrelevant too.

4. Girls Volleyball is 6-4 private but once again 5 of those were won by schools now in DII, so really it 4-1 publics.

5. Boys Golf is 6-4 private but once again 5 of those were won by schools in that are now in DII. In fact this was the first year a private A/AA school has won it since the DI/II split.

6. Girls Cross Country is 8-2 private but 5 of those were won by schools now in DII. Privates still have a 3-2 majority however.

7. As for sports like tennis where a public school has never won in A/AA I have this to say. Tennis is definately an urban sport and to be good at tennis you need to have summer leagues and coaches and tournaments to help you get better. Things like this are not as prevelant in rural areas as they are in urban areas where most private schools are located.

So while those facts are true they are certainly very misleading because if you take in to account that many of the schools that won those 80 something championships are now in DII then those are irrelevant to this new discussion because publics schools don't have to worry about them any longer.

Harpeth Hall was AA in the old system, as was GPS. (HH only has a real enrollment of 347, which becomes 694 when adjusted for all-female; GPS's is 211, which becomes 422, but either they were larger previously or chose to play up one step.) In all girls' sports other than basketball and softball, A-AA combined is the lowest class.

Comparing years before and after the split is indeed misleading, but not for the obvious reason. Prior to the split, private schools were a far greater proportion of Class A than they are now (remember, while most small Nashville privates went D1, every private school in Shelby County elected D2 status).

There is only 1 class in wrestling. I don't think a school that has less than a AAA enrollment has ever won it anyway. Maybe I shouldn't even have brought it up but I was just doing so to show that publics dominate wrestling.

As for Harpeth Hall they were in the smallest class for sports like volleyball, girls soccer, and track when they were in DI. As was said by another poster there are only two girls where there is a 1A classification: softball and basketball. In all other girls sports the classification is A/AA and AAA. So A/AA is the smallest classification in many sports.

[Edited by sportsguy1 on 7/24/02 9:41P]

My school does not participate in wrestling, so my kowledge is limited. However I do have access to the TSSAA website and it says as follows:

In the 1990's the following private schools won the state title: Brentood Academy(three times-small), Father Ryan(three times-large), McCallie(four times-large).

The site broke it down to "small" and "large", so that contradicts your statement of there being only one class. As I said, my knowledge is limited.

Do you still stand by your statement that public's dominate wrestling