"Transfers"

auntkim

One of the biggest issues I see, is how good players transferring ( particularly in single A ) can effect the outcome of the whole season for a team. Usually in single A you are lucky if you have 1 REALLY good player and a supporting cast...if you have 2 or more REALLY good players you are usually going to win the District and probably the Region and beyond.....My point here is how can this small school hope to compete during the season if they lose their REALLY good player? And how can other small schools hope to compete against schools who have all of the best players? I am NOT fingering 7A or any particular school.....although I will get accused of it... I am just asking a question with no easy answer.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there are some very good posts on this thread and good arguements both "pro" and "con" so i don't want people think i'm trying to belittle any of what has been written by what i'm about to say, i just want everyone to know this. Everyone seems to be focusing in on a couple of girls transferring in District 7A. There was one transfer last year that had everyone up in arms, a few years before that there were a couple of transfers that took place and its almost as if "some" notice i said "some" not all, but some people either think or try to imply that this doesn't really happen outside of District 7A girls basketball and thats just not even close to the truth. District 7A and girls basketball in general pales in comparison to what happens in high school football. Where you might have one or two a year transfer, in football its alot higher than that. With Blount and Shelby Counties having "open enrollment" there are several transfers every year, add that in with the "private schools" and while i don't have the official numbers in front of me , i would wager its 20 or 30 times the kids transferring in just one sport, thats not including Mens Basketball, Soccer, Baseball, Softball, etc... So my point is why is everyone so "up in arms" if you will, over a couple of transfers that take place? It happens all across the state, and the nation and it has for years. I believe it was two years ago when two of Mt.Juliets best players transferred to Wilson Central so it happens all over not in just one area. So i guess i'm asking why is there so much focus on these one or two transfers? /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

Can't compare football to basketball, 50-70 players a team, compared to 12 for basketball. Football numbers will always be greater.

Can't compare football to basketball, 50-70 players a team, compared to 12 for basketball. Football numbers will always be greater.

Sure you can, you're not talking about teams here. The discussion is about individual players transferring and my point is it happens state wide in every sport!

I concur that there have been a lot of good posts on this topic. Girls "transfer" for lots of reasons. Some of them good or legitimate reasons and some of them for selfish reasons. There are many good kids and parents out there. Unfortunately there are many parents trying to live out their athletic fantacies through their kids. There are many "prima donnas" as well. The bottom line is that most of us don't know the true reasons for these transfers and we would be better off not judging. Speculating is okay because that's what makes these posts enjoyable.

As far as recruiting - yes it does happen. How widespread or how often who really knows? I've had coaches - both private and public and AAU- tell me that if my daughter wasn't happy with her current team they would love to have her. To me that is not recruiting. It is advertisement.

As far as private schools advertising on radio they have to. They do not get tax payer dollars to operate their schools. They rely mostly on tuition dollars to pay their bills. That is not recruiting. I think people pick on them because of some schools success(BA, etc). I think many of their transfers are there because they want to play for highly successful coaches and programs. They want to play a tough schedule and because these programs have successful sent kids to big colleges these kids and their families want to get that kind of exposure.

I have another question maybe someone can help me with....I know of a case where a player transferred to another school in her District and she had to sit out a year. What is the criteria for a player having to sit out a year or a player who can just transfer and play?

/bored.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":bored:" border="0" alt="bored.gif" /> /bored.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":bored:" border="0" alt="bored.gif" />

Yeah that was a mess of a sentence. Lol. I'm saying-in some cases-if the individual player is as talented as a parent may believe, then her team would be stronger or even among the strongest and there would be no reason to transfer. This goes for all sports, not just basketball. And yes I understand not all transfers are about going to a better team, I'm somewhat familiar with one of the high profile transfers and it appears things could have gone better at the former school. But even in cases where a transfer might be necessary, the destination is probably already a good or top program and adds fuel to the transfer/implied recruiting fire.

Exactly, Eat your heart out 'i smell a gold ball heading for J.C Re cruit's ,transfer, or what ever suit,s your fantisy,iam going all the way with J.C. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

I have another question maybe someone can help me with....I know of a case where a player transferred to another school in her District and she had to sit out a year. What is the criteria for a player having to sit out a year or a player who can just transfer and play?

The family must move into the new school zone. Be it rural or public, they must physically relocate their home there. They cannot go back to their prior residence, have any utilities in their name for 1 full year. After that then they may return to their prior home if they wish without penalty as i understand it. If the player in question is in middle school they can move as many times as they like without penalty. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

The family must move into the new school zone. Be it rural or public, they must physically relocate their home there. They cannot go back to their prior residence, have any utilities in their name for 1 full year. After that then they may return to their prior home if they wish without penalty as i understand it. If the player in question is in middle school they can move as many times as they like without penalty. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

UMMM. Utilities for one full year? Hadn't heard of that one.

I definately think we are free to move where we decide that we would like to live. I also think that public high school coaches whose salaries are paid by the taxpayers of there county, along with local sponsorship of county business's etc..., should NEVER under any CIRCUMSTANCE recruit players. Offering free rent, money allowances, jobs, is not legal but as we all know it happens. The TSSAA should make an effort to do there job, and put a stop to these practices. AND, for those who said that a Coach just plays his best players, is obviously very niave as to the REAL WORLD. No they do not always play their best players, think about it, if someone goes to extra effort, moves there entire family, makes underhanded deals, knows your secrets about recruitment practices and so forth, then who do think the Coachs loyalty truly belongs to? In case your not sure, I'll tell you, its NOT the local kid, who may be as good or possibly even a better player, Coaches loyalty is to the transfer who knows the goods on him. Sorry, but sometimes the truth can be harsh!

Yea, that's what happened to the kid that played football for Milan a couple years ago where they had to forfeit 5 kids. They had a rental house in Milan but were still located in Jackson, if I remember correctly. I've heard the utility thing as well.

That is a different thing if 5 out of zone kids, not related, nor with their parents, in a rental house, pay utility bills and their parents live in another location.