sequoyah lets talk football

vonore65

What are some of the thoughts from last night? Overall I thought it was a good scrimmage. There were some sputters on offense and defense, but I would think that was expected. I got there late, so I didn't get to see the first of it. What I saw that I thought was very important, was that several of the "back-ups" stepped up and played well which indicates depth which is something that has hardly ever been considered reliable at Sequoyah. Through the years there has been depth at certain positions, but this team looks like it has more depth at more positions, which will be key. By the way, red_nation, appreciate the talk we had last night. Best of luck to you this year with your players.

It's my observation, and I hate to be negative, that if Harriman did not fumble the first three offensive series they might have scored all 3 times instead of 1. The fumbles were the only thing that stopped their drives. The only time I saw our defense stop their first team was at the very end of the night. On the other hand, our offense in the early going looked good. The passing game clicked better than the running game. That's not to say that we did bad running the ball though. It is still apparent to me that our defense needs the brunt of the work.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's my observation, and I hate to be negative, that if Harriman did not fumble the first three offensive series they might have scored all 3 times instead of 1. The fumbles were the only thing that stopped their drives. The only time I saw our defense stop their first team was at the very end of the night. On the other hand, our offense in the early going looked good. The passing game clicked better than the running game. That's not to say that we did bad running the ball though. It is still apparent to me that our defense needs the brunt of the work.

I don't know about that. Harriman did not have one sustained drive all night. They hit the long pass and got the int. on our six yard line for a score. Fumbles are part of the game and I don't think Sequoyah had any by the first unit. Harriman did not help themselves that is for sure. Berrong has only been on board a few days, I think he will give the defense some direction! Another big factor is Harriman already had one scrimmage under there belt. Harriman's front four were pretty darn good. My biggest disappointment was the pass protection breaking down a few times. All in all though wasn't bad first time out. They need to show big strides execution wise next week against Coalfield.

I'd say neither team was happy, but you have to make mistakes before you can correct them.

Harriman ran 30 varsity plays and had six fumbles, losing three. That will lose you a lot of games. I guess the good news would be that they were moving the chains until the loose balls.

For Sequoyah, they didn't have a consistent running game. I did think Sequoyah dished out some good hits on defense. They do need to work on the pass protection because they're passing attack wasn't nearly effective when Harriman started blitzing about halfway through the scrimmage.

I'd say neither team was happy, but you have to make mistakes before you can correct them.

Harriman ran 30 varsity plays and had six fumbles, losing three. That will lose you a lot of games. I guess the good news would be that they were moving the chains until the loose balls.

For Sequoyah, they didn't have a consistent running game. I did think Sequoyah dished out some good hits on defense. They do need to work on the pass protection because they're passing attack wasn't nearly effective when Harriman started blitzing about halfway through the scrimmage.

Goosevol makes some good points, Harriman stopped themselves, but that Blue Devil offense was so tight it was very hard to read, reminded me of Catholic a couple of seasons ago. I was glad to see some kids step up their game last night. Thought Brewster, Corvette and even Helms played well on defense. Yep our pass coverage is in need of some help. Offensively, we had some bright spots, thought getting White into the open field (with a pass) was huge. Harriman was big up front on defense and posed some problems. Thought the "heat monkey" got on our back a little quick, and it will just take a little time to adjust to the heat and then they will be able to keep their legs under them. What time is the Coalfield scrimmage?

OK done got question about my post, so I'll explain. I thought Brewster was bringing the "wood" and tattooing some folks, Corvette's speed was impressive, he ran down a reciever from the other side of the field! Helms may have not made many tackles but, he did his job (for the most part) making the running backs turn back up field. I thought our outside LB looked a bit rusty. Come on folks, this is just my opinion, it means absolutely nothing. GO CHIEFS!!! BLACK & BLUE = RED!!!

I don't know about that. Harriman did not have one sustained drive all night. They hit the long pass and got the int. on our six yard line for a score. Fumbles are part of the game and I don't think Sequoyah had any by the first unit. Harriman did not help themselves that is for sure. Berrong has only been on board a few days, I think he will give the defense some direction! Another big factor is Harriman already had one scrimmage under there belt. Harriman's front four were pretty darn good. My biggest disappointment was the pass protection breaking down a few times. All in all though wasn't bad first time out. They need to show big strides execution wise next week against Coalfield.

I agree with you about the fumbles. Turnovers are a big part of the game. We protected the ball well and they didn't. Harriman didn't seem to have any trouble moving it before the fumbles, though. Especially if they ran off-tackle and out. Those edges are where Harriman got their yardage. You are right about Berrong. With a full staff they can start to iron out the kinks that they haven't been able to address with only 3 coaches on hand. SO said that Dave Evans was out helping with the punting game today. I like Dave a lot but boy he sure clashed with the blue haiwaiin shirt against those red uniforms.

So Harriman didn't have a sustained drive all night against a very tough Sequoyah (lol)? I guess Harriman fans will say that they played their JV players or something. Always excuses from "DEM DEVILS." Haha. Go Oneida.

Just in case anyone missed it, Detroit 13, New York 10. Jerome Felton (from Sequoyah) did not have any rushes in the game but one reception out of the backfield. It was only for 6 yards, but what makes it cool is, the fact he is now playing in the National Football League. Thats just awesome, GO CHIEFS!!!

So Harriman didn't have a sustained drive all night against a very tough Sequoyah (lol)? I guess Harriman fans will say that they played their JV players or something. Always excuses from "DEM DEVILS." Haha. Go Oneida.

And "DEM DEVILS" still won the scrimmage. Haha. You Indians better stick with that tough LA team.