Dobyns Bennett Football 2008

WaCo…hurry get the fire extinguisher…their burnin them leaves again!!! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> Just kiddin.

Not sure what all you said but…ok /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> . TopVols son was Tomas Hill the SHHS QB/WR. I thought you knew. That whole thing was an unfortunate situation and I wouldn’t touch it with a ten foot pole even now. About the scrimmages…I think you were riding a bigger horse last year, but we will see. At THS we like to sharpen our tools during practice and use scrimmages to see if they work. We all know how sharp your knife has to be to slice butter, but what’s it going to do on the beef?? Greeneville let us know that we need to get the sharpener back out. Now if you’re slicing butter all pre season and you thinking its all good…what happens when you run into a big side of BEEF? Does Greeneville vs. South 07’ Part 1 ring any bells?!! /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Cap1 your one of only a few on here with a sinse of humor. And one of only a few that knows what a scrimmage is for. Heck some coaches don't even get it.

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wondering what hapened to our defense,I understand what must have happened on offense.

My guess is a long ride to Knoxville after the second day of school had something to do with their focus. I think the Maryville scrimmage will be a better gauge of where we will stand come Week 0.

Just wondering what hapened to our defense,I understand what must have happened on offense.

Last year DB looked worse in every scrimmage than any team I have ever seen at DB. When the season started they were a pretty tough football team. Sure, they lost a couple there in the first half of the season, but they were close games and to top 5 ranked teams. They may do the same this year, but they'll be tough and they'll be much better by season's end (when it counts) Don't read to much into these scrimmage's. You never really know what the coaches are trying to do unless you sit down and talk to them. And even then their not going to go into detail. Im sure they were trying some new stuff, and playing some players in different positions. And then theres the film trading thing. Their not going to show anything for the cameras. Those tapes will be all over the place.

Last year DB looked worse in every scrimmage than any team I have ever seen at DB. When the season started they were a pretty tough football team. Sure, they lost a couple there in the first half of the season, but they were close games and to top 5 ranked teams. They may do the same this year, but they'll be tough and they'll be much better by season's end (when it counts) Don't read to much into these scrimmage's. You never really know what the coaches are trying to do unless you sit down and talk to them. And even then their not going to go into detail. Im sure they were trying some new stuff, and playing some players in different positions. And then theres the film trading thing. Their not going to show anything for the cameras. Those tapes will be all over the place.

So rite u r. With that said and Tpees statement about the long ride down there in them little ole yellow buses, does'nt sound like ur typical scrimmage.

I think that the coaches do this to get a little fire under the boys tails make them work because DB ran none of theyre screens and the running game was mainly a pitch or an iso so i think your right they dont want to show anything on film and the D gave up one big run that looked like they had never seen and after that they shut down the run for the most part and the other two touchdowns came in the secondary who is young but they have definatly improved since the passing drills. it should be an exciting season to watch

I think that the coaches do this to get a little fire under the boys tails make them work because DB ran none of theyre screens and the running game was mainly a pitch or an iso so i think your right they dont want to show anything on film and the D gave up one big run that looked like they had never seen and after that they shut down the run for the most part and the other two touchdowns came in the secondary who is young but they have definatly improved since the passing drills. it should be an exciting season to watch

[/quote

I agree. I know 1 coach that said in a scrimmage, they set wrong defensive sceem to see if the linebackers can spot the misalignment and correct it on their own. A lot of people get all torn up over scrimmages....its only natural.. we're ready for some Friday night lights baby!! The Indians will be just fine, and in the playoffs this year whether we win any scrimmages or not. I would like to see them hit King Maryville ( I give props where they're due, cause to take a quote from one of the greatest''TO BE THE MAN, YOU GOTTA BEAT THE MAN'') with everything they have to see how they do measure up.....but I know thats not gonna happen. Anyway football season is just around the corner at J Fred. Cant wait! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I attended the scrimmage yesterday evening, and I will provide a brief report.

First, the format of the scrimmage was 10 plays for each offense. After 10 plays the other team got the ball.

Central scored on their first possession with a 40-50 yard run on a delay handoff. Nice run by the back.

DB moved the ball to the central 5 on their first possession, but turned it over on downs. Crawford hit Sylvester at about the 5 for a pass that would have been a TD, but the pass was droped.

DB scored on their next possession w/ CS taking the ball in from about 40 yards out. Very nice run and he broke a couple of arms tackles along the way. CS was punishing throughout the evening.

Roop picked off a poorly thrown ball during one series. Due to the format, central retained possesion and scored on a short pass - long run on the very next play. QB probably threw the ball to the LOS, and the WR ran about 60-70 yards untouched.

Central scored on another long pass when the DB defensive back mistimed his jump. He should have either intercepted or deflected it, but the central WR caught it an ran in from about hte 15 yard line.

Central starters were up 3-1. Game was closer than the scored showed, IMO.

DB has several fumbles w/ the first team O. CS had two, crawford one and lawson one.

DB looked OK on O, but not great.

DB was dominating at times on D, but gave up several big plays.

Central has a nice team with some size and speed. It will be interesting to see what they do this year. Best of luck to the bobcats!

You might be the only Coacht'er that has actually read all of my 4,000 + post. I might have to work up some kind of reward for you.

You might try googleing "websites for oddballs" ...........If your a graduate of DB and consider yourself a Rebel fan then your definatly a "oddball". Im not sure if being careful is going to help you a whole lot.

Do you ever have any meaningful insights on actual high school football? Can you go back through your post history and let us know? Thanks.

I wouldn't pat myself on the back too hard Comp. I don’t think you could get a Bobcat to put money on them vying for the conference this year. Where did you get that notion? Who has Stacy lined up for the next scrimmage...Happy Valley? /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

I actually do think the Rebels have lined up Happy Valley. Is that true and, if so, why??????

First, the format of the scrimmage was 10 plays for each offense. After 10 plays the other team got the ball.

Central scored on their first possession with a 40-50 yard run on a delay handoff. Nice run by the back.

DB moved the ball to the central 5 on their first possession, but turned it over on downs. Crawford hit Sylvester at about the 5 for a pass that would have been a TD, but the pass was droped.

DB scored on their next possession w/ CS taking the ball in from about 40 yards out. Very nice run and he broke a couple of arms tackles along the way. CS was punishing throughout the evening.

Roop picked off a poorly thrown ball during one series. Due to the format, central retained possesion and scored on a short pass - long run on the very next play. QB probably threw the ball to the LOS, and the WR ran about 60-70 yards untouched.

Central scored on another long pass when the DB defensive back mistimed his jump. He should have either intercepted or deflected it, but the central WR caught it an ran in from about hte 15 yard line.

DB has several fumbles w/ the first team O. CS had two, crawford one and lawson one.

Central has a nice team with some size and speed. It will be interesting to see what they do this year. Best of luck to the bobcats!

I tried to post on Sat night relative to the Halls scrimmage but was not successful due to internet traffic on Coach T. One of my thoughts was that Halls Wing T type O was tailor made to be disrupted by the Watson blitz package. I was encouraged to see that D-B's D looked good against Knox Central. What type of offense did KC run? Also, I was glad to see the D-B QB under center most of the time against Halls. Was this also the case against KC?

CS is a nice back but the scoring run you speak of was against a majority of 2nd team players. The DB O wasnt effective against Centrals 1st team D