Class 5A: Region 7 Favorites

CoachT

Who is the region favorite in 2008?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the region favorite in 2008?

One of the city jamborees was tonight and two 7-5A teams participated. Craigmont played Oakhaven and Cordova played Hamilton. Craigmont won 12-0 and Cordova won 7-6. Oakhaven made alot of mistakes and just did not seem to have the athletes to compete. This one was pretty one-sided. The Cordova/Hamilton contest was quite different. Cordova has a good no-huddle offense and some decent skill players, but their o-line looked pretty slow and Hamilton was able to blow some plays up. Cordova's QB did throw some really good balls that the receivers failed to make plays on. Cordova looked ok on the d-line and at LB, but their secondary looked very weak. Hamilton hit them for a few plays, and if not for Cordova blocking the extra point attempt, this one would have been a tie. But if Cordova faces a team with a weak secondary and can keep the pressure off their QB, they may put up some points. But it looks like they are pretty vulnerable against the pass on defense.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did not think the 7-5A teams looked good against the 8-5A teams last night. Collierville and Houston were both very impressive. Millington looked better than Bolton, Bartlett and Arlington, but not by much. After last night I think the WHOLE region is up for grabs. Central, Cordova, Overton and Craigmont may all have a shot at the top.

Did not think the 7-5A teams looked good against the 8-5A teams last night. Collierville and Houston were both very impressive. Millington looked better than Bolton, Bartlett and Arlington, but not by much. After last night I think the WHOLE region is up for grabs. Central, Cordova, Overton and Craigmont may all have a shot at the top.

Be careful on how quick you formulate an opinion based on a jamboree performance. That can get you in all kinds of trouble.

Be careful on how quick you formulate an opinion based on a jamboree performance. That can get you in all kinds of trouble.

I did say that Millington would win the region however after watching everybody last night I dont necessarily think they are a shoo-in for it. Everybody is quick to hand them the crown so far but the game is still played between the lines. They may still take it but I just think the region is going to be more wide open this year. I guess I can also say the weather was bad but Collierville didnt have a problem with it.

Arlington is going to struggle this season. It's a rebuilding year, if you can call it that. They lost 19 starters from last season's playoff team. This season there are only 8 seniors on the roster and most likely only 3 of them will get significant minutes. The 3 returning starters are on defense meaning the Tigers will field 11 new starters on the offensive side of the ball.

Arlington is going to struggle this season. It's a rebuilding year, if you can call it that. They lost 19 starters from last season's playoff team. This season there are only 8 seniors on the roster and most likely only 3 of them will get significant minutes. The 3 returning starters are on defense meaning the Tigers will field 11 new starters on the offensive side of the ball.

You guys have a good coaching staff yall will find a way to make them play hard and be competitive in games. They may have to take some lumps this year but it will benefit them in the long run. Good luck to all in 7-5A. I hope the 5A champ comes from region 7-5A.

Millington i was told handled Houston pretty easily if im not mistaken???

Collierville is going to be good i think but they had an easy game at the jamboree... (i feel like)

Millington wont have many problems i dont think. Did you happen to see bigg #44 for Mill ... He will be a problem for alot of teams. Gtown would have most likely been down by 2 td's if it werent for the rain. My opinion..

Millington i was told handled Houston pretty easily if im not mistaken???

Collierville is going to be good i think but they had an easy game at the jamboree... (i feel like)

Millington wont have many problems i dont think. Did you happen to see bigg #44 for Mill ... He will be a problem for alot of teams. Gtown would have most likely been down by 2 td's if it werent for the rain. My opinion..

Millington did handle Houston pretty easily in a scrimmage this fall. Houston wasn't able to move the ball at all. Collierville is a very good football team that will compete for the #2 spot in 8-5a. They could be Millington's biggest test in the regular season. The rain affected both Millington and Germantown in the Jamboree. I am not sure we would have been up 2 td's or not. But, I am confident that If we played 4 quarters that we would have won handily.

The players that scored the TD's for Craigmont in the Jamboree were Ricky Herron and Marcus Reed. I believe Marcus Reed's TD was on Channel 3 that night, showing him running over a defender into the end zone.

I wasn't able to make it to the Friday night jamboree, so I can't really say anything about any of the teams involved. I can just go by what I have heard from other coaches. From what I have been hearing, it sounds like a majority of the teams in the region (minus Overton) have a chance at making a playoff push. I hope the region is that competitive. It will make for a very exciting season.

I did say that Millington would win the region however after watching everybody last night I dont necessarily think they are a shoo-in for it. Everybody is quick to hand them the crown so far but the game is still played between the lines. They may still take it but I just think the region is going to be more wide open this year. I guess I can also say the weather was bad but Collierville didnt have a problem with it.

The driving rain from the first two quarters had pretty much stopped by the 3rd and 4th qtrs. it was sloppy for all involved and you could not get a feel for any team. As for Collierville they do what they do every year in the jamboree, Trap, Belly, Sweep, midline, dive pass and then do it again. They did look most organized but they look that way every year. I agree with the comments about Arlington struggling this year and i do not see any of the county teams being a dominate force in 5A. I guess we will have to wait and see what the the City 5A teams have or if you read the article on the home page of CoachT about 5A teams then you will see the "Tennessean" has crown Whitehaven 5A State Champs for 2008.

Good luck to everyone friday.