Alcoa and Maryville 2008

fairplay2121

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if depth will be as big of in issue in this year's contest as it has in the years past. Alcoa is very deep this year at almost every position.

This game SHOULD be a war, at least I'd like to think that, but as I've learned in the years past that it is not a safe bet to go against George Quarles.

As I look across the board I believe that Alcoa and Maryville are pretty even at each position:

QB- Maryville seems to still be figuring out their QB situation, and from the looks of the Halls game it's still a big ? (2 INT's). Alcoa's Chase James is a senior and has been waiting his turn behind Randall Cobb and it was good to see 4 TD's to one INT for him against Spring Hill. However, as we all know Maryville is no Spring Hill, and making his second start ever against the Rebels at The Skeeter will prove to be a huge challenege for him.

Advantage: EVEN

RB- Maryville has experience in Thomas Shuler, and power in Tank Baker Jr.....err...I mean Buddy Jones. These two should give Maryville a very soild backfield for the '08 season. Alcoa is in a very sililar situation, the experience is there in Jaron Toney, and the power of 5'10, 235 So. FB Taharin Tyson is just unbelievable, add in other talented backs like Darryl Warren and Cameron Foster and Alcoa should figure to have one of the most loaded backfields in all of 2A.

Advantage: ALCOA

WR- The Rebels have a great talent in Chris Jordan, IMO one of the best playmakers in East Tennessee, they have a good, tall homerun threat in Mason Trenda, and another soild receiver, Kody Harris. The last two mentioned however, are still unproven. Once again Alcoa is in a similar situation. Sam Thompson, who recently received an offer from Army, is another great playmaker, as well as a homerun threat. We have a couple of talented, yet unproven WR's as well in Steven Isom and Brother Walker. However; Alcoa has the luxury of throwing to 6'3, 260 lb. man child Tyler Robinson at TE.

OL- The Rebels return experience on the line (Englehardt, Beets, and Stinnett), the Tornadoes return experience on the line (Hickman, Miles, and Marsh). However; Coach Ellis is the best OL coach in the state of Tennessee, and his line will be great, just like every other year.

Advantage: MARYVILLE

DL- Maryville has one of the best ends on the side of the state in Justin Smith, who's receiving interest from numerous colleges, but besides him the D-line is kind of iffy, as they break in 3 new starters, Heath, McCoy, and Sullivan at the end opposite of Smith. Alcoa may have the best junior DE in the whole state in Robinson, and Hickman brings 3 years of starting experience to the line at DT. Adrian Womac saw a considerably significant of PT at DE last year, and IMO is the most improved defensive player on the team, junior Darwin Kerr started a handful of games at DT last season.

LB- This is more than likely Maryville's strongest defensive unit. Although they are a bit undersized Cody McCoy, Jeffery Booker, and Luke Cox all return after starting last year, and boy are they fast, (heard McCoy ran a 4.4), combine that speed with the experience, the Rebels should have a great LB corp. Alcoa is a lot like Maryville at this position. They are undersized but have a good deal of speed. Dee Herbert is the lone returnee, however, Nathaniel Robinson and Daniel Cline saw plenty of action last year and should both have solid years. I have to give Maryville the advantage, due to more speed at the position and more experience.

DB- Both teams have athletic secondaries and having Chris Jordan and Sam Thompson doesn't hurt either. The Toney's and James give Alcoa a very talented secondary, and they showed that picking off 2 passes and breaking up numerous others against Spring Hill. For Maryville, I expect the same out of them. We all know what Jordan and Brazan can do, and I think Kody Harris will be a great DB before his time is done, Lairamore is very soild too.

Special Teams- Both teams are blessed with great kickers with Brodus and Sharp. Brodus has a powerful leg, and put it in the endzone every time last night. However, I hear Sharp is considered one of the best kickers in the nation for 2011. Both have the potential to sign D-1 schollys by the time they graduate. As for punter, I'm guessing Mark Young is handling the duty for the Rebels this year judging from what I saw at the jamboree, and he was impressive. Sam Thompson, may be one of the best punters in the state though.

Coaching- Simply put, the best two coaches in the state will be on display in Maryville next Friday night. Both are offensive masterminds, and both have the best teams in the state year in year out. Both also have arguably the two best coaching staffs state wide as well. However, head to head, Quarles vs. Rankin, Quarles is 2-0. Rankin has 6 gold rings, Quarles has 7.

I know everyone says this is Alcoa's year to knock the Rebels off, and most everyone outside of Blount Co. thinks that the Rebels won't make it to 62 in a row. As I stated earlier though, I've learned to never bet against a George Quarles football team. There should be plenty of razzle dazzle, and plenty of excitement on display for next Friday night. As far as a prediction, I believe I'm going to hold off on that this year, hopefully my Tornadoes surprise me

Great analysis Tom. I for one cannot wait for the Maryville game. I am not willing to predict a score because it is hard to bet against the Maryville rebels, but I hope Alcoa pulls it off. Alcoa looked deeper this year, but Spring Hill pales in comparison to Maryville. Alcoa was able to do whatever they wanted where Maryville had a little tougher game against halls. This should be a good one, I know I'll be there very early so I can get a place to stand.

Tom142: You forgot one category: trickery. GQ gets the heads up on that dept. As I said in another thread (THe Streak will end with Alcoa), GQ is the master at knowing when to use a trick play to take the sails out of the opposing team.

I'd love to see AHS beat Murvul. I think the boys are ready; there was an awfully big crowd at the game last night. But, that's not going to compare to the crowd this Friday. Hopefully they won't do their impression of a deer in headlights!

I see Alcoa as the only team with any chance at all to beat Maryville for the rest of the regular season. I know Alcoa would love to end Maryville's streak but I just don't see it happening. The same depth, conditioning, etc. that took its toll on Halls in the second half will wear out Alcoa as well.

After Alcoa, the rest of the regular season will be smooth sailing for the Rebels. GQ and company will use the rest of the season to get their team ready for their annual run to the Boro. By the end of the season, I think Maryville will be just as dominant as ever.

ITs gonna take alot for maryville to wear and tear on alcoa this year , we are just way too deep

STARS-

Hope it doesn't come down to a field goal or an (gulp) extra point.... /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

(Insert johnandjimmy comment here)

Is Tommy's boyz or Danny's boyz workin the game?

And which group is your ole buddy MS in? /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" />

/dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=" Im assuming you know Brodus will be attending a soccer tournament in Atlanta that weekend.........i gave him a lil trouble for that one

RB- Maryville has experience in Thomas Shuler, and power in Tank Baker Jr.....err...I mean Buddy Jones. These two should give Maryville a very soild backfield for the '08 season. Alcoa is in a very sililar situation, the experience is there in Jaron Toney, and the power of 5'10, 235 So. FB Taharin Tyson is just unbelievable, add in other talented backs like Darryl Warren and Cameron Foster and Alcoa should figure to have one of the most loaded backfields in all of 2A.

However; Alcoa has the luxury of throwing to 6'3, 260 lb. man child Tyler Robinson at TE.

manchild..... /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

and loaded backfield in 2a? How about in the state? look at this

The Alcoa Six Pack: Jaron Toney , Jalik Toney, Darryl Warren, Tahrin Tyson , Dee Herbert , and Cameron Foster

all in the backfield? noone in the state matches that at speed or strength

Im assuming you know Brodus will be attending a soccer tournament in Atlanta that weekend.........i gave him a lil trouble for that one

Oh crap..................don't tell me Brodus will not be kicking Friday night against Maryville! /ohmy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" />