The Streak will end with Alcoa

UCSportsFan

There are those among us who have been very anxious about offensive production for the Rebels. We want to find a QB and settle in to the second coming of Brent Burnette. I know I'd like that. But that isn't where we are. Not yet anyway.

Two things won #62 for us: defense and special teams.

Jimmy Gaylor was typically modest last night when I talked with him. Two weeks and two ferocious opening drives for TD's. Halls and Alcoa both seemed like they could name the score on us. The grand total of scoring after those two opening drives? Six points. Coach Gaylor credits the kids (and I would give Justin Smith one of my two game balls last night), but I'll also ratchet up my respect for that man's ability to read and adapt. We held Aloca to two scores. Almost nobody saw that coming!

If I'm not mistaken, the closest two games in the last two years (WB and this one) have been decided by a story line that few mention. Maryville hit their PAT's and put two field goals on the board. William Blount missed two point afters (including the infamous "wide right" at the end. It was a one point game.

Last night the difference was two field goals for Maryville and a botched PAT attempt by Alcoa that Quarles said enabled them to be more patient,less risk taking in play calling than if Alcoa had gone ahead at that point. Perhaps biggest of all (we'll never know), four of five kick offs in the end zone kept Alcoa's amazing athletes from making plays in the open field. In my opinion, kick cover was our weakness last season. I'm glad we didn't really have to get tested last night.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can obtain a copy of the game by contact Debbie West at Alcoa City Schools. The # is 865 984 7998. You can buy DVD for $10, or if you are stuck in 1982, VHS for $5.

About the game, For Alcoa to make the mistakes that they made and still have a chance to score for a tie is nothing short of amazing. A lot of kids played and got their first "big game experience" and man o man, will it pay dividends down the road.

Maryville is the best team in the state, period. (especially after Ravenwood Jobbed BA last night /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> )

Kudos to the officiating crew as well. I thought they stayed out of the way just enough for all of us to enjoy the game.

I would have posted last night, but honest to GOD, I couldn't even eat my post game dinner I was so worn out.

For those that know me, that is hard to believe.

Man, I feel sorry for White House.

Great post. Maryville has a great program and so does Alcoa. I honestly didn't realize how young Alcoa is. Rebelron had said the two following years will be Alcoa's best chance and I agree with him after seeing it in person. Coach Rankin did the best thing possible like night in my opinion and kept us in the game when quite honestly we made a few too many mistakes. He has brought us such a steady, classy way that we used to not have even when we beat the Rebels. The kids absolutely WILL NOT fold and that is a credit to Gary IMHO. I think things look very bright the next 3-years. The line has a bunch to build on and is very, very young. Yes, I feel sorry for White House as well. Congrats to Maryville and Coach Quarles and staff are nothing but class.

Great post. Maryville has a great program and so does Alcoa. I honestly didn't realize how young Alcoa is. Rebelron had said the two following years will be Alcoa's best chance and I agree with him after seeing it in person. Coach Rankin did the best thing possible like night in my opinion and kept us in the game when quite honestly we made a few too many mistakes. He has brought us such a steady, classy way that we used to not have even when we beat the Rebels. The kids absolutely WILL NOT fold and that is a credit to Gary IMHO. I think things look very bright the next 3-years. The line has a bunch to build on and is very, very young. Yes, I feel sorry for White House as well. Congrats to Maryville and Coach Quarles and staff are nothing but class.

This was a great game, both teams played their hearts out...what i was most impressed with was that after the game the Alcoa and Maryville players found each other and hugged, telling each other good game. I hope no one ever questions the class of either of these teams...Congrats to Maryville on a great win and i hope to see both teams in the boro this winter! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

You can obtain a copy of the game by contact Debbie West at Alcoa City Schools. The # is 865 984 7998. You can buy DVD for $10, or if you are stuck in 1982, VHS for $5.

About the game, For Alcoa to make the mistakes that they made and still have a chance to score for a tie is nothing short of amazing. A lot of kids played and got their first "big game experience" and man o man, will it pay dividends down the road.

Maryville is the best team in the state, period. (especially after Ravenwood Jobbed BA last night /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> )

Kudos to the officiating crew as well. I thought they stayed out of the way just enough for all of us to enjoy the game.

I would have posted last night, but honest to GOD, I couldn't even eat my post game dinner I was so worn out.

For those that know me, that is hard to believe.

Man, I feel sorry for White House.

I agree I could not eat either. I agree the officiating was not a part of the game. For the most part they let the players settle it on the field. I agree White House is in BIG TROUBLE! Both teams played hard, both teams had mistakes. For such a High pressure big game early was a exciting game all the to the end. Both teams will have a great season.

Does a pass have to be catchable for pass interference to be called? As a fan of neither team in particular, It was a honor to be able to attend my 1st, but not last Maryville vs Alcoa game last night. The atmosphere was electric!!!! I did think however, the call of the game was when Maryville was driving and I believe it was 3rd down and the MHS QB overthrew his WR, however pass interference was called on Alcoa? I thought that ball would not been able to have been caught by Gheorghe Mursean, much less a 6'1 wideout....that penalty was a huge, which ultimatly allow the REbels to continue their series and score the go ahead TD....BTW, excellent play call on the last TD by GQ. Also, I didn't realize that on a missed FG, the ball is automatically taken back to the 20 yd line. With that rule in play, if I was a coach that had a weak punter, or a dangerous punt return guy, I would attempt a FG on every 4th down inside their own 50. Am I not clearly understanding the rule? Help me out folks

Does a pass have to be catchable for pass interference to be called? As a fan of neither team in particular, It was a honor to be able to attend my 1st, but not last Maryville vs Alcoa game last night. The atmosphere was electric!!!! I did think however, the call of the game was when Maryville was driving and I believe it was 3rd down and the MHS QB overthrew his WR, however pass interference was called on Alcoa? I thought that ball would not been able to have been caught by Gheorghe Mursean, much less a 6'1 wideout....that penalty was a huge, which ultimatly allow the REbels to continue their series and score the go ahead TD....BTW, excellent play call on the last TD by GQ. Also, I didn't realize that on a missed FG, the ball is automatically taken back to the 20 yd line. With that rule in play, if I was a coach that had a weak punter, or a dangerous punt return guy, I would attempt a FG on every 4th down inside their own 50. Am I not clearly understanding the rule? Help me out folks

Everyone around me was confused about the 20-yard deal as well.

What I said, and stand by is the weakness of 2A in East TN. Never said Alcoa was weak, you won't ever find that said by me. Alcoa is the toughest and best 2A program in the state since 2000, barr none. Alcoa is better than many 4A & 5A teams. In 2001 in the semis a better Alcoa team lost to Goodpasture by 4. I watched that game on film the next day because I was watching MHS defeat Morr West that night. Alcoa in my opinion was the better team, they had some studs on that team. That game was the last time Alcoa had a close game that I can recall. The 03 SC game vs. Huntington was a nine point game and it was the last time Alcoa had a 2A contest where the win was less that double digits. Watch that game Alcoa was at least 14 points better but kept HHS in the game with mistakes. Who in 2A in East TN can stand up to Alcoa? Nobody, not even close! West TN has a few better teams and I think is better than ETN top to bottom.

Lastly it is not Alcoa's fault that they are head and heels better than the rest. It is the other schools who need to close the gap. Alcoa needs to keep getting better, that is the way the game is. Alcoa is blessed with a huge tax base where they can go out and get top quality coaches like Rankin and have kids transfer in, Like MHS has. 2A is weak in the respect that no one can play Alcoa close or take them into the 3rd qtr in 2A where they have a chance to win. Sweetwater was once a power in the 90's but now just a speed bump for Alcoa. Most of the time when Alcoa steps outside of 2A they get beat. Playing weak teams never helps and right now and the past several years 2A is weak and Alcoa has been very strong. With Rankin at the helm I respect the Alcoa Football program.

On this game, is it true Alcoa has 5 starters playing both ways to include QB James?

Good luck tonight and welcome to my fan club.

For those of you who were completely astonished by part of this post re: Alcoa playing outside of 2A , here are the facts. Since 2000 , the Tornadoes have played up 35 times and have a record of 23 wins and 12 losses(8 of those are to MHS) So......when Alcoa steps out of 2A they rarely get beat unless they are playing Maryville. /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" />

Eye hurd Coach Rankin on tha raydio this mornin' and he talked about Chase havin' to play both ways as a factor....Alsew saw T. Robinson, Hickman, Toney, and Thompson playin' a lot both ways....

Again what a grait gaim and a showcase fer what Blunt Countee high skool footbawl iz all about....This is a good kleen rivalry and thair iz lots of respect between both teems.....Eye hope me and mommaSTARS will be in tha 'Boro on tha furst Friday nite in Deecimbur watchin' tha Tornadas and Rebs on Saturdee gettin' Gold again..... /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

For those of you who were completely astonished by part of this post re: Alcoa playing outside of 2A , here are the facts. Since 2000 , the Tornadoes have played up 35 times and have a record of 23 wins and 12 losses(8 of those are to MHS) So......when Alcoa steps out of 2A they rarely get beat unless they are playing Maryville. /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" />

Coalman, not to take anything away from Alcoa.....they are always a top 5 school of ALL schools in TN in my book year after year. Alcoa is a phenomenal team and it is amazing where they get that kind of talent they put out.... Those 35 games, however, you have alluded to are against powerhouses outside of AA like Heritage, WB, Doyle, West, Spring Hill, Brainard......schools who are lucky to have a .500 season.....most are lucky year end and year out to win 2 games. The teams in the hunt that are impressive are Maryville, McCallie and Fulton.....maybe Whitehouse on a given year. You haven't played Fulton, Spring Hill, McCallie and Whitehouse much, but the wins are mainly against Heritage, WB, Doyle and West.....not exactly the giants of TN High School Football. I would, however, put my bet on Alcoa on any given year against ANY team in the state with the exception of Maryville. Maryville is too consistent beating Alcoa. I believe Alcoa can play with any DI or DII school in the state. With Maryville, it is kind of like Alcoa is accustomed to getting beat, and Maryville has the mental edge. Almost like Charlie Brown and Lucy......no matter how hard Charlie Brown tries to kick the ball, Lucy pulls it out from under him......you younger folks may not have a clue to what I am talking about, but the older generation does!