MBA vs. Cincinnati Moeller

TheBigRedDog

To clarify, MBA ran the table that year (1999), going 12-0. That was the best MBA team I have ever seen.

It was in 2000 that MBA lost once - to Bolles 26-3 in the driving rain in Jacksonville - but later had that loss turn into a forfeit win due to use of an ineligible player by Bolles.

I might be wrong, but I thought last year was the only undefeated team. I may have been thinking of being the first team to win 13 games.

I know that 1999 team was good no doubt. There are 3 teams that I think are the best MBA teams I have ever seen: 1999, 2003, and 2007.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I might be wrong, but I thought last year was the only undefeated team. I may have been thinking of being the first team to win 13 games.

I know that 1999 team was good no doubt. There are 3 teams that I think are the best MBA teams I have ever seen: 1999, 2003, and 2007.

It's probably 13 games you were thinking of...you can see all of MBA's all-time scores here:

MBA Scores 1899-Present

The best board to find talk on is Yappi.com. They pretty much cover the whole state of Ohio with Southwest Ohio, CIncinnati and Dayton having the most posters. I am calling this game a tossup and I looking foward to a good hard hitting game. If any of you get a chance, you need to check out all of the games just to see how good Ohio Football really is. Every Ohio team participating plays in the same division for the same state championship.

The best board in Ohio by far is jjhuddle.com. Much more comprehensive and in depth, with plenty of video highlights of top juniors and seniors, big game highlights and articles. Much better coverage of the whole state by the staff. Plus there is very little smack talk, mostly very knowledgeable people on there. There a lot of threads on Yappi(especially Cincinnati h.s.) that get off the subject and turn into peessing matches. As far as every team in the Herbie playing in the same division, most are in div. 1(big schools, Div. 6 is the smallest). Youngstown Mooney is a div. 4 powerhouse that was runnerup in state last year. Last year regular season (10-0) beat the D1 runnerup, Pa.'s big school runnerup (Gateway), a total of 3 D1 schools, 3- D2 schools, 2-D3 schools, 1-D4 school, and the D5 state runnerup. They lost a TON to graduation(7 or 8 to major Div.1 colleges), but are still a solid team. I look for them to loose 2-4 games this year as their schedule is very tough again.

Moved to Tn. a few years ago after spending 40 years in Ohio, so I still follow Ohio football religiously year round, as most people in the state do. Moeller has been an up and down team over the past 4 or 5 years. In '04 they went 10-3 losing in the regional final(3rd round). In '05, 6-5 w/1st round playoff loss. In '06 they went 5-6 w/1st round playoff loss. In '07 they went 8-3 w/1st round playoff loss. Division 1 playoffs in Ohio are considered by many "experts" as the toughest, most competitive playoffs in the country based on how they are set up, and who gets in(you not only have to win reg. season games, you have to PLAY SOMEBODY. A weak schedule can find you not even making the playoffs even at 10-0 or 9-1). That being said, Moeller has played well in the Herbie, losing late to a stacked Mission Viejo,Cali. team last year by 4 points(later forfeited by M.V. for ineligible player), and in '06 (finished 5-6), they played Byrnes, S.C. Byrnes came into the game ranked #2 nationally, with Clemson quarterback Willie Korn, and Byrnes "escaped" with a 1 point win as Moeller missed a potential game winning 40 yd. field goal wide right by 1 foot with under a minute left in the game. I know that every year is different, but that was the same Byrnes that beat MBA the year before 62-14. Their record the last few years isn't that impressive, but it's a testament to just how brutal D1 football is in Ohio, especially in the Cincinnati area. You won't find no 60 game winning streaks here, because to be considered the best(and make the playoffs), you have to play the best year in year out . Not meant to be a slap at anyone, but that's the way it should be. Moeller is breaking in a new coach this year and still finding out who fits where. They have some talent, but are in a transition, so this is a tough game to gage. My gut tells me this will be a very even game that could go either way. The only edge I would give to either team would be Moeller's depth, as kids generally don't play both ways, and heat, humidity will eventually take it's toll on both sides no matter how many fluids they get in them. Good luck to both teams, and lets have a good clean "slobberknocker" as we call'em up north. Link to Moeller vs. Byrnes mixed with Findlay, Oh. vs. Texarkana Tx. http://video.yahoo.com/watch/313447/2102604

The best board in Ohio by far is jjhuddle.com. Much more comprehensive and in depth, with plenty of video highlights of top juniors and seniors, big game highlights and articles. Much better coverage of the whole state by the staff. Plus there is very little smack talk, mostly very knowledgeable people on there. There a lot of threads on Yappi(especially Cincinnati h.s.) that get off the subject and turn into peessing matches. As far as every team in the Herbie playing in the same division, most are in div. 1(big schools, Div. 6 is the smallest). Youngstown Mooney is a div. 4 powerhouse that was runnerup in state last year. Last year regular season (10-0) beat the D1 runnerup, Pa.'s big school runnerup (Gateway), a total of 3 D1 schools, 3- D2 schools, 2-D3 schools, 1-D4 school, and the D5 state runnerup. They lost a TON to graduation(7 or 8 to major Div.1 colleges), but are still a solid team. I look for them to loose 2-4 games this year as their schedule is very tough again.

Mooney does have a tough schedule. They lost their first game to Mentor 34-20. They should be able to handle Covington Catholic this weekend. How is Warren Harding looking this year? Will that be a tough game for Mooney?

Coach McGuigan went up there on Sat night and watched their game with Princeton High School, a big public school. Moeller ended up winning but Coach said it wasn't easy. Coach said they look a lot like us. They are big up front and they can move. We have a 1 day advantage having played Friday night and playing this week on Sunday. I will promise you this much, the MBA team will be prepared, and they will play hard. It has been a long time since I played football, but I sure don't remember my coaches being as organized and working out all the details the way Daniels staff does. God only knows (and his wife I guess) how much film Daniel watches. I am also impressed because Daniel is really smart...I mean really smart. Maybe that is pretty much how it is done now, but I kinda doubt. I'd bet a lot of coaches still fly by the seat of their pants

You are right on the money...I am confident of only one thing, and that's that we will represent ourselves and TN well no matter what the outcome of the game. We will not (IMO) see a repeat of the Byrnes game from '05 under Coach McGugin.

As I wrote earlier, I know lots of Moeller grads (as well as St. X and Elder). They are some impressive folks. All of those schools are impressive places. Moeller is (#'s wise) similar to Louisville Trinity. They have around 1,000 boys, 9-12. MBA has something like 650, 7-12. I assume there are still around 60-70 in each of 7th/8th grade, meaning we are at roughly a 2/1 disadvantage in the high school. Also, as you mentioned their tuition is about half that of ours. That goes for St. X as well. This is important, imo, because whereas in TN a family on the fence about whether or not to apply for private school would weigh the big tuition bill against some of the excellent school systems in Williamson, Rutherford, Sumner counties, in the Cincinatti area, a family will probably be more likely to take the plunge with one of the privates. My impression is that the big private schools draw in a lot more students in that area than do the big Nashville area privates.

This is a great challenge and I'm proud of our coaches and players for accepting it. This game has no impact on our ability to win the D2 championship so it's just a fun event for everyone involved.

Some things to consider about this one... I think it will be a great game, having two very prestigious programs that play hard-nosed football. However, MBA, even last season with their "undefeated state championship team" did not have to travel that much, especially into an environment like the one they face Sunday. I have no doubt that coach McGugin will have his boys prepared and ready to go, but you cant simulate playing in front of 20000 plus AND on television. In addition, Tyler Franks isn't even playing in the game, and Rueben Thomas is questionable, which hurts the Big Red's already thin depth. Even though the odds are stacked against them, the boys on the hill somehow always find a way to persevere in times of adversity. I think Bubis and Johnson (team captains) will have their teammates ready for a brawl (which is right up Bubis' alley) Go Big Red!

Go get'em MBA!

Don't be scared of their mystic, back in the 80's Johnson High School from right across the state line down here, in Alabama, in Huntsville went up there and played them at their place and all that was said was how Moeller would blow them out, and Johnson went up there and beat them like a rented mule!! Way too much speed. You have a good solid program, make Tennessee proud! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Although I am biased to MBA, being on the team, i think we will win because of how much stress the coaches and school is putting on this game. Moellar seems to be real cocky and I think their about to find out what MBA football is about.

I imagine that Coach McGuigan wouldn't be too thrilled to know that you are posting on these boards. I'm sure the English department wouldn't find your post acceptable either. Let your play on the field do the talking. Good luck against Moeller.