Can blackman make history?

hitstick

Strong line play is won in the WEIGHT room and not on football boards reguardless of any type of weather!

This is why R'dale wins! Been that way for as long as I have been following them.

With this strong line play comes what ever kind of offense you want to either pass or run with.

Weights are meant to be used HARD, they are not just something to look at and move around the weight room and not just by linemen.

One of the hardest workers in the weight room I have ever seen is little Gaston Miller. While small in height, he was a GIANT of a running back!

I agree that weight training is important but I DO NOT think that Riverdale was much if any stronger than Blackman. According to the BHS website, most of the linemen are benching much more than body weight, and have respectful squats and cleans. I've also seen Riverdales line working out at my gym on "dead period" and they are strong but nothing special. Speed was a factor though. Riverdale was obviously a little faster. Lost Old Dad, I would be willing to bet that ANY of these kids would toss you around with ease. LOL I'm not picking a fight---all in good fun. Gaston Miller was in a league of his own though.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, let me say I don't have a kid at either school but I follow region 4 - 5A. To all of you Saturday morning Coaches, instead of always criticizing why don't you go to the Schools you are so frustrated with and volunteer some of your time and experience. Next, to all of the guys downing the kids, they are dealing with the hand they are dealt. I have witnessed some of the play calling at Blackman over the last couple of years and yes a lot of times I am scratching my head but I also know that I don't know what they are trying to do offensively because I am not at practice during the week. I spoke with people who know both Collier and Crocker and they all said the team supports Collier and Crocker is more of a distraction than a help to the team. As adults we have to remember that sports are actually secondary, these teachers are there to develop productive citizens, with good if not great character. Remember one day they will be out of school and if they haven't been taught to be good citizens and to have good character we will see them on T. V. in a different uniform, an Orange Jumpsuit. So, please people keep athletics in perspective. I did play High School and College Football, so no one can throw out that I don't know what I'm talking about. I just know that there is more to this than who can throw and run. With that being said GOOD LUCK TO BLACKMAN AND RIVERDALE the rest of the way.

They say football is a game of life and death. I say no way, "its way more important than that" lighten up francis.

First, let me say I don't have a kid at either school but I follow region 4 - 5A. To all of you Saturday morning Coaches, instead of always criticizing why don't you go to the Schools you are so frustrated with and volunteer some of your time and experience. Next, to all of the guys downing the kids, they are dealing with the hand they are dealt. I have witnessed some of the play calling at Blackman over the last couple of years and yes a lot of times I am scratching my head but I also know that I don't know what they are trying to do offensively because I am not at practice during the week. I spoke with people who know both Collier and Crocker and they all said the team supports Collier and Crocker is more of a distraction than a help to the team. As adults we have to remember that sports are actually secondary, these teachers are there to develop productive citizens, with good if not great character. Remember one day they will be out of school and if they haven't been taught to be good citizens and to have good character we will see them on T. V. in a different uniform, an Orange Jumpsuit. So, please people keep athletics in perspective. I did play High School and College Football, so no one can throw out that I don't know what I'm talking about. I just know that there is more to this than who can throw and run. With that being said GOOD LUCK TO BLACKMAN AND RIVERDALE the rest of the way.

Good post Doc. I have tried to help out at practice. The last time I tried was when Wells was recovering, and the hotshot know-it-all that they had filling in, said if he needed help he would find it.

I think if education is your number one concern (as it should be) then Gail Vick is the principal you want. She is not going to hire a coach to teach, only teachers who will coach. This is obvious if you look at the sidelines.

Oh yeah, I also heard from several players that Crocker was a headache.

Collier can throw the ball. I've seen it at practice. I honestly believe that the reason that Blackman doesn't pass is because the receivers have no idea where to go or what to do, which is not their fault.

Good post Doc. I have tried to help out at practice. The last time I tried was when Wells was recovering, and the hotshot know-it-all that they had filling in, said if he needed help he would find it.

I think if education is your number one concern (as it should be) then Gail Vick is the principal you want. She is not going to hire a coach to teach, only teachers who will coach. This is obvious if you look at the sidelines.

Oh yeah, I also heard from several players that Crocker was a headache.

Collier can throw the ball. I've seen it at practice. I honestly believe that the reason that Blackman doesn't pass is because the receivers have no idea where to go or what to do, which is not their fault.

First of all I agree that more people need to be involved at whatever school their kids attend. You are not the only one who goes to the games and has played college football but I for one have coached football.

The coach has a duty to the players to teach the fundamentals of football blocking and tackling, pitching and catching. The coach??™s second responsibility is to the team and school to win games. In order to do that he needs to put the best people on the field that will give him that chance. If there is a personnel problem then the coach needs to handle that and not necessarily by benching a proven player because of ONE disenchanted player who may have a personal motive and not that of the team. If that is the case then the coach is not building a team and is not able to handle what should be nothing more that a minor problem.

Football if coached properly will teach team play and will build character. A coach can do more harm by surrendering to a player, parent or assistant coaches who have relatives on the team. If the coach cannot make adjustments during the game or actually come up with a game plan he needs to step down. I for one have not seen any adjustments as far as a game plan in the three games. It has been run three times and punt. Remember LaVergne had us in a lot of third and longs,

These are high school players who want to win. They want victory for their team and for their school. The problem is the game plan has not changed from one week to the next. There is talent on the team and they deserve better coaching that what they are getting.

First of all I agree that more people need to be involved at whatever school their kids attend. You are not the only one who goes to the games and has played college football but I for one have coached football.

The coach has a duty to the players to teach the fundamentals of football blocking and tackling, pitching and catching. The coach??™s second responsibility is to the team and school to win games. In order to do that he needs to put the best people on the field that will give him that chance. If there is a personnel problem then the coach needs to handle that and not necessarily by benching a proven player because of ONE disenchanted player who may have a personal motive and not that of the team. If that is the case then the coach is not building a team and is not able to handle what should be nothing more that a minor problem.

Football if coached properly will teach team play and will build character. A coach can do more harm by surrendering to a player, parent or assistant coaches who have relatives on the team. If the coach cannot make adjustments during the game or actually come up with a game plan he needs to step down. I for one have not seen any adjustments as far as a game plan in the three games. It has been run three times and punt. Remember LaVergne had us in a lot of third and longs,

These are high school players who want to win. They want victory for their team and for their school. The problem is the game plan has not changed from one week to the next. There is talent on the team and they deserve better coaching that what they are getting.

Right on, you can not teach what you do not know. I too have been at pratice /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> and Blackman does not have a quarterback that can throw on the run, but the O'Fense their running requires it. Nor do they have receivers that have shown the ability to get open and catch the ball.

Coach "Big John" Merritt could take yours and beat his and take his and beat yours. As a coach your first responsibility is to build your system around your team. NOT your team around your system. This is high school football and unless your Division II and can recruit you have to build around what you have.

Three passes total with one being on your last offensive play of the game while playing the whole second half down by two scores is to me RETARDED! Not going to a four man line and being gashed up the middle constantly for three quarters is RETARDED! Calling a timeout just before the half to run the ball up the middle RETARDED!

Our O'Fense has scored 22 points in three games. We will not beat many teams averaging 7.3 points a game.

Hopefully we will come up against a team that will help us beat them. /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

guys i feel that the coaches are getting a little too much blame on this game while the score was close the game really wasnt while i also agree you should have tried to pass more you never had the ball long enought to get into any type of rythme friday night was RIVERDALES night plain and simple next time we play you we may not be so fortunate but friday was just our night...stop blaming the coaches so much and give a little credit to RIVERDALE and our staff our defense played their best game of the year

guys i feel that the coaches are getting a little too much blame on this game while the score was close the game really wasnt while i also agree you should have tried to pass more you never had the ball long enought to get into any type of rythme friday night was RIVERDALES night plain and simple next time we play you we may not be so fortunate but friday was just our night...stop blaming the coaches so much and give a little credit to RIVERDALE and our staff our defense played their best game of the year

This has nothing to do with Riverdale. They most definitely deserved to win this game and have a great team. What everyone is talking about with the coaches has been happening ever since Coach Wells has been there. It is just so obvious week to week what the problems are at Blackman. Just as obvious as it was last year. I believe complaints are increasing because the talent at Blackman is increasing and expectations are getting higher but alot of people believe that poor coaching is holding them back.

Dajuan Brown has something wrong with one of his legs. He has limped around all year. Hurt it in the 1st game against Lavergne I believe. He is just a big body that can't move right now until his leg heals. He has tried to play every game which is admirable but he just reinjures it every game. He does not need to play anymore until his leg heals up and he can actually help the team.

Mmmm...yeah he kinda tore his ACL last year.

I agree that weight training is important but I DO NOT think that Riverdale was much if any stronger than Blackman. According to the BHS website, most of the linemen are benching much more than body weight, and have respectful squats and cleans. I've also seen Riverdales line working out at my gym on "dead period" and they are strong but nothing special. Speed was a factor though. Riverdale was obviously a little faster. Lost Old Dad, I would be willing to bet that ANY of these kids would toss you around with ease. LOL I'm not picking a fight---all in good fun. Gaston Miller was in a league of his own though.

yall got tossed around on the line the whole night. thats why our backs where runnin over yall all night (with flags coming out like a plauge)

Don't you think that all the armchair coaches are causing some problems too? Kids hear what their parents say about the coach's calls and one of the ways to ruin a team is to make them doubt their coach b/c of remarks made by their parents.

I would agree if I have seen improvement since I have been here. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> I think that is whats bothering most people is that the system does not match the talent. I think the coaches are nice enough but these guys have to realize they were hired to win and they are coaching for their jobs. If it aint broke don't fix it, but if it is...... Their are people around this program that could help but they are told "if we need you opinion we will ask for it".

Fine, but by all means don't go out on Friday night and look like it's the second week of pratice!!!!

IT"S VERY FRUSTRATING!!!! /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

"There is saftey in the multitude of council but lawyer that represents himself has a fool for a client"

Right on, you can not teach what you do not know. I too have been at pratice /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> and Blackman does not have a quarterback that can throw on the run, but the O'Fense their running requires it. Nor do they have receivers that have shown the ability to get open and catch the ball.

Coach "Big John" Merritt could take yours and beat his and take his and beat yours. As a coach your first responsibility is to build your system around your team. NOT your team around your system. This is high school football and unless your Division II and can recruit you have to build around what you have.

Three passes total with one being on your last offensive play of the game while playing the whole second half down by two scores is to me RETARDED! Not going to a four man line and being gashed up the middle constantly for three quarters is RETARDED! Calling a timeout just before the half to run the ball up the middle RETARDED!

Our O'Fense has scored 22 points in three games. We will not beat many teams averaging 7.3 points a game.

Hopefully we will come up against a team that will help us beat them. /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

It's not necessarily about the number of passes in a game vs. the number of runs. It' about either taking what you want to take because, physically you are able to; or it's about taking what the defense gives you. For example, there are times (not every single time) when we give the ball to Bowers with Patton lead blocking and we take what we want because they can physically knock down more than their fair share of defenders and/or just run through tackles. There was a similar scenario in 06 and 07 with Mauricio Wallace and his ability to have the snap go over his head, run back 10 yards, pick it up and run through the defense like I'm sure he did during recess in the 5th grade! Despite the applause on these type plays, they can't make up the majority of positive yardage plays. These type plays must be the exception.

Taking what the defense is giving is mostly about formations, alignment, and schemes. When in the "spread" (I am referring to 4-wides or a TE with 3-wides) then you must make the defense line up AND PLAY honestly. If they don't then you "take what they give you". But, with the addition of a TE, 2 backs in the backfield and no motion, that is not a spread offense ( which is fine with me - I don't really care ) and Blackman has made that adjustment in their offense for the last 2 games. Either way there are cracks in the armour of any defense and the coaches' job is to expoit that. Bobby Wells, no doubt, has the intellect and experience to figure this out more than me.

As for the abilities of the quarterbacks and recievers at Blackman to "throw on the run" and "get open", in my opinion, we should be fine. We are not lining up against LSU here. It's still just high school and I think we have ample talent to do what we need to do to win in this region. It just is going to take some further development.

Good luck BLAZE!