News from Wilson County....

Football Man

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now I have not read all of the comments because of time, but are they stopping coaches supplements only OR are they stopping sports all together. If its only the coaches pay, they probably don't make enough to matter. If the coaches really cared about the players, they would coach for free, just like the youth leagues do.

Just my opinionfrom Knoxville. I sure hope Knoxville doesn't go down this highway.

If the coaches really cared about the players, they would coach for free, just like the youth leagues do.

First of all, coaches are professionals and they deserve to get paid. No one in this profession wants to work for free... this is not volunteer work it is our profession!

High school football is not youth league: These men work twice as many hours as their non-coaching counterparts and for less than minimum wage. The head football coaches put in about 400 to 500 extra hours a year and their assistant coaches put in almost as much time.

The school board may decide to limit the number of coaches per team but I seriously doubt they will do away with their salaries because that would mean every "professional" coach would leave the system or attempt to find work next year doing something other than coaching HS football. It would also mean the end of hs sports in Wilson County for years to come because it would truly become recreational league football or baseball and basketball at some point down the road. The truth is none of this will happen!

The school board and county commission will find a way to patch things together this season and will work with less for one year until a better arrangement can be made. Yes, it will affect some coaches, teachers, and others employed by the school system but NO COUNTY COMMISSIONER OR SCHOOL BOARD MEMBER WILL CUT SPORTS BECAUSE THEY WILL NEVER GET RE-ELECTED IF THEY MAKE THAT VOTE!

First of all, coaches are professionals and they deserve to get paid. No one in this profession wants to work for free... this is not volunteer work it is our profession!

High school football is not youth league: These men work twice as many hours as their non-coaching counterparts and for less than minimum wage. The head football coaches put in about 400 to 500 extra hours a year and their assistant coaches put in almost as much time.

The school board may decide to limit the number of coaches per team but I seriously doubt they will do away with their salaries because that would mean every "professional" coach would leave the system or attempt to find work next year doing something other than coaching HS football. It would also mean the end of hs sports in Wilson County for years to come because it would truly become recreational league football or baseball and basketball at some point down the road. The truth is none of this will happen!

The school board and county commission will find a way to patch things together this season and will work with less for one year until a better arrangement can be made. Yes, it will affect some coaches, teachers, and others employed by the school system but NO COUNTY COMMISSIONER OR SCHOOL BOARD MEMBER WILL CUT SPORTS BECAUSE THEY WILL NEVER GET RE-ELECTED IF THEY MAKE THAT VOTE!

It's very interesting to note that although no teachers will get a raise this year, almost every person in the district office will. This is except for the Director of Schools who is taking a cut.

Why would coaches work for free? This would set a precedence that is bad for everyone. Then I guess we should just find teachers to teach for free too. What a plan.

Why would coaches work for free? This would set a precedence that is bad for everyone. Then I guess we should just find teachers to teach for free too. What a plan.

Very good post! Every county has had teacher shortages... try to find quality teachers and coaches who want to work for free or less money. If they cut the coaching supplements, the coaches who can will move! Who would blame them???

I have no idea what coaches in Wilson County make but I promise you it isn't what they are worth based on the hours they work.

Article on espn.com dated today

Report: High school sports at all-time high

ESPNRise.com

Updated: September 5, 2008, 11:34 AM ET

Comment / Email / Print INDIANAPOLIS -- More high school students than ever before are playing high school sports, according to a group representing the country's state high school athletic associations.

The National Federation of State High School Associations, citing figures from its 50 members and the District of Columbia, said a record 7,429,381 students took part in high school athletics in the 2007-08 school year. That represents 54.8 percent of students enrolled in high schools last year, according to the study.

"This is certainly another great report on the interest of high school sports in our nation's schools," NFHS executive director Robert F. Kanaby. said. "The fact that we experienced all-time records for both girls and boys reflects the fact that the high school sports participation experience is more viable than ever and is of great interest to our nation's young people."

What are the options if WCS closes all athletics?

Can they stay in WCS and play on another counties school team?

Can you get approval for a cooperative program with another

D1 school outside your county?

How about playing for a D2 school within the county as a cooperative

program?

Or do they have to attend another school to play @ that school. There

are many cooperative programs in the state now. How hard would it be

to get approval for a cooperative program?