ALCOA v. Open date

I think you will see all BC schools play each other again real soon. The new AD at Heritage (Fuller) is in favor of it so , I would say it will happen. If Heritage adds Alcoa back to the schedule , WB will soon follow. In my opinion it is a win, win situation for all schools involved. The way it usally turns out Alcoa gets a win over a much bigger school and the two schools split a good gate. Not to mention the fellowship of the kids and the people of the community..... /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Now we're talk'n ! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now we're talk'n ! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I'm on your side with this one. I may be a Mountaineer but I want them to play each other. Its sad, but thats the only time I get to see some of my family. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Its simple, WB-Heritge, have tougher games to worry about on there schedule than Alcoa. It easy for Alcoa to play WB-Heritage and turn around and play oliver springs, rookwood sweatwater than WB-Heritage to turn around and play farragut or oakridge or ooltewah

Yea, your right. It is a lot "tougher" to lose, turn around and lose again, than to win turn around and win again. /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

I can't argue with the overall academic rankings as reported. However, I think that has more to do with the demographics of where the students come from than anything else. A significant percentage of students in the county system come from homes where the parents can't pass a 5th grade TCAP test, and don't really care if their kids can either.

If Alcoa is one of the top ranked systems in the State, why do so many of their top athletes have trouble getting into college?

I can't argue with the overall academic rankings as reported. However, I think that has more to do with the demographics of where the students come from than anything else. A significant percentage of students in the county system come from homes where the parents can't pass a 5th grade TCAP test, and don't really care if their kids can either.

If Alcoa is one of the top ranked systems in the State, why do so many of their top athletes have trouble getting into college?

By so many what do you mean? How many are we talking about? I know of a couple, but they still went to school, just not the one they planned on. They had to work to get grades up and that is not unheard of. I think expenditure per student has some to do with it, as does demographics. Once again, sorry to be off topic.

On topic I hope we either paly WB and Heritage, or we drop them from all sports. No reason to pick and choose.

Yep, there has been some for sure. Dustin Lindsey and Rae Stykes did have to go the prep school route. Lindsey is now a North Georgia U., Stykes still at Coffeeville. Bart Hick also had academic issues that did prevent him from playing at the next level.

On the bright side, there is Brandon Warren FSU/UT, Randall Cobb UK, Lanster UK, Love UT, Shiverdecker C-N. That's just "top athletes" Alcoa has several other players that when to smaller colleges without problems.

I feel Coach Rankin has placed a bigger emphasis on academic requirements than other coaches in the past, and hopefully things will get better for players in the future. /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" />

Dont worry it will happen soon. You never know here in 10 or 15 years Alcoa fans might be debating whether they should be playing a in county 6A team like WB or Heritage. Things change and programs go through cycles. This is good to debate but there is no need to call any of the county kids cowards. If they had their choice I am sure they would love to play Alcoa every year. For some reason a few chose to make the decision for many. Alcoa fans need to also understand that Heritage and WB probably have the top two toughest schedules in the state right now also. Region 2-5A is very physical and unforgiving. It is very tough to play a 5A schedule...most of you are right that Alcoa could step up to 5A and beat many of those teams WB and Heritage play. But the week in and week out beating woud take a huge toll. After you play Maryville you would turn around and go through Farragut, Oak Ridge, Ooltewah and a much improved Soddy-Daisy and McMinn then have some desert with DB if there are not a ton of injuries by then....you get my point. The bottom line is both administrations have their own ideas on how to make their athletic program better and that is what they have chose to do. I know this rivalry will get back together soon. Everybody needs to try to make it work and get involved and start talking to the right people and quit pointing fingers which is just going to drive a wedge between the county and city programs.

By so many what do you mean? How many are we talking about? I know of a couple, but they still went to school, just not the one they planned on. They had to work to get grades up and that is not unheard of. I think expenditure per student has some to do with it, as does demographics. Once again, sorry to be off topic.

On topic I hope we either paly WB and Heritage, or we drop them from all sports. No reason to pick and choose.

Academics has nothing to do with these teams playing each other. I see no reason to even discuss it. Also, the kids have nothing to do with who they play so you can't call them cowards. The people responsible have there reasons, we just have to wait it out and hope for them to start playing again soon. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Dang, you got me on that one Volfan. I'm a real idiot. Oh well, I may make a typo every now and then, but I almost always remember to start sentences with capital letters. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

Easy big guy, for he knows not to whom he speaks!

/popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" /> /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" /> /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

I moved here several years ago because I wanted a great place to raise my kids (5). I loved the people, the academics and the beauty of God's creative hand on this little spot of paradise. I was and am still convinced that any child whether they attend the city or county schools can get an excellent education here in Blount Co. We are truly blessed. I do feel the county schools seem to bear a heavier burden of meeting the needs of a broader and more diverse population (i.e. classroom space, transportation, special needs, etc.). This I believe accounts for some of the test score/ratings differences. It appears to me the burden on the county is increasing (growing populations and needs). Maybe it's the tax base, but the city systems seem to not have as much of a struggle securing necessary funding to meet those needs. I'm not in favor of one school system, but as a city resident I would be willing to do what we can to make the whole county an even better place to live and raise our kids.

I am proud of all our county sports! Although my kids are in the Maryville City system, I love it when Alcoa, WB, and Heritage excel in their respective classes and regions. The Maryville/WB game last year was one of the best H.S. games I have ever witnessed. The athletes, atmosphere and high level of competition was amazing! Heritage has one of the most beautiful settings in all of Tennessee. I would like for all the schools to compete at the highest level and I see no reason why they can't.

Yes, I would love to see them all play each other! Govman, I have tremendous respect for your thoughts and insights into these programs. Do you see any means by which these parties (whoever is at fault) could reconcile their differences and get the Tornadoes back on the schedules?

Furthermore, does anyone know if the new alignments will factor into the viability of renewing these rivalries. What I am asking is this: Will the possibility of having a loss to a different class or regional opponent affect your chances of making the play-offs? If it does, and I were a coach or AD at WB or Heritage I would not want to risk my play-off chances by scheduling a championship type program like Alcoa or even Maryville if I didn't have too!

Dont worry it will happen soon. You never know here in 10 or 15 years Alcoa fans might be debating whether they should be playing a in county 6A team like WB or Heritage. Things change and programs go through cycles. This is good to debate but there is no need to call any of the county kids cowards. If they had their choice I am sure they would love to play Alcoa every year. For some reason a few chose to make the decision for many. Alcoa fans need to also understand that Heritage and WB probably have the top two toughest schedules in the state right now also. Region 2-5A is very physical and unforgiving. It is very tough to play a 5A schedule...most of you are right that Alcoa could step up to 5A and beat many of those teams WB and Heritage play. But the week in and week out beating woud take a huge toll. After you play Maryville you would turn around and go through Farragut, Oak Ridge, Ooltewah and a much improved Soddy-Daisy and McMinn then have some desert with DB if there are not a ton of injuries by then....you get my point. The bottom line is both administrations have their own ideas on how to make their athletic program better and that is what they have chose to do. I know this rivalry will get back together soon. Everybody needs to try to make it work and get involved and start talking to the right people and quit pointing fingers which is just going to drive a wedge between the county and city programs.

Great post.