ALCOA v. Open date

The first time around (at least as far as WB is concerned) you can lay all the blame on WB (specifically, those responsible for scheduling football games). The second time around, that APB mentions in his original post ... there is more to that story than just William Blount turning Alcoa down. Some of the blame for WB vs AHS not renewing their rivalry lies squarely at the feet of some Alcoa coaches / supporters. No more needs to be said ... it won't accomplish anything. But it is not fair to get on here and "fire shots" at WB that are not completely meritted.

I, for one, have alway been and will always be in favor of putting the Tornadoes on our schedule. Most everyone you address on these boards, APB, feels the same. I do not believe Coach Meadows, Steve Lafon, nor Alvin Hoard are probably surfing Coach T.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe this is why they wont................

:]

All these trips were more than 2 Hrs travel time.

9/5/08 Alcoa 28

@ White House 3

8/24/07 Alcoa 21

@Sping Hill 0 ( only played 1 half/Storm Delay)

8/19/05 Alcoa 37

( Trigg County, Kentucky) @ Hopkinsville 3

So far , when we use our frequent flyer miles , we have won 86-6 :]

First of All I would like to see the county schools play every other county school each season. I know some of the people who made the decision to drop Alcoa and trust me it was not that anyone was afraid of Alcoa.

The GovMan spoke well and there were several instances, on and off the field that prompted the match-ups be cancelled. Things that I won't post that and occurred several years ago on more than one occasion.

I really think if Alcoa really wanted a challenge they could find it closer to home if they worked at it. Fulton, Webb, Knox Central, Farragut, More West and maybe a few others would be glad to have a game with Alcoa.

I think it is ridiculous for some on here to think anyone is afraid of Alcoa.

It is just HS football.

I can't speak for WB's record or how their coaches, AD's or anyone else feels about the decison as I don't know about don't about that end of the county so much. And don't care. I don't have any vendetta's toward Alcoa or Maryville as schools actually I just personally think the whole issue is silly. If the city and county schools would come together as a whole at some point and become one school SYSTEM not one SCHOOL this wouldn't be an issue and you also wouldn't have issues dealing with kids going out of their designated school zone to play. It can be done as it is done in several other states and it does work you just have to be willing to do it.

And yes I gladly pay my county taxes and would pay city taxes as well if I lived within the city limits. We all chose where we live.

You care or you would not be posting here. I've heard your arguments my entire life. It means "we can't catch them so we want to drag them back down to our level."

And since I now know you are Heritage - I don't think your original post of playing Alcoa affecting your playoff status has any merit since your school has 5 playoff appearances in school history, advanced past the first round 1 time, and haven't sniffed them since 1999. I doubt this new alignment is going to do your team any favors. I would play Alcoa and take the nice gate.

I can't speak for WB's record or how their coaches, AD's or anyone else feels about the decison as I don't know about don't about that end of the county so much. And don't care. I don't have any vendetta's toward Alcoa or Maryville as schools actually I just personally think the whole issue is silly. If the city and county schools would come together as a whole at some point and become one school SYSTEM not one SCHOOL this wouldn't be an issue and you also wouldn't have issues dealing with kids going out of their designated school zone to play. It can be done as it is done in several other states and it does work you just have to be willing to do it.

I would not want one school system, as I think having a few schools to choose from forces other schools to be better. I think a little competition is good in all things.

WB non- region games, Maryville, SC, and DB, hardly easy games. I know Alcoa is good, but year in year out not better or scarier than these 3.

By SC u mean Sevier COunty? right? Ur telling me that Alcoa is not better than sevier county? thats ludacris , and i would dare to say that Alcoa could have beat DB 4 out of the past 5 years

I would not want one school system, as I think having a few schools to choose from forces other schools to be better. I think a little competition is good in all things.

One school system would not mean ONE SCHOOL it one mean ONE SYSTEM with more than one school. There would still be more than one high school kids would just be REQUIRED to attend school in there desginated location rather than being given the option to "pay" tuition to attend a city school. There would still be competition. You obviously are too close minded to give it any further thought. I know your real reasons.

One school system would not mean ONE SCHOOL it one mean ONE SYSTEM with more than one school. There would still be more than one high school kids would just be REQUIRED to attend school in there desginated location rather than being given the option to "pay" tuition to attend a city school. There would still be competition. You obviously are too close minded to give it any further thought. I know your real reasons.

I understand what you mean and I know there would be more than one school, but I do not want the all the schools in Blount County ran by one group and system. I think the multiple systems is something that has propelled Maryville and Alcoa to where they are as far as academics go. They compete for students, you aren't guranteed a kid based on where they live. I also think vouchers could be given to county students if they wanted to go to a city school. None of that is about football though and I think the whole system is in trouble. TN ranks far down the list as far as education goes, or at least they did last time I looked. So mama, what are my real reasons? Not close minded, I am open to the idea of completely changing the way public education is done nationwide.

I understand what you mean and I know there would be more than one school, but I do not want the all the schools in Blount County ran by one group and system. I think the multiple systems is something that has propelled Maryville and Alcoa to where they are as far as academics go. They compete for students, you aren't guranteed a kid based on where they live. I also think vouchers could be given to county students if they wanted to go to a city school. None of that is about football though and I think the whole system is in trouble. TN ranks far down the list as far as education goes, or at least they did last time I looked. So mama, what are my real reasons? Not close minded, I am open to the idea of completely changing the way public education is done nationwide.

Well, to change the way public education is done nationwide we are going to have to get things changed in the White House but that's a whole different message board. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> Sorry for the "yelling" I wasn't sure if you understood what I mean when I was talking about the one system. I've been in a system like I suggested and seen great test scores in such a school system but that's been a good ten years ago and been another state.

Well, to change the way public education is done nationwide we are going to have to get things changed in the White House but that's a whole different message board. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> Sorry for the "yelling" I wasn't sure if you understood what I mean when I was talking about the one system. I've been in a system like I suggested and seen great test scores in such a school system but that's been a good ten years ago and been another state.

Yeah I was a little off topic. I guess school choice is one thing I feel strong about. I think we are understood now.