When does basketball practice start?

VolunteerGeneral

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has basketball practice already started? I was surprised to see Gibson County girls team practicing at 9:00 this morning in their gym. Anyone know?

They can be in the gym playing pick up games, it's called open gym. The coach can be there only for supervision not coaching. I'm sure it was just pick up games and that's totally legal.

They can be in the gym playing pick up games, it's called open gym. The coach can be there only for supervision not coaching. I'm sure it was just pick up games and that's totally legal.

Okay. It just seemed very odd that they were playing "pickup games" at 9:00 in the morning during school hours in practice gear.

Okay. It just seemed very odd that they were playing "pickup games" at 9:00 in the morning during school hours in practice gear.

What is practice gear? Do they use gear grease?

What are P E periods? Does everyone use gear grease?

/flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

Well, firstly, Gibson Co. is on block scheduling. That means girls basketball is first block (first thing in the morning!). Our boys normally practice 4th block and after school during practice dates. As for the accusation made by VolunteerGeneral, it is bogus. Our girls may have been wearing practice jerseys and shorts but that does not mean they were having practice. I know they play pick-up games during the off-season as they did that while I was attending school at GC. I talked to a very credible source that is mighty close to the program about what was said on here and I was told that they were pickup games. Yes, Kevin McMillan might've been in the gym watching them or standing there but that doesn't mean he's out there with them coaching. Just to clear that up. VolunteerGeneral, are you someone that is working on the construction out at GC?

Well, firstly, Gibson Co. is on block scheduling. That means girls basketball is first block (first thing in the morning!). Our boys normally practice 4th block and after school during practice dates. As for the accusation made by VolunteerGeneral, it is bogus. Our girls may have been wearing practice jerseys and shorts but that does not mean they were having practice. I know they play pick-up games during the off-season as they did that while I was attending school at GC. I talked to a very credible source that is mighty close to the program about what was said on here and I was told that they were pickup games. Yes, Kevin McMillan might've been in the gym watching them or standing there but that doesn't mean he's out there with them coaching. Just to clear that up. VolunteerGeneral, are you someone that is working on the construction out at GC?

Hey GC...I didn`t make any accusations. I merely said they were practicing. It might not have been a "formal" practice, but playing scheduled pick up games during first block is practice nonetheless. I was just inquiring as to whether official practice had started yet. As to the "gear" they were wearing what I would call official practice jerseys. I never said they were doing anything wrong though. And yes, my company is doing some work out there this week.

Hey GC...I didn`t make any accusations. I merely said they were practicing. It might not have been a "formal" practice, but playing scheduled pick up games during first block is practice nonetheless. I was just inquiring as to whether official practice had started yet. As to the "gear" they were wearing what I would call official practice jerseys. I never said they were doing anything wrong though. And yes, my company is doing some work out there this week.

If they have a class period where all the basketball athletes are in one class they could have been doing basketball related work as long as it was not practice. That is a fine line to distinguish, but I am sure the coaching staff is doing what is legal. It would not be worth risking anything with the talent they have.

We will generally throw a jersey on a kid so that they can keep up with who is on what team when they are playing pick ups. It's not like boys pick up when you can do shirts and skins, that mess will get you put in jail with girls basketball so a jersey is needed!

It's getting close to October 27th and I'm really excited about how the girls are working. We started this week with conditioning and they are really working hard.

I thought that the TSSAA said that schools could not have classes for basketball. My understanding was that the classes had to follow an approved curriculum. Am I mistaken?

This is all I see

Practice During the School Day ??“ All athletic practice during the regular hours of any school day shall conform to the same rules, regulations, and season as corresponding athletic practice outside the school day.

Which I would take that is they could so weightlifting and conditioning or open gym situation.

This is all I see

Practice During the School Day ??“ All athletic practice during the regular hours of any school day shall conform to the same rules, regulations, and season as corresponding athletic practice outside the school day.

Which I would take that is they could so weightlifting and conditioning or open gym situation.

If you have open gym at 8AM, who else would be able to attend except the basketball players?