When does basketball practice start?

VolunteerGeneral

This is really starting to get ridiculous...people need to get facts straight before they start stirring. Chris Mullins, if you had read down further you would have seen:

Practice during the school day: all athletic practice during the regular hours of any school day shall conform to the same rules and regulations as corresponding athletic participation outside the school day.

Which translates into yes, you can play pick up games during the school day.

Thanks

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is really starting to get ridiculous...people need to get facts straight before they start stirring. Chris Mullins, if you had read down further you would have seen:

Practice during the school day: all athletic practice during the regular hours of any school day shall conform to the same rules and regulations as corresponding athletic participation outside the school day.

c

No, you are wrong. Look at your words, which are straight from the handbook I see. Good. It refers to "practice" during the school day. That want go into affectt in Oct. 27th. Right now is conditioning/weight lifting and open facilities.

Furthermore, this has to be available to all students in the building. How can all of the perspective athletes of the school participate in something that is offered an hour and a half a day, during the school day. If you are looking to try out for the team and want to get in shape...I guess you are out of luck because the team is doing conditioning/weight lifting and open facilities while you are in real class. When the day is over and you walk down to the gym there is no one there because your school did not read the part that said "prior to or after the school day". The reason that is in there is to ensure everyone has the opportunity to participate.

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE?"

-Allen Iverson

Westtnman, you have obviously been under a rock....sports have been a part of the school day in ALOT of schools for at least the past 20 years!

Yeah, but 20 years ago, it was at part of the school day but it was 1 period out of 6. Not 25% of the day. I understand block scheduling all too well, but I just think 25% of the school day is too much to be out of the classroom. I am all for kids and sports, but I am afraid we are shortchaning them academically by spending this much of the day out of the classroom. (This is not just aimed at Gibson County---I had nephew that was out of school by 12:00 every day in Jackson with last block being baseball. Then when did not make the team, he was just out at 12:00 due to schedule being set. Now, he is paying for the lack of class time at college)

Can someone help me out with this question? It's very complicated and just curious but should a coach get in trouble if their middle school 2 minutes down the road goes to camp with his high school team but is playing in the middle school/junior varsity division and coached by that middle school coach only? I have yet to find an answer thank you?

The team going to camp with them was fine. It is all of the illegal practice sessions that they have been doing that were wrong. Get real and accept the fact. Cameras dont lie but I guess in this case they do. How long is this going to go on until someone puts a foot down and stops it.

________________________________________________________________________________

Actually, you have it backwards. Pre-high schoolers going to camp apparently is not fine at all. The rationale being, undue influence could be placed on student(s), which could sway him/her/them toward, or even away from one school or the other; in other words, the potential for "recruiting" by the host school. We will probably see documented clarity on this very soon. So, this is actually the biggest consideration. And even here, the elementary students were traveling with their elementary coaches and supervisors.

As to "all of the illegal practice sessions:" There is, indeed a film. And again, this concerns whether actual "coaching instruction" was being given . . . .to an elementary student.

The coach, and now the school have been in contact with the TSSAA, again, to seek clarity.

Your statement is misleading. You're suggesting a pattern. No such pattern exist.

ACTUALLY, what that means is that you CANNOT practice during the school day until the 1st day of basketball practice which this year is October 27th. Those pick-up games must somehow be part of the curriculum for the PE class to be legal according to the state of Tennessee Board of Education..

Can a coach demand that girls participate in open gym? Our coach got angry that our daughter did not participate in open gym and participated in an exposure event. He said she didn't follow the rules and kicked her off the team before TRYOUTS! /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> What are our options? Can she leave an optional program for her neighborhood school without sitting out?

Can a coach demand that girls participate in open gym? Our coach got angry that our daughter did not participate in open gym and participated in an exposure event. He said she didn't follow the rules and kicked her off the team before TRYOUTS! /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> What are our options? Can she leave an optional program for her neighborhood school without sitting out?

I don't think it is within the rules, but I know the high school coaches here have what they call "open gym" but it is required that the players attend and they run drills and scrimmage each other according to the instructions that they are given by the coaches who are there to observe. These open gym sessions are not advertised to the student body in general - only the basketball teams. They also allow some kids from the middle school to come and practice with the high school team which I do not think is within the rules.... It seems like it is just accepted that if you have a good program, you can demand whatever you want to of your players and the communities just accept it.

I don't think it is within the rules, but I know the high school coaches here have what they call "open gym" but it is required that the players attend and they run drills and scrimmage each other according to the instructions that they are given by the coaches who are there to observe. These open gym sessions are not advertised to the student body in general - only the basketball teams. They also allow some kids from the middle school to come and practice with the high school team which I do not think is within the rules.... It seems like it is just accepted that if you have a good program, you can demand whatever you want to of your players and the communities just accept it.

That very well may be in some places but don't generalize and say everyone operates in that manner. I know many who use open gyms to help evaluate both returning players and potential players.

In regards to middle school students, only 8th graders enrolled in a TMSSAA member school may participate

Where is this at?

It doesn't appear that she did anything wrong by the rules but she came close and actually has nothing to do with open gyms. According the the TSSAA by-laws, once a student is listed as eligible if that student participates in an independent game( regardless of whether admission is charged or not) in that sport before the season ends then he/she shall be ruled ineligible for %25 of the number of contests allowed in that sport by the sports calender or for the remainder of the season in that sport, whichever number is least. A 2nd violation will result in a student being ruled ineligible for the remainder of the season. Since this occurred prior to the season ( and even before the 1st official practice date of Oct 27 ) then there isn't any problem as far as rules are concerned. That's the only thing that remotely comes close to any real violation and I just mention this as a point of reference.

I don't understand being kicked off the team for missing an open gym though. Was she a returning player? If so, the really doesn't make any sense. Open Gyms tend to be required for returning players for conditioning reasons and missing it would usually result in extra "ladders" or something of that nature but not expulsion from the team. In terms of a transfer to another school, there would have to be a change of residence in order for her to be eligible at another school. It would have to be both outside the current school's territory and inside the new one's. However, a student must also be enrolled in a school before the 20th day of school of a semester, in regular attendance, and carrying at least 5 full credits during the present semester. That all said, I would think she could transfer now and be eligible for the 2nd half of the season. I'm no expert but this is just what I get from my reading of the by-laws on the TSSAA website.