greatest teams in tennessee history

Guest EdHarley

Guest wigwam

Many people may not remember those great teams from Linden High from 1955-57 who won the state 3 years in a row when their was no classifications. They were a very small school who beat many of the state powerhouses of the day. I will agree with Edharley that the 1997 Perry County team was one of the best I have seen in any classification in many years, they were definetly the best team in 1997. Also those Science Hill teams were very, very good. The Memphis Fairley team in 92 or 93 was also good as well as Memphis East in Tony Harris' jr year. I don't really remember any great teams out of Nashville but those Whites Creek teams were good but to me you have to win a state to be great!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Deputydog,

I well remember the Hampton team of which you speak. They beat Union City in the championship game. Union City was 31-0, and ranked #1 in the state. Had John Ed Miller (Vanderbilt fame), Charlie Forrest (UT football fame), Hardy Graham (Ole Miss), Jerry Spencer (Freed Hardeman) and Gunther Eichorn. Lee Grasfeder (Army) and John Tanner (US Congressman) were also on that team. It was one of the biggest upsets in the state.

I got to know Buck Van Huss later on in life, and there has never been a more colorful coach in the game. Loved to hear him tell stories and he had a million of them. He is truly a ledgendary coach not only in Tennessee but in the nation. We miss him.

Science Hill from 90-95, especially the 95 team. Like UNCCJP33 said the 1995 SH team beat nationally #1 ranked Oak Hill Academy. That was without a doubt the best hs baskeball game I've ever seen. The 95 Hilltopper team was probably the most talented team ever in TN. So I'll say the 1995 Science Hill basketball team is the best in TN history.

I know this thread is about the best teams ever, and teams that won the State, BUT.....the 97' Bartlett team HAS to be one of the best ever. 35-2, lost 2 games by a combined 4 points that year, one at the buzzer and one to Cleveland. They were nationally ranked as high as #17. Won all 35 games by double digits. Defense was the best defense i've ever seen. Averaged around 80ppg while only giving up like 47.

Posted by tnhooper45:

who all was on that 97 bartlett team?

Rick Houston, Amory Sanders were the two stars...Houston went to Richmond, Sanders went to a JUCO then Southeast Missouri and led the NCAA in three-point shooting for a while. The other starters were Kevin Dees, Adam Baldridge, and Jimmy Longo. Backups Chris Scobey and Daniel Weaver went to Alabama-Huntsville and Memphis then SEMO, respectively.

That team was just a machine...TJ's stats were a little off, but not by much...average score was 75-47. They had one game at Craigmont that year where they led 34-30 at halftime, it looked like it would be a relatively close game...after the third quarter it was 68-30, and they went on to tie the school scoring record in a 106-40 win. That was one of the two most impressive halves of basketball I've ever seen.

The other was the 2001 Bartlett team taking a 35-6 lead at halftime against Bolton. They were up 50-6 with 2:40 left in the third and 63-18 when the starters came out in the fourth quarter.

I think the White Co. teams of 98 and 99 have to be considered. Not many teams have won back to back state titles that alone says something. They were also ranked as high as 7th in the nation at one point in 99. Only one public school ranked in front of them (Scott Co., KY). They also won the King Cotton Christmas Classic which was one of the premier tournaments in the nation. Featured many of the premier teams and players from the nation. Biggest name there was Joe Johnson. Who stared at Arkansa for a year and a half (sat out first half of freshman year) and then was drafted like 12th overrall in the draft after his sophmore year. The starting Pg for Villanova now (Derrick Snowden) was in the championship against White Co. Anyway I just thought they had to be considered in there somehwere.

I think it was 85 when Marvin Alexander was a Sr and Ron Huery was a Jr . It didn't matter who they put in the game, there were no weak links. I think they lost one game to an out of state team. They played Westwood for the State Championship. Both teams knew who would win. Westwood had a great team with Cheyenne Gibson. They won the state the following year. The Whites Creek and Science Hill teams were great too.