Science Hill @ Tennessee High

THSVikings2004

Comp knows??¦you never kick a (good) team when they??™re down. Especially went you still have to play em /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> . With this years Viking group (players and coaches) you truly don??™t know what to expect from week to week. They are trying so many different things to try and compensate for injuries you just never know. One thing I do know is that we have the tools to compete (the first half against DB proved that to me). I have seen SH and South play and even with the Vikings struggles, they will both have to bring their A game to get out with a win. People also overlook the ???match up??? factor which I believe will be more of an equalizing factor in the SH game more so than the South. There are things that have caused the Vikings problems that I don??™t see SH bringing to the table. On offense the Viking coaching staff has opened it up quite a bit in comparison??¦so stopping Keenan isn??™t going to be as easy as loading up the box anymore. SH opening offensive possession will set the tone of this game. If the Vikings can keep them off the board early they will make a game of it. If they allow Kinley to break loose and make a big play??¦it??™s going to be a long night (probably in the rain). /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Comparing the first half of the DB vs.THS game is not much of a Measuring tool.That was the first game for both teams.A lot has changed since then.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THSVikings2004, I look forward to posting with you and who is it Cap?? among others this week, and I am excited about this game. I love coming to the Castle, even though we haven't fared so well in recent years. As your topic points out, this is indeed a game of redemption for the Toppers. Last season, a few 4th down turnovers that should have been SH field goals, combined with 30 yards in penalties against SH on the last drive, set up Mason Canty to Thomas Turnbull for 39 yds, a TD, broken hearts across Johnson City, and a season ending skid that is surely mathematically impossible to repeat. No one loses like SH did last season in the 2nd half of the year. SH is out to get everyone's minds off of the hail mary miracle TD from TN High, and back to the fact that SH, despite an anemic offense last season, and some terrible play calling, stood toe to toe with TN High for 47:30 last season.

This junior dominated SH team is totally different from last season's team. Speed and outside plays are still the basis, but this season, SH has the players to make it work. Isaac Kinley, Wes Forbush, Armando Canepa, Ryan Mitchell, Corey Macpherson, and Daniel Norris will carry the offense. Much of the same on defense, with Kinley, Forbush, and Norris the Topper's starting secondary. These guys are as solid a secondary as most in the region. Senior leadership is key in the linebacking core with Zach Jordan, Jeff Green, Caleb Mancuso, and Obie Patton being key players in the rotation. Will Rentel will anchor the defensive line, and Jordan Alexander has been coming into his own as a backup defensive end.

The question: will the SH defense, a bit mediocre against the run, be able to slow Keenan Shepard, Taylor Harmon, Mason Canty, and the TN High offense? Also, will the Topper offense be able to move the ball against a Viking defense that is speedy and athletic every year?

TN High's defense, and the Viking home crowd, will keep the Topper offense in check, but several big plays from Isaac Kinley and Wes Forbush, combined with some good special teams play by Corey Macpherson and Ryan Mitchell could be the difference in field position and a few crucial points. I like Brandon MacAuley to settle this low scoring affair with a FG close to the end of the 3rd Qtr.

Science Hill: 17

TN High: 13

Picks: 3-1. 3 in a row. Hopefully more of the same this coming Friday in Bristol. Good luck to all.

I have seen THS condition after practice, and what ive heard of SH as long as THS has the toppers in the first half, then all they gotta do is just drive the ball down, because SH is not a condtioned team

THS34

Science Hill-14

I have seen THS condition after practice, and what ive heard of SH as long as THS has the toppers in the first half, then all they gotta do is just drive the ball down, because SH is not a condtioned team

THS34

Science Hill-14

That was an '07 issue. And it might still be a factor...but only in extreme situations...against DB. The Vikings lost to Volunteer last year and they were clearly the superior team. I know because they came close to handing South the popcorn. They may not play another a game this season but they will play this one because even though they know it's a non/con they will fight for pride. For if they lose this one you can write them off. J County will even beat them. I know...this is not '07 but it is also not '05 and that was the last Viking team that was vulnerable.

Core, I know the DB/THS game was a debacle and it was long ago but I just can't imagine Bristol playing the same football they played against East. You say, well East is not to Shabby... I just see Stubbs building a large fire this week. You say, the 'Toppers have learned how to control the run now. And I say they are too happy for a 5th week team.

In my book it will be a dog fight and I don't see JC going primarily to the air. Which is what they must do to beat the 'Vikes. I don't see them playing control football...they will always be looking for the big play. There will be turnovers and that will decide the game. In my view they will take the Vikings lightly in light of their performance of late. I stand by my prediction. And no, I didn't have supper at Caps place tonight. After all...like his method or not, Stubbs has been around the block. Rebel Nation.

I have an x factor for every game. Against South, it was the Topper defense vs. Taylor Fletcher. Fletch got 196 yds in a good game that South won. Yes the Toppers lost, but they COMPETED. That is a big step up from last year. Against Elizabethton, it was speed. SH won the speed battle and the game. Against West, Topper D vs Tyrell Fredricks. Kid got 150, but we came out with more points, and I was pleased with the overall effort. Against Sevier Co, it was the Topper linebackers vs Zac Flynn and Patrick Miller. The guys won that battle for 3 qtrs, but the D gave up 21 pts in the 4th. They scored just enough points to hang onto the win and prevent the improbable comeback. Tonight, I have 2 x factors. The first, and IMO the most crucial, is the Topper offense vs. the weather. A wet field could expose the Toppers if they have to go to the running game more than usual. They are a gimmick play offense, and they have certain plays that just won't work if the ground is wet and guys are slipping around. The second of my x factors is Topper WRs vs the Viking secondary. They have a nice size advantage. Wes Forbush is 6'2, and has great hands playing both ways. At 6'6, Larry Smith won't beat you with his speed, but he has a knack for catching the ball over defenders, and is hard to bring down because he is so lanky. If Norris is on the field, he is going to go to Larry. On their first play together against South, they connected on a 35 yd completion. Against West, Isaac and Larry connected on an easy 17 yd TD that consisted of Isaac lobbing it up and letting Larry go get it. Larry simply reached up and snatched the ball out of the air. No one has to throw for 400 in this one, but if Isaac and Daniel are able to hit receivers downfield, and take advantage of the size mismatch, that will open things up on the ground because the Vikes will be forced to respect the pass. If the Topper QBs can't make those plays, then a pumped up Vike D playing at home could keep their team in this one. I still like the Toppers in a low scoring 17-13 effort. Rain or shine, can't wait to get up to the Castle for this one. Should be a good one.

I have an x factor for every game. Against South, it was the Topper defense vs. Taylor Fletcher. Fletch got 196 yds in a good game that South won. Yes the Toppers lost, but they COMPETED. That is a big step up from last year. Against Elizabethton, it was speed. SH won the speed battle and the game. Against West, Topper D vs Tyrell Fredricks. Kid got 150, but we came out with more points, and I was pleased with the overall effort. Against Sevier Co, it was the Topper linebackers vs Zac Flynn and Patrick Miller. The guys won that battle for 3 qtrs, but the D gave up 21 pts in the 4th. They scored just enough points to hang onto the win and prevent the improbable comeback. Tonight, I have 2 x factors. The first, and IMO the most crucial, is the Topper offense vs. the weather. A wet field could expose the Toppers if they have to go to the running game more than usual. They are a gimmick play offense, and they have certain plays that just won't work if the ground is wet and guys are slipping around. The second of my x factors is Topper WRs vs the Viking secondary. They have a nice size advantage. Wes Forbush is 6'2, and has great hands playing both ways. At 6'6, Larry Smith won't beat you with his speed, but he has a knack for catching the ball over defenders, and is hard to bring down because he is so lanky. If Norris is on the field, he is going to go to Larry. On their first play together against South, they connected on a 35 yd completion. Against West, Isaac and Larry connected on an easy 17 yd TD that consisted of Isaac lobbing it up and letting Larry go get it. Larry simply reached up and snatched the ball out of the air. No one has to throw for 400 in this one, but if Isaac and Daniel are able to hit receivers downfield, and take advantage of the size mismatch, that will open things up on the ground because the Vikes will be forced to respect the pass. If the Topper QBs can't make those plays, then a pumped up Vike D playing at home could keep their team in this one. I still like the Toppers in a low scoring 17-13 effort. Rain or shine, can't wait to get up to the Castle for this one. Should be a good one.

This is off topic but could you elaborate a bit on Fredericks and Goforth and maybe compare them to Fletcher. And maybe an idea how the South D will deal with those two. Could you rank RB's you have seen the 'Toppers play so far.