Oak Ridge Player without socks

SirPettus

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest caligula

When Tim Hammontree was the Maryville coach players were required to wear the same socks, jocks, and undershirts. If coach says do it, do it. Be a team player.

I am a former coach. Part of the great game of football is the aspect of discipline. The Oak Ridge program is very rich in tradition. Do you think if you asked the members of Jack Armstrongs teams, EMory Hales teams, or Coach Gaddis teams, they would have second guessed the dress of the the coach on picture day? It is an honor to represent your team reguardless of the program. I think if you let the coaches coach and instill the values that are lacking in society in today, the players will be better for it.In spite of what you think of Coach Lussier, let the man coach and the less second guessing that is around, the better the program will be.

Good posts guys! I'm so tired of people complaining about taking responsibility for themselves! Bring your stuff to practice! What if it was his cleats, helmet, or other pads? What if he was in charge of the football bag on game day? :confused:

I have boys blame their mommy each week! "Coach, my mommy forgot to wash my stuff, can I still practice? My response is simple, "No son, you can carry water bottles to the team right after you complete a BIG 12!" :(

[Edited by ELA on 8-7-02 10:46P]

I am far removed from Oak Ridge and therefore have no business commenting on that situation specifically. However, the discussion interests me to the point of commenting on the broad issue of lack of responsibility throughout youth sports, exhibited by coaches, players, and parents alike.

#1 Many people will say that it was an honest mistake, not done on purpose. I can't agree more. Honest mistake, honest consequences. We learn best from our mistakes. If this guy is worth his salt, and not just another kid pushing the coach's buttons, I will bet my salary he never shows up Friday night without his cleats and asks to borrow a non-starter's shoes so he might play . That will serve him a whole lot better in life than having his picture in a yearbook photo that will surely wind up buried in attics all across the region in a very short time.

#2 Look at any other aspect in life. You don't bring your homework, no problem do it in class? You didn't do the work, don't worry here's your diploma? You don't have your license, drive on, get it later? No visa, right this way?. People will say those comparisons are ridiculous, it was just a pair of socks. My question: When do things start counting? When does it start to matter? When do you have to be responsible? Kids need to know.

SirPettus,

You continue to amaze me with your composition skills. Each time you post on this message board, it makes me wonder how Oak Ridge High School can claim to be one of the top schools in the country.

Again, SirPettus, if you are going to continue to post messages about Coach LUSSIER, at least spell his name correctly.

Does a coach need discipline? Yes...without question.

Does a player need the right socks? Absolutely. Imagine what would happen if Casey Clausen wore the wrong socks!

Do you cut a player for wearing the wrong pair of socks on picture day? Never heard of any coach doing this before the Oak Ridge story was posted.

Must be other issues with the player who was cut. BUT do you cut a player over socks?

Did Bear Bryant ever call a player into his office and tell him he was off the team for wearing the wrong pair of socks? Are we talking about Ensign Pulver and the strawberries and a pair of socks, or a discipline issue? And if it is a discipline issue, is a pair of socks the point where it all hits critical mass?

Guest 3teasley0

I think Coach Lussier did the right thing by sending that kid home. There are rules for every thing and they should be followed. Just like sirpettus said if you let one kid get away with something than the next guy will feel like he can get away with stuff too. Good job Coach Lussier!!

Once again the radiation in Oak Ridge has stirred up another trivial conversation about Oak Ridge football. ( Oak Ridge streak is in trouble and socks R us) Pictures are forever but so are lessons learned. The difference is you can take another picture but you start letting players do what they want thye will always think they can.

Posted by boorelly:

Once again the radiation in Oak Ridge has stirred up another trivial conversation about Oak Ridge football. ( Oak Ridge streak is in trouble and socks R us) Pictures are forever but so are lessons learned. The difference is you can take another picture but you start letting players do what they want thye will always think they can.

boorelly...I have to think if Coach Stevens were in the exact situation he would have gotten McGoo or one of the Millers to go and get the storied SOCKS from the school and this would be a moot point.

I totally agree with the lack of responsibility issue and such but a Coach who was really a TEAM PLAYER would have handled it another way like then run him til he puuuuuuks.

If the starting QB forgets or loses his mouthpiece this season for Oak Ridge you better believe he will hand him another one. [i would bet if he were the unfortunate sock player he would have somehow been in the darn picture]

The player with the wrong socks is a projected starter (The Oak Ridger, August 8, 2002) for Friday's scrimmage against Maryville. If this were more than the sock issue he wouldn't start against Maryville.The kid wore the wrong socks and was not allowed to be in the picture, let's move on. It's not a conspiracy or a power trip on the part of the coach, it's a lack of responsibility on the part of the player, and apparently has been forgiven.

Go Wildcats!!!