USJ at Milan

bulldawgs#1

Yal were talking about milans 2 top staters being out but i think zach denton and hakim hart stepped in and done a fine job. I do agree that milan didnt play press coverage because of the young guys were playing corner. milans starters could not have intercepted the pass any better than the sophmore did. GOOD JOB MILAN!!!!and GOOD LUCK THE REST OF THE WAY USJ.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a sophomore that plays MLB on USJ's football team but I am not starting because Preston Overbey is starting in front of me and its hard to out play one of the Overbeys. First off, I want to say GREAT GAME MILAN! Both teams played GREAT and didn't give up. USJ played a great game last night with a lot of heart. We never gave up and we played with all that we had. Milan's running game did tend to run all over our defense, but I think that we came right back with our passing game. USJ couldn't run the ball through Milan's defensive line, but when we have the receiving trio Austin Martindale, Danny Smigielski, and Dusty Bright we don't really need to run as much. Don't get me wrong, I do think running game is VERY important, especially if you combine it with good receivers. The outcome was Milan beating USJ 42-35, but Usj did an amazing job facing the #2 team in the state. Good game Milan, I hope you come out winning the rest of your games.

Good post from the USJ kid. You have shown a lot of class with this post. We could not have asked any more effort from you guys that you gave last night. You all made the Bruin nation proud.

Great, great ballgame. Milan is loaded and talented at every aspect of the game. I see them going deep into playoffs. Great weather, full stands on both sides, lots of class on the field (saw both teams helping each other up).....that's what it is all about folks !

The multiplier was put in place because private schools don't have to adhere to any zoning laws. Hypothetically, you could live 50 miles from Jackson, and you could still attend USJ. That is not saying USJ recruits, it is saying that Public schools can't accept anyone outside of their zone. That is why the multiplier is in place.

Please tell me that you are not trying to say that Milan has NEVER had a football player who lived OUTSIDE of the Milan zone lines. If you are, you really want to stop now before you travel further down that road.

Guest nwtnsports

We respect the team. It is unintelligent posts that we disrespect.

I think there have been a few unintelligent posts on this thread, but they haven't been made by USJ fans.

We really don't want to make this a public/private discussion.

USJ should finish the season 9-1. They have two more big games, though - Westview at home this Thursday, then at JCS in two weeks. It seems like Milan has passed their biggest test of the season. But they must get healthy and ready to see more of the spread offense at JCS this week.

The multiplier was put in place because private schools don't have to adhere to any zoning laws. Hypothetically, you could live 50 miles from Jackson, and you could still attend USJ. That is not saying USJ recruits, it is saying that Public schools can't accept anyone outside of their zone. That is why the multiplier is in place.

Honest answer - do you think that in West Tenn an individual has ever moved into a certain public school zone for the sole purpose of playing his/her chosen sport at that chosen school. If you do, is this fair and is it any different than private schools not having to adhere to zoning laws? Should that situation not be "equalized" with the 1.8? If you don't, then end of discussion I guess. Not trying to turn into a pub/priv discussion, but with USJ going DII next year there are definitely mixed feelings especially after watching such a great game with Milan. I think DII is more fair and "safer" for USJ and JCS in the long run but I'm afraid the competition will be weaker and probably make for less exciting and meaningful memories.

Honest answer - do you think that in West Tenn an individual has ever moved into a certain public school zone for the sole purpose of playing his/her chosen sport at that chosen school. If you do, is this fair and is it any different than private schools not having to adhere to zoning laws? Should that situation not be "equalized" with the 1.8? If you don't, then end of discussion I guess. Not trying to turn into a pub/priv discussion, but with USJ going DII next year there are definitely mixed feelings especially after watching such a great game with Milan. I think DII is more fair and "safer" for USJ and JCS in the long run but I'm afraid the competition will be weaker and probably make for less exciting and meaningful memories.

I know for a fact this has happened because I played football against a player one year and then with him the next year and the move was only for football. It has been years ago. I know USJ has not had the teams in the last 2-3 years they had in the past and this coincided with their move to 2A which produced less than favorable results. However, I am firmly convinced playing larger schools places you in an unfair situation purely because of numbers/depth. Friday night's game is a perfect example. Milan has tremendous athletes and so does USJ. I think they might have swapped touchdowns all night. But, in the end, a couple of bad series for USJ equaled no points and the defensive/offensive lines could not stop Milan especially when they used up the last 5 minutes of the clock. Again, I'm not saying that any team could have prevented Milan from using up the clock, just those guys were obviously spent. From seeing Harding's team, I think we will fair pretty well in future years and would suspect that each DII team will have 1-2 superstars like Brown we have to face, but overall we should do well. I hate to say this because I'm a Tennessee fan, but I think private schools in W TN are like Vanderbilt in the SEC. They will always play you tough and give everything they have and a few years beat you, but in the end the upper tier teams in our region will win due to size/program, etc. DII gives us the opportunity to play schools similarly situated.

I know for a fact this has happened because I played football against a player one year and then with him the next year and the move was only for football. It has been years ago. I know USJ has not had the teams in the last 2-3 years they had in the past and this coincided with their move to 2A which produced less than favorable results. However, I am firmly convinced playing larger schools places you in an unfair situation purely because of numbers/depth. Friday night's game is a perfect example. Milan has tremendous athletes and so does USJ. I think they might have swapped touchdowns all night. But, in the end, a couple of bad series for USJ equaled no points and the defensive/offensive lines could not stop Milan especially when they used up the last 5 minutes of the clock. Again, I'm not saying that any team could have prevented Milan from using up the clock, just those guys were obviously spent. From seeing Harding's team, I think we will fair pretty well in future years and would suspect that each DII team will have 1-2 superstars like Brown we have to face, but overall we should do well. I hate to say this because I'm a Tennessee fan, but I think private schools in W TN are like Vanderbilt in the SEC. They will always play you tough and give everything they have and a few years beat you, but in the end the upper tier teams in our region will win due to size/program, etc. DII gives us the opportunity to play schools similarly situated.

good post. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Milan can't help it if families want to move into their school zone to play at Milan. The point is that they have to move into our school zone. That costs a lot of money so I would say that it doesn't happen too often. USJ students don't have to move. When I explained the multiplier, I wasn't saying that the TSSAA put it in place because of USJ. There are other private schools that have kids from outside the county. I guess the TSSAA should have said every private school except USJ has to adhere to the multiplier. You don't have to like the multiplier, but it is what it is. And for that matter, I guess the Milan school board should tell anyone that wants to move to Milan that they can't.

I think there have been a few unintelligent posts on this thread, but they haven't been made by USJ fans.

We really don't want to make this a public/private discussion.

USJ should finish the season 9-1. They have two more big games, though - Westview at home this Thursday, then at JCS in two weeks. It seems like Milan has passed their biggest test of the season. But they must get healthy and ready to see more of the spread offense at JCS this week.

From that post, I would assume that you are not a USJ fan then.

Guest nwtnsports

That is a humorous, but astute observation.

Back to our conversation last week. Instead of just implying a point, I'll state it explicitly. Milan fumbles inside the USJ 10 on their first possession of the game. 5 fumbles on the season. 1 interception. 7 punts. That's 13 missed scoring opportunities. So they could have potentially scored 91 more points. Not perfect, but still good. Then there's the penalty factor. 6 for 47 yards Friday night. That's 39 for 294 yards this season - and they've been penalized more than the opponent in all but one game, BT Washington.

That said, 6-0 is the only number that matters for Milan right now. It's all in perspective. I agree with everything else that you said in your post on Friday. We might have finally seen that complete game. Now it's on to Jackson Christian. Got to get healthy.

The Bruins are a great team. Best of luck to them against Westview on Thursday night. That's another big game.