Moving to New Divisions or Levels

DonCChatt

for those who don't already know fra and dca both located in nashville will move to D2

With these two, we have at least the following changes in A/AA

FRA, DCA, USJ, JCS, Fayette Academy -- all going to D2

Catholic, Station Camp, Portland, Seymour - going to AAA

Looking at who has made it to State the last 2 years (of these teams), you see FRA, USJ, JCS and Catholic. That's 50% of the teams that made it to State. That is a whole new ballgame, with a bunch of new teams making it (or returning) to State.

State still leaves ND, CCS, CAK, CPA among the powers. Who is likely to step into the void created by these departing teams? Madison? Hume-Fogg? Alcoa?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With these two, we have at least the following changes in A/AA

FRA, DCA, USJ, JCS -- all going to D2

Catholic, Station Camp, Portland - going to AAA

Looking at who has made it to State the last 2 years (of these teams), you see FRA, USJ, JCS and Catholic. That's 50% of the teams that made it to State. That is a whole new ballgame, with a bunch of new teams making it (or returning) to State.

State still leaves ND, CCS, CAK, CPA among the powers. Who is likely to step into the void created by these departing teams? Madison? Hume-Fogg? Alcoa? Seymore?

Seymour is moving to AAA.

Wow, that REALLY changes things with FRA, USJ, and others going D2! For the guys side, it opens things up just as much!

In Memphis paper this AM.....

Fayette Academy switching to Division 2

By Jason Smith (Contact), Memphis Commercial Appeal

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

With Friday the deadline for TSSAA schools to announce their intentions to move to Division 2, Fayette Academy athletic director Rick Sullivan said Tuesday the Vikings will make the switch to D2 for the 2009-13 classification period.

Fayette Academy, with a current enrollment of 262, is the only Shelby-Metro private school participating in Division 1. The move to D2 would allow the school to avoid the TSSAA's 1.8 enrollment multiplier for private schools competing in D2 when reclassification begins later this month.

"I think not just us, but a lot of the Division 1 (private) schools, we didn't really favor the multiplier that much," Sullivan said. "We were a little fearful that if we grow, with the multiplier, we might be bumped up to (Class) AA or even AAA (in D1) just because of the multiplier.

"Now I think we're going to be playing schools more like ourselves -- other private schools like the SBECs and the FACSs. ... With D2 divided into A and AA, I think it's just a better fit for us."

Sullivan said the Vikings' switch to D2, along with University School of Jackson, Jackson Christian School, Nashville Donelson Christian Academy and Franklin Road Academy, was a decision welcomed by current D2 schools.

"We went to a meeting with all the Division 2s, and they were trying to recruit us Division 1 private schools to make their state tournament more legit," Sullivan said. "I mean, when some teams win (state), it's no more than winning their region really. So it's going to make it a little bit more legit, having more teams in there."

Sullivan said the Vikings' move to D2 would also cut transportation costs and likely increase gate revenue.

"From an administrative side, I think playing the FACS', the Rossville's, the Tipton-Rosemark's, the St. George's and the USJ's, we're going to have much bigger gates money-wise than when we played Manassas or Middle College," he said.

Of Course I found this on the Football Tread, but it does look correct on the new districts for A/AA. MJ posted the AAA a few pages ago.

CLASS AA

District 1: 3A ? Elizabethton, Happy Valley, Johnson Co., Sullivan North, Unicoi Co.; 4A ? Sullivan Central; Sullivan East

District 2: 3A ? Chuckey-Doak, Cumberland Gap, S. Greene, W. Greene; 4A ? Claiborne, Greeneville, Grainger Co., Union Co.

District 3: 3A ? Gatlinburg-Pittman, Pigeon Forge; 4A ? Austin-East, Carter, Fulton, Gibbs

District 4: 3A ? Alcoa, CAK, Kingston, Loudon; 4A ? Scott Co., Stone Memorial

District 5: 3A ? McMinn Central, Meigs Co., Polk Co., Sweetwater; 4A ? Sequoyah

District 6: 3A ? Boyd-Buchanan, Howard, Tyner; 4A ? Brainerd, Chatt. Central, East Ridge, Hixson, Notre Dame

District 7: 3A ? Bledsoe Co., Chatt. Chr., Grundy Co., Sequatchie Co., Signal Mountain; 4A ? No teams

District 8: 3A ? Cannon Co., Jackson Co., Smith Co., York; 4A ? DeKalb Co., Livingston Acad., Macon Co.

District 9: 3A ? DCA, Goodpasture, Westmoreland; 4A ? Greenbrier, Springfield, Sycamore, White House

District 10: 3A ? CPA, East Literature, Hume-Fogg*, M.L. King*, Pearl-Cohn; 4A ? David Lipscomb, Stratford

District 11: 3A ? Cheatham Co., Fairview, Harpeth, Stewart Co., Waverly; 4A ? Creek Wood, Montgomery Central

District 12: 3A ? East Hickman, Hickman Co., Lewis Co., Loretto; 4A ? Giles Co., Marshall Co., Page, Spring Hill

District 13: 3A ? Milan, Westview; 4A ? Covington, Crockett Co., Dyersburg, Fayette-Ware, Gibson Co., Haywood, Obion Co., Ripley

District 14: 3A ?Camden, Jackson Central Merry, Jackson Chr., USJ; 4A ? Bolivar, Chester Co., Jackson South Side, Lexington, Liberty, McNairy Central,

District 15: 3A ? Booker T. Washington, Carver, Manassas; 4A ? Frayser, Memphis Northside, Trezevant

District 16: 3A ? Oakhaven; 4A ? Hillcrest, Kingsbury, Memphis East, Mitchell, Sheffield

I guess the thing is that all of this is up in the air until the November meeting (officially, that is). We can speculate, but most of these sources deal with other sports. While I don't think there will be a big difference with soccer, I have learned to never try and figure out how the TSSAA does things...

Coniglio, I think you may be right. All i know is that they have had a pretty rapid growth in enrollment and that added with the multiplier is pushing them to a higher class in football and all of those teams compete in AAA.

They have approximately 650 students. Rapid growth? I would say the multiplier is the controlling factor that will have them potentially playing schools with over 2000 students. /wacko.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wacko:" border="0" alt="wacko.gif" />

bulldog, pleast don't think I am saying that the multiplier is fair to all the schools. I only made the comment about growth at Knox Catholic b/c I am catholic and I know that they ask for donations to help keep the school going, not only running, but to provide the type of education and experience that is necessary for many of these young students and athletes to grow with their faith properly. I have nothing against any school that is private and teaching great life lessons and encouraging faith to young people. I think we need it now more than ever. My comment was meant to emphasize how Knox Catholic has continued to grow and with a multiplier in place, it would affect their future classification.

I am not happy with losing some of the best teams out of our division (A/AA) for soccer. It gives everyone else an excuse why we don't deserve to be there. I want our team to be successful, but I want to earn it as well. Hope that clarifies this somewhat.

On a side note, we played Berean tonight to a 2-2 tie. after the match there was a girl for berean that had a medical issue that seemed very severe. I hope anyone reading this would at least keep her in their thoughts and prayers. I honestly don't know what exactly happened as it didn't occur during the match. I hope she is doing fine and it was just a nasty scare. Reminds us that the game isn't everything.