Moving to New Divisions or Levels

DonCChatt

What if someone were to say the recruiting took place before high-school. For instance to play middle school athletics instead of highschool. Does that mean it is not recruiting or is it recruiting? Does TSSAA punish this the same as recruiting in high-school if so?

In a word, yes. The 'undue influence' rule is in effect. As employees of a private school we can't even talk to kids in another school unless their parents have showed 'interest' in our school. I stood all summer next to a family who was leaving the school they were in and whose children I knew because their middle son played Baseball with my son. I couldn't say "We would love to have you guys at our school" even though it was true primarily because the kids are A students and very well behaved...the reason is that the oldest was going into 9th grade and an athlete. If I had said anything to them other than "I'd love to talk about our school with you but I can't until you ask the admissions director for material" I would have violated the undue influence rule. How silly is that?

Parents who aren't employees, however, can talk all they want about their kids' school. That isn't recruiting, it is parents talking to other parents. Bitter private school bashers want to call it recruiting, but plainly if you have something that is a big part of your life and that you are very pleased with you talk about it to your friends. Just like parents who are pleased with their public schools talk them up, parents who are pleased (or displeased) with their private schools talk too.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a word, yes. The 'undue influence' rule is in effect. As employees of a private school we can't even talk to kids in another school unless their parents have showed 'interest' in our school. I stood all summer next to a family who was leaving the school they were in and whose children I knew because their middle son played Baseball with my son. I couldn't say "We would love to have you guys at our school" even though it was true primarily because the kids are A students and very well behaved...the reason is that the oldest was going into 9th grade and an athlete. If I had said anything to them other than "I'd love to talk about our school with you but I can't until you ask the admissions director for material" I would have violated the undue influence rule. How silly is that?

Parents who aren't employees, however, can talk all they want about their kids' school. That isn't recruiting, it is parents talking to other parents. Bitter private school bashers want to call it recruiting, but plainly if you have something that is a big part of your life and that you are very pleased with you talk about it to your friends. Just like parents who are pleased with their public schools talk them up, parents who are pleased (or displeased) with their private schools talk too.

Thats interesting BC, but let me ask you this. Would it have been considered recruiting had you been a public school coach?