Moving to New Divisions or Levels

DonCChatt

Quote from easttnref.

(This will be fun to watch a private school get what they deserve playing with the big boys the next 4 years.)

I don't have a clue who plays who, but why do private schools have a target put on their back by the publics. I guess from your name you are a ref. I would hate to be Father Ryan playing Bearden and have you working. Can you say "bias"? Guess they would "get what they deserve". /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Schadenfreude

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Schadenfreude

Had to look it up.... (Wikipedia.org is great!)

Schadenfreude is malicious pleasure taken from observing the misery of another. The word referring to this emotion has been borrowed from German by the English language[1] and is sometimes also used as a loanword by other languages.

Philosopher and sociologist Theodor Adorno defined schadenfreude as ???largely unanticipated delight in the suffering of another which is cognized as trivial and/or appropriate.???[2]

Quote from easttnref.

(This will be fun to watch a private school get what they deserve playing with the big boys the next 4 years.)

I don't have a clue who plays who, but why do private schools have a target put on their back by the publics. I guess from your name you are a ref. I would hate to be Father Ryan playing Bearden and have you working. Can you say "bias"? Guess they would "get what they deserve". /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Well the privates in AAA are the ones I have a problem with. They (privates) should be in division II or AAA. Not in Football, but small sports, golf,soccer,swimming,baseball, and softball.

This might be the districts for A/AA

http://www.tssaa.org/A-AAdistricts.pdf

Better than what I thought, though I still find it odd that Chattanooga A/AA teams are spread out over 3 different districts....

Poor ole' Hixson....They finally get out from CCS and ND being in their district, but they loose all their club players this year. /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

No, I am not saying that it is easier. I have the utmost respect for the teams in our district. While we lose Catholic, Alcoa is a formidable opponent.

Sigh... and I had thought we had made great strides, EastTNref. With beating Catholic this year, I figured maybe your viewpoints might have changed a bit.

So one year out of forever Seymour beats Catholic and I should change my viewpoint, I think not! (This was the 1st victory over Catholic boys or girls and I think soccer started in 1986 at Seymour for boys and started in 1999 for girls)

While Alcoa maybe a formidable opponent as you put it. They do not have the talent year after year that Catholic does, nor the level of club players. I know you respect your opponents in your district, but the fact is that Catholic is the only one that has challenged you in the last 5 years (because they are the closest in talent to CAK).

Its ok G I just think that what TSSAA has done now with all the other privates jumping to DivII is make the AAA soccer title mean less than it ever has. Almost like The Div II A title is now (adding Webb, FRA, USJ, JCS, CPA will make it more valid, but at the cost of taking away from AAA)

Well the privates in AAA are the ones I have a problem with. They (privates) should be in division II or AAA. Not in Football, but small sports, golf,soccer,swimming,baseball, and softball.

I disagree....the public school parents need to get their children involved in club soccer at a young age. This will take care of the private schools dominating in soccer.....Ask Station Camp.

Oh, Great season SC and Seymour.

Its ok G I just think that what TSSAA has done now with all the other privates jumping to DivII is make the AAA soccer title mean less than it ever has. Almost like The Div II A title is now (adding Webb, FRA, USJ, JCS, CPA will make it more valid, but at the cost of taking away from AAA)

Even with all those private schools you mentioned going to D2-A, the majority of private schools in Tennessee are still in Division 1, for Girl's soccer that means A/AA. Girl's soccer, IMO, is the exception to the rule as far as privates vs. publics with the 1.8 multiplier in effect. It's still more of a rural vs. urban issue, with Club being the dominate factor. With girl's basketball, those schools that Private may dominate tend to slaughter us. Therefore, the East Ridge's of the world get their revenge on the Notre Dame's.

With the move, the A/AA picture will shift some, so instead of 0-2 publics making State, it might be 1-6, which probably still won't satisfy some. As long as you have 100 schools belonging to A/AA, it will still be a valid program. Schools with a large number of club players will still dominate. That is a fact. This fact is also true in AAA, but you don't get people screaming about it there, when the Brentwoods and Franklins (and Siegel's, etc) will always have advantages over the large rural AAA schools.

If some got their wish and all private schools went to D2, what would A/AA be left with? Would that be a "valid program"? It's the mix of publics and private being to A/AA that helps ensure that it remains a strong program for a variety of sports, Girl's Soccer Included.

I'm curious, EastTNref, why not football? Are you basing this on winning percentages? Not trying to be smart, just want to understand your thought process.

wbcsoccerstud, I understand the viewpoint that A/AA is now considered "watered down" by many people. I actually was sorry that those teams left. I enjoy playing those quality programs. "So, why don't you join them?" some might ask. If my administration chooses to do so, I will. Until then, we will keep playing where the TSSAA puts us. Is there an "unfair" advantage to us being in A/AA? Depends on your view of "unfair". I think there will NEVER be true equity, even if ALL privates go D2... More rural schools have less club players (on average) than urban, some programs have more support, better coaches, bigger budgets, and so forth. BUT, I DO understand your frustrations. You all know I am for the merit program. It won't happen, but I still support it.

I would really like to know the reason that FRA, USJ and others went to D2. Was it for the tuition assistance? Was it for travel? I REALLY don't think it was because they felt like they shouldn't be in with the public schools.

Either way, I am going to move this to the Public/Private debate... I'll leave a link on the soccer boards. Coach T likes to keep these things on the boards that they were designated for.

Schools with a large number of club players will still dominate. That is a fact. This fact is also true in AAA, but you don't get people screaming about it there, when the Brentwoods and Franklins (and Siegel's, etc) will always have advantages over the large rural AAA schools.

I would like to Scream now.....DonC I like your ideal, lets move the Beardens, Brentwoods,Siegels and for gosh darn sakes the Riverdales to another class or division. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> That would make me happy /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I think it has been said before, but I think it is worth saying again here. Soccer is a different animal, especially girls soccer. Club soccer can be expensive and a huge time investment. When the girls get to high school age and are serious soccer players, THEY tend to "pick" a school that has a good soccer history or a school that has club players that they have been playing with (or against) for years. As a club soccer parent (and everything else), if my daughter had thought she would've had a more enjoyable high school soccer career at another school, I would not have hesitated to let her go there...public or private. And I know this is the sentiment of most club parents from thousands of conversations.

So to me the public-private debate, for girls soccer anyway, is pointless. The girls that play at "lesser" soccer program schools are playing (I hope) because they WANT to play soccer. The better programs, public or private, "attract" the better players. And to tell a kid that has invested so much time and energy (and their parents' money) that they are somehow being unfair to the kids that haven't is ludacris.

On another point, it has been said that the A/AA championship has been lessened by the movement of some of the perennial powers to other divisions. I would agree that the other divisions have been made stronger with the addition of these teams, but no championship involving 100 teams can be considered trivial. The teams play at the level TSSAA assigns or allows and I bet not one player on any championship team would trade the experience.

Oops, gotta go. My daughter just kicked my soapbox out from under me!