Meigs Coaching

TigerTrainer

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rumor has it that Coach Davis might be going back to McMinn County.

If Gene went back to McMinn to coach I would be shocked.....even with the new Super. Not that I agree with it, but I was told he would NEVER coach or teach in McMinn County again. I won't reveal the source, but will say the person who told me that is still involved with how McMinn County schools are operated.

Gene is a good guy and a very good coach, but has got into trouble before with his caustic words and/or his temper.......none of it being directed toward his players, though. To be honest with you, I'd probably have responded to certain parents the way he did.

I've talked to many athletes who have played for him at various schools covering sports, and the vast majority of them say he's a fiery, intense coach who pushes you to be your best in sports and in the classroom. And they said he's a coach they always knew cared about them! I think Gene deserves another chance in McMinn County, with the understanding that he MUST control his temper and choice of words to parents.

Jeff Smith played in the NFL. Titans, Chiefs, and maybe Steelers for a little while.

You stole my thunder (about Jeff Smith) while I was posting something else. Jeff roomed with Peyton Manning at UT, and I think I heard Jeff was working for the S&C coach at UT.

Did Gary Moore ever make any NFL teams? What about the nose tackle (Robby?) who played for UT?

From what I've been told by many Meigs fans who knew him, the biggest waste of talent from there was a big QB who played for the Tigers and graduated about 1980. On of the coaches who coached at UT then even stated this kid was one of the most gifted athletes he had ever seen, especially for his size.

The baseball team has done some improvements this past year. We raised the money spent on these improvements through grants and fundraisers. If you want things done then you need to work to raise the money then do them yourself. That's what we have done.

I'm coaching at a 2a school right now. I may be interested in taking over a program that needs renovated.

Just to add one more thing, Meigs graduated some good tallent last season, just give it time, take it from folks who know, dont keep changing the coaches.

Part of the problem is lack of experience. The Tigers played zero jv games this year and only two last year. The young kids aren't getting enough repetitions. They didn't get much PT last night in the blowout.

Part of the problem is lack of experience. The Tigers played zero jv games this year and only two last year. The young kids aren't getting enough repetitions. They didn't get much PT last night in the blowout.

JV has been a huge part of the rebuilding for Sequoyah, gotta have it. Scheduled some teams both good and not so good, in past we have played Alcoa, Heritage and William Blount (I think) and also area teams. Simply got to have it.

You stole my thunder (about Jeff Smith) while I was posting something else. Jeff roomed with Peyton Manning at UT, and I think I heard Jeff was working for the S&C coach at UT.

Did Gary Moore ever make any NFL teams? What about the nose tackle (Robby?) who played for UT?

From what I've been told by many Meigs fans who knew him, the biggest waste of talent from there was a big QB who played for the Tigers and graduated about 1980. On of the coaches who coached at UT then even stated this kid was one of the most gifted athletes he had ever seen, especially for his size.

Mike Wilson?

If Gene went back to McMinn to coach I would be shocked.....even with the new Super. Not that I agree with it, but I was told he would NEVER coach or teach in McMinn County again. I won't reveal the source, but will say the person who told me that is still involved with how McMinn County schools are operated.

Gene is a good guy and a very good coach, but has got into trouble before with his caustic words and/or his temper.......none of it being directed toward his players, though. To be honest with you, I'd probably have responded to certain parents the way he did.

I've talked to many athletes who have played for him at various schools covering sports, and the vast majority of them say he's a fiery, intense coach who pushes you to be your best in sports and in the classroom. And they said he's a coach they always knew cared about them! I think Gene deserves another chance in McMinn County, with the understanding that he MUST control his temper and choice of words to parents.

Geno is a darn good football coach. He believes the game should be played with a "certain" amount of passion and pride, call it old school if you like, but I respect the heck out of it. He could coach my son anyday.

JV has been a huge part of the rebuilding for Sequoyah, gotta have it. Scheduled some teams both good and not so good, in past we have played Alcoa, Heritage and William Blount (I think) and also area teams. Simply got to have it.

What are you talking about rebuilding? From 3 wins to 4 wins because Meigs had a down year? Come on Dum-Dum get real. How many seniors were on the varsity this year? The seniors really tried to make this a breakout year and was successful in many ways except for on the scoreboard. JV influence on the outcome had to be minimal unless you had juniors playing on the JV last year. Yep JV needs reps, most importantly JV needs dedicated time for being coached, not just thrown into game situations without prep time. You above all should know that the seniors on this years team are responsible for any improvements that have been made......

Geno is a darn good football coach. He believes the game should be played with a "certain" amount of passion and pride, call it old school if you like, but I respect the heck out of it. He could coach my son anyday.

I agree with you 100%. We need more coaches who don't have to be so politically correct, and who are allowed to defend themselves against parents verbally abusing them becaue lil' Johhny or Suzy Q isn't happy. Gene is as fair as anyone and he genuinely cares about his players. He could care less about their last name or who their Mom or Dad is.

I agree with you 100%. We need more coaches who don't have to be so politically correct, and who are allowed to defend themselves against parents verbally abusing them becaue lil' Johhny or Suzy Q isn't happy. Gene is as fair as anyone and he genuinely cares about his players. He could care less about their last name or who their Mom or Dad is.

Being a lifelong Meigs fan I totally agree with you. Gene is a loyal, fair, caring and intense football coach. He will reward you for hard work and punish for no work. The parents who disagree with his style are parents who never played the game. I hope he stays but fully understand if he leaves. Good luck Gene in whatever you choose.