Class 1A Mr. Football Official Ballot

CoachT

Daniel Pugh QB Zion Chritian Academy, according the the Columbia Daily Herald, 124 comp 251 att 1868 yards 13 TD. REAL good numbers for a kid in a very small school. Daniel is a junior and a three year starter for the Eagles.

you somehow forgot to mention with all those stats... he also has 17 interceptions...

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Daniel Pugh QB Zion Chritian Academy, according the the Columbia Daily Herald, 124 comp 251 att 1868 yards 13 TD. REAL good numbers for a kid in a very small school. Daniel is a junior and a three year starter for the Eagles.

you somehow forgot to mention with all those stats... he also has 17 interceptions...

A little further digging on those interceptions will find more half of were due to balls passing through receivers hands, off their head or chest and into the hands of the defense due to no fault of the QB. Besides if you pass the ball almost 300 times, 5 % of the time getting an interception can be expected.

Who in the world is Zion Christian Academy? Mr. All-American there has some crazy good numbers for a team I have never heard of before. And I know my sports, they must be really really small or not competitive in the postseason for me not to hear of them. I do know they did not make the playoffs last year though

Who in the world is Zion Christian Academy? Mr. All-American there has some crazy good numbers for a team I have never heard of before. And I know my sports, they must be really really small or not competitive in the postseason for me not to hear of them. I do know they did not make the playoffs last year though

Zion is a small private school between Mt Pleasant & Columbia that has 103 students. The school has been around for years but only have fielded a football team since 2003. Pugh kid is a great athlete and is pretty darn good QB. He has started for Zion since he was a freshman. They generally do not have a OL that can support the run so they stand him back in the shotgun and let him sling it.

Mtownballer, when you throw the ball between 40 & 50 times a game you will have interceptions.

True in some senses...but you got to understand, if you watch all the games, many of Josh's runs are from pass plays where he has pressure. He actually avoids MANY tackles to get to the open field. Not every big run, but many. Sometimes he rolls out and the DBs choose to cover heavy and Josh has room to run. But many times the front 7/8 get to Josh and Josh has to scramble and avoid tackles to get his yards...especially against Boyd, he earned all 90+ of those yards.

I am just arguing the point that Josh should be on the ballot. I'm not saying Josh is a better athlete, but definitely deserves recognition for being on the ballot. Will I argue if they chose a David Jones over Josh...no, because he definitely deserves it, he is a GREAT athlete. Should Josh be on the ballot, heck yeah!

I could'nt agree with you more.First of all I have watched a great deal of film on both players this year and before.To say it is easier to get rushing yards from QB position is not right.When you are a teAm like SP and defenses choose to key on Jones SP can beAt you several different ways you dont win state being one dimensional on the flip side defensing grace every coach coming in goal is to pin there ears back and get tO BLAKE.If they can contain Blake they have a very good chance of winning the game. David Jones is a great athlete both sides of the ball so is Josh Blake from both sides as well both are top worthy of the ballot. : My vote is for Josh Blake you just need to compare the stats. thumb:

A little further digging on those interceptions will find more half of were due to balls passing through receivers hands, off their head or chest and into the hands of the defense due to no fault of the QB. Besides if you pass the ball almost 300 times, 5 % of the time getting an interception can be expected.

I know it was raining and all but the 5 that MP intercepted weren't through the hands of the receiver, off the chest, etc... He just made bad passes. Also either Wayne Co or Collinwood had 5 picks so it seems that when they play someone with a decent defense he gets picked. So 10 out of 17 picks came against 2 teams, maybe he was off on these nights or maybe his receiving corp wasn't up to par, etc.. Could be he doesn't have much to work with offensively but one kid has over 700 yards receiving so they do have some talent. He should get some consideration this year and who knows maybe next year... he is only a Junior.

I could'nt agree with you more.First of all I have watched a great deal of film on both players this year and before.To say it is easier to get rushing yards from QB position is not right.When you are a teAm like SP and defenses choose to key on Jones SP can beAt you several different ways you dont win state being one dimensional on the flip side defensing grace every coach coming in goal is to pin there ears back and get tO BLAKE.If they can contain Blake they have a very good chance of winning the game. David Jones is a great athlete both sides of the ball so is Josh Blake from both sides as well both are top worthy of the ballot. : My vote is for Josh Blake you just need to compare the stats. thumb:

That is also a great point! Teams prepare against Grace by trying to contain him. They adjust their defense to make sure he is the one they stop. They have been heavily sending pressure on the outside to keep him in and yet he still has 850 yards rushing. He will probably pass a 1000 by the season's end. But when teams are zeroing in on one guy and he still gets the job done, that is worth recognition.

Last year Marco Dailey was Mr football in 1a and deservingly so. At the end of a 11 games last Marco stats were as follows

rushing 1961 yds td's 25 passing 700 yds 9 td's total yds 2661 total td's 34

Josh Blake stats last year after 11 games were

rushing 908 yds 11 td's passing 1810 yd's 25 td's total yds 2718 total td's 36 Josh also played defense almost every snap last year

and was our second leading tackler I believe Marco only played offense.

Blake was ahead of Marco after 11 games in total yds and in td's Marco averaged 10 yds a carry last year and at this point this year Josh is averaging 10.8 yd's a carry. Marco went on to play 3 more games and was named Mr football and as I said deservingly so. I make this point to say that Josh was leading the state in total yards and td's at the end of regular season last year and after the first round games of the playoffs. This year I believe Josh is l

leading the state again in total yds and td's after 8 games.

Joshua's stats are a little down from last year because he has not played in the second half very much in 5 or 6 of these games.

Some may question the caliber of competion that he has played against. Grace has played three 2a teams this year and they have to play the the number one defensive team in single A in South Pitt at the end of the year who may be in the top 5 in the state over all.

Josh was an Tenn coaches association allstate selection last year and an Chattnooga all preps selection last year as a defensive back.

David Jones and Josh Blake were the only two single A players selected on the TN Varsity.com top 75 players in the state on Rivals.