Franklin County vs Smith County

RebelHeart

SC could've packed it up and quit after the first 3 minutes of the game being down a "quick" 14 to 0. Their isn't a single player from SC that touched the ball last night that didn't need help getting out of bed this morning. I'll guarantee that. That was the hardest hitting I've seen at a Smith County game in a long long time.

No doubt, SC fought back and came within one point of tying the game before halftime. I felt bad about the loss but we knew Smith County would give us a great game and the two fumbles cost us the game by providing them with great field position to score.

Here is a copy of the post game press release that I sent out to the media outlets:

FRANKLIN COUNTY REBEL FOOTBALL PRESS RELEASE

Tonight the Franklin County Rebels lost to Smith County 35-28. FC Junior RB, Terrance Martin put on nothing less than a first class, Division I caliber performance, rushing for over 180 yards in a losing effort to the Owls. The Rebel offense moved the ball at will against the visiting Owls but could not keep Smith County out of the end-zone! We turned the ball over three times, two of which resulted in a reduced field and Smith County took advantage of those mistakes and turned it into points. The game was all tied up at 28 late into the game. We gave up a TD with just over 5 minutes left in the game. In the final 2.54 seconds, the Rebels took control of the ball and marched down inside the Owl's 5 yard line before coming up short on a 4th and short situation. The game literally came down to inches and we came up a few inches short!

The last few weeks has produced three of the most exciting football games in recent memory at Franklin County High School. It hurts to lose such close games, especially when you have such inspiring performances by Terrance Martin and Shaquille Shedd! Nevertheless; these young men played with everything they had, jumping over defenders with aerobatic skill; it was truly a sight to see!

Next week we host the Cumberland County Jets in our last regular season football game of the year. The Jets are in last place in our Region and are searching for a win to end their season on a high note. We are also searching for our third elusive win of the season so we can be in a better position to prepare for our first round back in the TSSAA playoffs in five years. I used to know an old football coach who liked to say: "It's not where you started from that counts, it's how you finish the race!" I think that old adage sums up my feelings about the 2008 Rebel football season.

The coaching staff has sought to develop a football program for the long haul and I have made a commitment to see this rebuilding project through to success. We knew this would be a challenging season and it has certainly been that and more... however, I am very happy about how hard these young student-athletes have worked. In these past few weeks they could have simply rolled over when faced with adversity and they did not allow that to happen. Earlier in the season that might have been the case but the Rebels continued to fight until the final whistle is blown and it is a testament to their courage and tenacity to leave it all on the gridiron in each of these contests!

Brighter days are ahead for the Rebels and we look forward to each week in anticipation of seeing what will happen down the road!

Please come out and support Rebel Football in our final home game, SENIOR NIGHT, at REBEL STADIUM. The senior Rebels will be recognized in a pre-game ceremony that should begin just after 6:30 PM. The Band, Cheerleaders, and Dance Team seniors will be recognized at halftime. Good luck to all our seniors as they enjoy their last career home football game at FRANKLIN COUNTY HIGH SCHOOL.

I know the Rebel faithful desperately wanted a win last night for Homecoming and we certainly felt like we should have won after putting 28 points on the board and accumulating over 380 yards of offense but it was not to be! Turnovers have plagued us throughout the season! We will regroup and prepare for the JETS... then see who we play in two weeks... possibly Siegel. Strange things can happen in the second season where everyone starts 0-0 with a fresh start...

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Smith County doesn't look like a 5A school. Ask Franklin County. They will tell you. I couldn't believe how BIG and FAST Franklin County was. Actually, I am not sure how it is possible for a team like SC to beat a team like FC. SC does have around 70 players, but I still don't understand.

I understand....

No doubt, SC fought back and came within one point of tying the game before halftime. I felt bad about the loss but we knew Smith County would give us a great game and the two fumbles cost us the game by providing them with great field position to score.

Here is a copy of the post game press release that I sent out to the media outlets:

[/b]

I know the Rebel faithful desperately wanted a win last night for Homecoming and we certainly felt like we should have won after putting 28 points on the board and accumulating over 380 yards of offense but it was not to be! Turnovers have plagued us throughout the season! We will regroup and prepare for the JETS... then see who we play in two weeks... possibly Siegel. Strange things can happen in the second season where everyone starts 0-0 with a fresh start...

Ela...the Rebels last made it to the playoffs in 05. Your press release said they had not been in 5 yrs. Mantooth took them there very year but one. Britton was unable to get them there in his two yrs. Get your facts straight.

Ela...the Rebels last made it to the playoffs in 05. Your press release said they had not been in 5 yrs. Mantooth took them there very year but one. Britton was unable to get them there in his two yrs. Get your facts straight.

Wingman- You are right. It was 2005 against Riverdale. Gate attendance has been way off this year. I guess we all know that winning seasons equal better gates. It seems lately I hear the same conservations I have heard for the past 2 years. Brings people and players down. Rebels seem to lose the game mentally before the scoreboard reflects it. Tough season for these seniors, but for the other guys hope you remember "tough times don't last, tough people do."-quote by Paul Bear Bryant

Wingman- You are right. It was 2005 against Riverdale. Gate attendance has been way off this year. I guess we all know that winning seasons equal better gates. It seems lately I hear the same conservations I have heard for the past 2 years. Brings people and players down. Rebels seem to lose the game mentally before the scoreboard reflects it. Tough season for these seniors, but for the other guys hope you remember "tough times don't last, tough people do."-quote by Paul Bear Bryant

ELA was justing posting that 5 yrs was the last time to promote himself. You will always have the same conversations over there. It is the same way at most places.

I read a biography of ELA on Wikipedia just a minute ago. Here it is.

Lee Atkins is the head football coach at Franklin County High School in Winchester, Tennessee. He was born in East Texas. He is a graduate of Middle Tennessee State University and has a Masters Degree in Education. Atkins is considered an expert by some in the spread offensive football scheme.

Coach Atkins has coached at several high schools across the southern states including 4-A Wakefield High School in Raleigh, North Carolina, 2-A South Lenoir High School in Deep Run, North Carolina; 4-A East Ridge High School in Chattanooga, Tennessee; 3-A Spring Hill High School in Columbia, Tennessee; 5-A Brentwood High School in Brentwood, Tennessee.

Atkins was one of seven finalists for the 2005 North Carolina Associated Press prep football coach-of-the-year award and was named All-Area prep football coach-of-the-year by the Kinston Free Press. Atkins was also a finalist for the East Central football conference 2A coach-of-the-year. Coach Atkins' South Lenoir Blue Devil football team won the Pigskin Classic Trophy and Freedom Cup Championship in 2005. Coach Atkins is the 2007 MPSA District 4-A Football coach-of-the-year.

Lee is married to Michelle Atkins and they have two boys, Captain Christopher D. Atkins, U.S. Army (Graduate of the United States Military Academy at West Point) and Jonathan M. Atkins (a graduate of the University of North Carolina at Greensboro).

Atkins follows in the footsteps of a coaching legend; his cousin, Texas Hall of Fame coach Watson (Watty) Myers. Coach Myers is one of the all-time coaching legends in Texas high school football (1945-1969) with a coaching record of 174-81-9. Atkins youngest son, Jonathan has served as his assistant at three different high schools in Tennessee and North Carolina and is the wide receivers coach at Franklin County High School. Coach Atkins' oldest son, Chris, recently returned from a tour of duty in Iraq and received the Bronze Star in May 2008.

I thought he coached at Celina too, but it doesn't say that in there.