Heritage at William Blount

tpoole12

It's time for the "Battle for the Bell"...

I remember the last time Heritage was at William Blount. It RAINED.... Hope we've got our soggy game behind us for the year.. We got "soaked" at Bradley...( Literally and figuritively").... /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yeah...

Maybe Govman will enlighten us with some history of the "Battle for the Bell".....

tpoole12

GO GOVS

Not exactly sure how long "The Battle for the Bell" has been going on. Seems like John Davis (former WB principal) was there when the idea was thought of. It hasn't been much of a battle--at least since 2001. As a matter of fact, I'm not even sure where the bell is??? I'm not sure it's been brought out of storage at WB in quite some time. I suppose this would be a good year to get it out. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

From 2001 to 2007, WB is 7-0 against the Mountaineers, having outscored them 261 - 41. The only close game in that stretch was '03, when the Governor's won 14 - 13.

My mind is fading as I get old. Not sure if it was the 03' game, or earlier, but one of the most memorable finishes ever for WB happened on Heritage's field when Brent Owens caught a pass (from Jon Young I believe) and went like 70 something yards in the final seconds of the game to capture the win for WB. Some old-time Heritage fans blame that loss on some coaching game management mistakes at the end. Can't remember it exactly--Scoot might--but seems like Heritage kicked a field goal at the end of game, when they would have probably been better off to go for a touchdown--even if they had not gotten in, WB would have had to go like 98 yards or something?? Somebody that remembers it better than me correct me if I'm wrong.

I have contended for the last several years--with absolutely no malice intended towards the fine Heritage folks--that WB has "risen" to a different level of recognition in 5A football. I still believe that is true, but this year--looks like we're in the same boat. This should be an exciting game to watch. Unfortunately, it will take a back seat in our area to a game going on across the county line in Loudon county between 2 Single A schools--Greenback vs Oneida.

Not exactly sure how long "The Battle for the Bell" has been going on. Seems like John Davis (former WB principal) was there when the idea was thought of. It hasn't been much of a battle--at least since 2001. As a matter of fact, I'm not even sure where the bell is??? I'm not sure it's been brought out of storage at WB in quite some time. I suppose this would be a good year to get it out. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

From 2001 to 2007, WB is 7-0 against the Mountaineers, having outscored them 261 - 41. The only close game in that stretch was '03, when the Governor's won 14 - 13.

My mind is fading as I get old. Not sure if it was the 03' game, or earlier, but one of the most memorable finishes ever for WB happened on Heritage's field when Brent Owens caught a pass (from Jon Young I believe) and went like 70 something yards in the final seconds of the game to capture the win for WB. Some old-time Heritage fans blame that loss on some coaching game management mistakes at the end. Can't remember it exactly--Scoot might--but seems like Heritage kicked a field goal at the end of game, when they would have probably been better off to go for a touchdown--even if they had not gotten in, WB would have had to go like 98 yards or something?? Somebody that remembers it better than me correct me if I'm wrong.

I have contended for the last several years--with absolutely no malice intended towards the fine Heritage folks--that WB has "risen" to a different level of recognition in 5A football. I still believe that is true, but this year--looks like we're in the same boat. This should be an exciting game to watch. Unfortunately, it will take a back seat in our area to a game going on across the county line in Loudon county between 2 Single A schools--Greenback vs Oneida.

WB and Heritage should be a good game with a lot of pride on the line for both teams. I agree with Govman...it will likely play 2nd fiddle to the Greenback game. I plan on attending Greenback on Friday since Maryville is playing Thursday. I have got to believe this game will continue the 2001-2007 streak and will be a much needed win for the Gov's program. Normally, I would probably cheer for Heritage in this one, but I really feel for the coaches, fan and mostly the players at WB. They have had more than their share of bad luck this season and have continued to fight hard all season. They have shown a lot of character this season and I believe their determination will make the team stronger next year. Go Govs...ooh...did I just say that?

After seeing how many Heritage players were hobbling around at the Mcminn game I am not sure they can beat the govs. This game means a lot to both teams Heritage has not won against the govs for a long time, so that should be their motivation.The govs want at least 1win for the year and keep the streak against Heritage going. I hope the Mountaineers come to play and come away with a much deserved win for them. I think Heritage wins 21 to 17.

Where's Scoot???

I bragged on him earlier for his loyalty and dedication and he hasn't even graced us with his presence.... /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> I'm sure he will join us soon. Thanks for the info Govman.......

Had I not witnessed what I saw friday night I would pick the Govs hands down... Seeing the way that one turned out I now honestly believe anything can happen on any night. Mistakes/Penalties and Turnovers can have more effect on an outcome than first downs, time of posession, rushing or passing yardage... Someone mentioned injuries earlier, my greatest hope is that both teams get out of this game with no further injuries.. WB has been snakebit in the injury department all year. We even had a trainer on crutches, with a knee brace for a while...

Some of the players from Heritage came thru the Raiders youth football program.. I served some time in that organization so I usually wish them well in their games, but for this game I'm sorry. I have to pull for the Govs..

tpoole12

GO GOVS

Iv picked the govs two weeks in a row and now i think third time is a charm. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> From what i have seen from both Hertiage and WB the govs are better but this should be a good game. Ill give the Govs the edge by 7+!

WB-21

Hertiage-14

Not exactly sure how long "The Battle for the Bell" has been going on. Seems like John Davis (former WB principal) was there when the idea was thought of. It hasn't been much of a battle--at least since 2001. As a matter of fact, I'm not even sure where the bell is??? I'm not sure it's been brought out of storage at WB in quite some time. I suppose this would be a good year to get it out.

Gov-Man if'un you 'uns cant find that bell...Maybee Brother Bailey frum Laural Bank wood lend tha one out of the steeple fer a little while......

Where's Scoot???

I bragged on him earlier for his loyalty and dedication and he hasn't even graced us with his presence.... /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> I'm sure he will join us soon. Thanks for the info Govman.......

Had I not witnessed what I saw friday night I would pick the Govs hands down... Seeing the way that one turned out I now honestly believe anything can happen on any night. Mistakes/Penalties and Turnovers can have more effect on an outcome than first downs, time of posession, rushing or passing yardage... Someone mentioned injuries earlier, my greatest hope is that both teams get out of this game with no further injuries.. WB has been snakebit in the injury department all year. We even had a trainer on crutches, with a knee brace for a while...

Some of the players from Heritage came thru the Raiders youth football program.. I served some time in that organization so I usually wish them well in their games, but for this game I'm sorry. I have to pull for the Govs..

tpoole12

GO GOVS

Yea, I'm here. The PC at home is on the fritz, so Monday mornings at work is where I get to catch up.

This game is so important to both programs. It should turn out to be a great game cause both teams play hard and with a lot of heart. The Mountaineers suffered several injuries Fridat at McMinn Co. Cody Garland first game back injured the same knee & is out for the WB game. Eric Costner is out again and Chris Jones reinjured his shoulder and I am not sure if he will play or not. As you all know they are key players for the Mountaineers. With these guys out it will be tough for the Mountaineers to plug those holes. We have several young kids that can play, but have not been on the field a whole lot. Expeirence is the key in a game like this one.

I hope the best for the Govs and an injury free game.