HERITAGE MOUNTAINEERS FOOTBALL

scoot91

I have heard that ALCOA classifies some of their student - athletes that cannot make the grade as " learning disable" so then they can still qualify to play under TSSAA rules. Is there any such rule?

Yes Alcoa has students in their system that have learning disabilities, I know this may be unfathomable to most of you as I am sure Heritage has no students that are learning disabled, I mean just look at how much better the county schools perform on standardized tests ( oh wait a second they underperform Alcoa at a significant rate). Yes Alcoa has students with learning disabilities on sports teams and even some who are special education students. What you may be misconstruing is Alcoa??™s policy on athlete eligibility, this a policy separate from the TSSAA??™s policy and states that if a student is failing one class (out of seven not four like at Heritage) they are ineligible to play in a sporting event until they raise the grade to a passing one. This rule is more demanding than the TSSAA rule that in my understanding declares a student ineligible if they do not pass six courses by the completion of the school year. That means under the TSSAA rule a player of a winter or spring sport at Alcoa could not be ineligible during that school year because all of Alcoa??™s courses are yearlong (they cannot fail until the end of the year). Similarly at Heritage can fail half of their courses the first semester, and actually earn an F and still be eligible for winter or spring sports under TSSAA policy. As for the learning disabled at Alcoa, if a student has an Individualized Education Program (IEP) which they are required to provide for students who have learning difficulties but do not qualify for special education as mandated in the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act of 1975. A student with an IEP may not have to meet Alcoa??™s policy to remain eligible to play but they do have to meet any requirements set forth by the TSSAA.

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes Alcoa has students in their system that have learning disabilities, I know this may be unfathomable to most of you as I am sure Heritage has no students that are learning disabled, I mean just look at how much better the county schools perform on standardized tests ( oh wait a second they underperform Alcoa at a significant rate). Yes Alcoa has students with learning disabilities on sports teams and even some who are special education students. What you may be misconstruing is Alcoa??™s policy on athlete eligibility, this a policy separate from the TSSAA??™s policy and states that if a student is failing one class (out of seven not four like at Heritage) they are ineligible to play in a sporting event until they raise the grade to a passing one. This rule is more demanding than the TSSAA rule that in my understanding declares a student ineligible if they do not pass six courses by the completion of the school year. That means under the TSSAA rule a player of a winter or spring sport at Alcoa could not be ineligible during that school year because all of Alcoa??™s courses are yearlong (they cannot fail until the end of the year). Similarly at Heritage can fail half of their courses the first semester, and actually earn an F and still be eligible for winter or spring sports under TSSAA policy. As for the learning disabled at Alcoa, if a student has an Individualized Education Program (IEP) which they are required to provide for students who have learning difficulties but do not qualify for special education as mandated in the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act of 1975. A student with an IEP may not have to meet Alcoa??™s policy to remain eligible to play but they do have to meet any requirements set forth by the TSSAA.

I'm not real sure why you are referring to Heritage in this post. No one from Heritage said anything about learning disabilities or anything of that nature. I do know that Heritage has some student athletes with learning disabilities and personaly I think its great that they get the chance just like the rest of the students. If thay can make the grade then there is no reason why they should not get to play. I hope it is the same in all of the area schools?

As for the way the clases are (Alcoa 7 and Heritage 4), Heritage is currently using the 4 block system and Alcoa is using the 7 period system, not sure what point you are trying to make? The teacher to student ratio is much lower at Alcoa, so I would expect better grades from them on standardized test. Most studies show that schools with a lower number of students tend to do better.

I'm not real sure why you are referring to Heritage in this post. No one from Heritage said anything about learning disabilities or anything of that nature. I do know that Heritage has some student athletes with learning disabilities and personaly I think its great that they get the chance just like the rest of the students. If thay can make the grade then there is no reason why they should not get to play. I hope it is the same in all of the area schools?

As for the way the clases are (Alcoa 7 and Heritage 4), Heritage is currently using the 4 block system and Alcoa is using the 7 period system, not sure what point you are trying to make? The teacher to student ratio is much lower at Alcoa, so I would expect better grades from them on standardized test. Most studies show that schools with a lower number of students tend to do better.

Why would I bring up heritage well this is board about heritage and someone on this board about heritage who I can only assume is a follower of the heritage program questioned Alcoa??™s academic integrity. I gave the best and fullest explanation to the situation that was in question and since this is a board read by mostly heritage followers I thought that would be the best school to compare to Alcoa. As for the class schedule the point I was making is students at heritage are required by the TSSAA to pass 6 of 8 classes and at Alcoa 6 of 7 the second is obviously more difficult, and a student at Alcoa takes 7 classes at one time and at heritage they take 4 at one time, seven is obviously more difficult. I used this to explain the differing eligibility requirements that were questioned by someone who I assumed to be a heritage fan. As for your student teacher ratio that is bogus Alcoa has about 25 students in every class and your comment that smaller schools perform better than large ones how do you explain why Maryville also significantly exceeds the county schools in education performance.

Why would I bring up heritage well this is board about heritage and someone on this board about heritage who I can only assume is a follower of the heritage program questioned Alcoa??™s academic integrity. I gave the best and fullest explanation to the situation that was in question and since this is a board read by mostly heritage followers I thought that would be the best school to compare to Alcoa. As for the class schedule the point I was making is students at heritage are required by the TSSAA to pass 6 of 8 classes and at Alcoa 6 of 7 the second is obviously more difficult, and a student at Alcoa takes 7 classes at one time and at heritage they take 4 at one time, seven is obviously more difficult. I used this to explain the differing eligibility requirements that were questioned by someone who I assumed to be a heritage fan. As for your student teacher ratio that is bogus Alcoa has about 25 students in every class and your comment that smaller schools perform better than large ones how do you explain why Maryville also significantly exceeds the county schools in education performance.

Don't think that guy is a Heritage follower. I have not seen him before on here. I don't have the numbers but Maryville does not exceed the county schools significantly in academics. I will agree to a slight advantage.....

NO I am not a HERITAGE supporter , I am somewhat new to this area of the country and have been in this specific area for only a few months. I meant nothing derogatory towards AHS, that is just one of the many things I have heard ( not everything I have learned is about AHS). I have a real love for football and just happen to believe that football at this level is the most pure form of the sport. I do post from time to time but I mainly just lurk. Thanks for the explanation.

I have heard that no one at Maryville is aware of Bradly Ladner. Hertiage boys would be best off staying at Heritage. Whoever takes the head coach position will have their work cut out for them. The attitude is deeply entrenched and it will take a winner/motivator coach to begin to reverse it.

That's what I have been saying for years. If all the kids stayed in the program then it might not be in the situation it's in.

I hate to get this thread back on track, but I talked to a HHS football parent the other night and he heard that there had been quite a few applicants. Any idea when the decision will be made?

Thanks for getting it back on track. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> I was told the decision will be made soon. To answer the other ? about the names, Mike Pearson, & John McBreyer have been the only two for sure names I have heard. I ask one of the assistants last night at the freshman basketball game if he had heard anything and he said that it hadnt been discussed with any of last years coaches, so he is in the dark also. I think Chip is doing the right thing and taken his time, trying to get the perfect fit for the program. I think we all will be surprised when the cat is let out of the bag. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Stanton Stevens is now available! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Seriously, these are the obstacles Heritage Football faces:

1. Poor attitude and work ethic on the part of athletes.

2. Parents who involve themselves beyond their roles in the program.

3. Poor support by many staff at the high school. ("So, how bad are you gonna get beat tonight?" actual quotes reported by athletes).

4. Excluding the practice and playing fields, athletic facilities are fair to poor. The weight room is pitiful and the locker rooms are terrible.

5. Failure to assemble a winning football staff.

There are more, but these stick out. Any coach who goes to Heritage will have to have the ability to assemble his staff. He will have to be able to run the program, including firing athletes who continuiously screw up off the field. He will have to be a disciplinarian whose authority is respected by players and parents. He has to be willing to break eggs. It is a thick fog of a losing mentality that has to be cleared. I'm just not sure anyone at HHS has the guts to be hard on the kids, pushing them to be more than they are.