MBA @ MUS

3yardsandacloudofdust

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't believe the hype. MUS is an overrated West TN team that has beat up on a weak schedule. I think that the underdog role serves them well.

I'm sorry for being sarcastic, but it was pretty hard to get on here and read people discounting MUS' schedule when I watched them beat Olive Branch.

The MUS posters have been very classy. I'm sure they're pleased to see you being the exception.

Tough game for the Big Red. You can't spot a good team like MUS 14 points, and you definitely can't turn it over 5 times. Either way, I certainly agree that MBA exceeded most people's expectations this year, and a 10-2 record is still quite an accomplishment. Congrats to Coach McGugin who is now 23-2 as a head coach.

Also, congrats to the Owls who appear to be every bit as good as advertised. I think I'm gonna have to go to MTSU to check this team out.

I didn't catch anything but the last 6 minutes...how did the turnovers happen?

I'm sorry if my post wasn't "classy." It wasn't my intention to disrespect MBA in anyway. MBA is the most successful team in the history of the division. I'm sorry of anything I said came across that way.

But what I do have a problem with is the fact that an undefeated, #1 ranked team in the Memphis area can't get any national respect. They can't even get any respect in the state going up to this game bc of a perceived weakness in their schedule. The problem I have with that is that I know MUS will play any team anywhere except for South Panola. I know the MBA fans have been courteous and said they didn't feel that way, and I appreciate that. I am not directing anything at such a fine football program.

But for the #1 team in Memphis to be ranked 50-100 spots below MBA in pretty much every single poll just bc they are from West TN is pretty ridiculous. I hope they proved some of that tonight.

Good game for the Owls. Speed, Speed, Speed.

With Brunetti, I felt like I was watching a video game with some of the plays that he made with his legs.

Congratulations, MUS.

1) While I'm shocked at the margin of victory, I am NOT shocked that MUS won this game.

2) I am also NOT shocked that MUS will be playing for the D-II State Title. I have expected this, ever since Week Zero.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good season, MBA.

I'm sorry if my post wasn't "classy." It wasn't my intention to disrespect MBA in anyway. MBA is the most successful team in the history of the division. I'm sorry of anything I said came across that way.

But what I do have a problem with is the fact that an undefeated, #1 ranked team in the Memphis area can't get any national respect. They can't even get any respect in the state going up to this game bc of a perceived weakness in their schedule. The problem I have with that is that I know MUS will play any team anywhere except for South Panola. I know the MBA fans have been courteous and said they didn't feel that way, and I appreciate that. I am not directing anything at such a fine football program.

But for the #1 team in Memphis to be ranked 50-100 spots below MBA in pretty much every single poll just bc they are from West TN is pretty ridiculous. I hope they proved some of that tonight.

I concur, 100%!

I think they are just mocking the comments of the MBA coach on a radio show this week.

What did the MBA coach say?

Congratulations to MUS on a great and decisive victory. MUS proved how good they are where it counts--on the field against top competition. As I have said earlier posts, I do not believe that they played a "tough" schedule. Apparently, this has riled some of the MUS faithful, but it is not meant to be disrespectful--just an analysis of previous opponents. It does not mean they were not a great team, it just meant it was hard to tell how good they were.

I picked them to win tonight despite their schedule, but never expected the blow-out that occurred.

MUS proved tonight that they are in a class by themselves. It was difficult for thise of us in the Mid-State to know how good they really were because they played so few teams with whom we are familiar.

Kudos to MUS and the MUS faithful.

What did the MBA coach say?

Let me first say that I did not hear the comments first hand. However, there was much talk that several Owl Alumni had called to say that they heard the coach on a Radio Show in the Nashville Area talking about the game. Apparently he made mention that MBA was a bigger and more physical team and that it was clear that they had played a much tougher schedule.

It may have not been a "we are going to destroy them" comment, but I heard that it was used as motivation.

I will say that I do not think that MBA was a bad team at all. This was the first time that I have seen them, but it was obvious that they were capable of more. They were bigger and had pretty good speed up front, but once MUS was able to get to the edge or to the second level, their speed won out.

I was surprised that MBA did not get #11 more involved in the offense after the second qtr because he was having some success. The LB (#23?) was a big kid. And I loved the hook and ladder that MBA executed flawlessly.

Obviously in florida, I've heard no radio shows. But McGugin's remarks have always been very respectful of opponents with no chance of winning against MBA. I can't imagine he would have made such a remark about an undefeated team. And while i think MBA did have a stronger schedule overall, I think Olive Branch was probably better than Moeller or Ensworth. In other words, the top end of the MUS schedule was better than the top end of the MBA schedule.

I didn't catch anything but the last 6 minutes...how did the turnovers happen?

From what I heard: It was a cool, windy and wet night. Skies opened up just before gametime and rained or drizzled the whole game.

2 fumbles (QB-center exchanges) deep in MBA territory in the 2nd qtr led to the 1st 2 MUS TDs.

Another fumble led to another TD.

MBA recovers an onside kick and throws an INT the next play.

MBA fumbles again near the end of the game after driving to the 20.

MBA could not run the ball at all--I think they had 35 yards rushing for the game.

MUS scored on a 75 yard run and on a 50+ yard pass. MBA stopped them in the 1st qtr but could not do anything to stop MUS in the 2nd half.