Centennial vs Brentwood

ambiguousrock

School population really has little to do with it. In 1995 when there was only Brentwood and Franklin Brentwood had 56 players including freshmen. Coaching, parental, and community support, along with a strong program make the difference.

That's wonderful, and it was also 1995. I didn't see either Franklin nor Brentwood winning championships back then, so I don't understand what in Jesus Christ's name your point is.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me help make the point a little simpler so those that don't understand might start to grasp what is being discussed.

To use the argument that "your school has more students than mine" as a rationale for losing to another school (unless we are talking a major discrepency), is a non-starter. Won't fly.

Centennial at this point has a many students as Brentwood did after Ravenwood was sliced out of it's zone. Brentwood (at the time and for four years was the smallest school in 5A) still went to the playoffs and advanced.

Franklin will ALWAYS be the largest school in the county. Indy and Ravenwood will be big- until they are sliced off.

If it were numbers only, BA should never have won anything. Dobyns-Bennett could punch their playoff ticket every year. McGavock's size does not translate into any more victories, either. Doesn't work that way.

Be it 1995 or before or since- it will always be the case.

It is about coaching. It is about experience. It is about expectations and tradition. It is about support. It is about scheme, conditioning, preparation, and will.

I have seen every game that Centennial has played Brentwood in football. What has always happened is that Brentwood knew it was going to find a way to win. Be it Van Horne's sack, be it Heimerdinger's catch, or be it Lifsey's kick-off return and Everson gutting his team down the field while Centennial celebrated taking the lead- it just happens the same way.

Chaz Scales is an exceptional player. They rely too much on him, which means to neutralize him is to neutralize the Cougars. It is pretty simple to see.

Good season Cougars.

Let me help make the point a little simpler so those that don't understand might start to grasp what is being discussed.

To use the argument that "your school has more students than mine" as a rationale for losing to another school (unless we are talking a major discrepency), is a non-starter. Won't fly.

Centennial at this point has a many students as Brentwood did after Ravenwood was sliced out of it's zone. Brentwood (at the time and for four years was the smallest school in 5A) still went to the playoffs and advanced.

Franklin will ALWAYS be the largest school in the county. Indy and Ravenwood will be big- until they are sliced off.

If it were numbers only, BA should never have won anything. Dobyns-Bennett could punch their playoff ticket every year. McGavock's size does not translate into any more victories, either. Doesn't work that way.

Be it 1995 or before or since- it will always be the case.

It is about coaching. It is about experience. It is about expectations and tradition. It is about support. It is about scheme, conditioning, preparation, and will.

I have seen every game that Centennial has played Brentwood in football. What has always happened is that Brentwood knew it was going to find a way to win. Be it Van Horne's sack, be it Heimerdinger's catch, or be it Lifsey's kick-off return and Everson gutting his team down the field while Centennial celebrated taking the lead- it just happens the same way.

Chaz Scales is an exceptional player. They rely too much on him, which means to neutralize him is to neutralize the Cougars. It is pretty simple to see.

Good season Cougars.

No one is claiming that schools size is the ONLY factor, and there is no doubt that the points you listed are very valid.

I think a very important stat to look at is how Centennial fared against Brentwood twice, and Franklin once, up until the 4th quarter.

Brentwood week 1- 7-7 going into the 4th

Franklin week 10 - 21-14 going into the 4th

Brentwood week 12 7-6 10 minutes left in the 4th.

Whether it be Coach Gregory draining numbers within the program (which I believe is a bigger factor) or simply school numbers, Centennial lacked depth to stay competitive in the end of games.

No one is claiming that schools size is the ONLY factor, and there is no doubt that the points you listed are very valid.

I think a very important stat to look at is how Centennial fared against Brentwood twice, and Franklin once, up until the 4th quarter.

Brentwood week 1- 7-7 going into the 4th

Franklin week 10 - 21-14 going into the 4th

Brentwood week 12 7-6 10 minutes left in the 4th.

Whether it be Coach Gregory draining numbers within the program (which I believe is a bigger factor) or simply school numbers, Centennial lacked depth to stay competitive in the end of games.

rock i disagree with the last comment, i think it had nothing to do with depth, but more as the other schools were a better team...

it didnt matter when you beat INDY, Gallatin, Ravenwood, or when you lost to Page - you know at the high school level there is hardly an mass subs like you see at the college level, and the better studs at the high school level go both ways....

rock i disagree with the last comment, i think it had nothing to do with depth, but more as the other schools were a better team...

it didnt matter when you beat INDY, Gallatin, Ravenwood, or when you lost to Page - you know at the high school level there is hardly an mass subs like you see at the college level, and the better studs at the high school level go both ways....

Oh, I think both Brentwood and Franklin are better teams, but numbers plus great coaching equals results.

I know, right? Why should we even talk about potential factors of a game after it's played? How silly we, the mundane, are.

Potential factors of the game? Student numbers have absolutely nothing to do with the outcome of that game. You all justs simply cant find a way to beat FHS/BHS so your students dont want to play. get over it

Potential factors of the game? Student numbers have absolutely nothing to do with the outcome of that game. You all justs simply cant find a way to beat FHS/BHS so your students dont want to play. get over it

Obviously, multiple participants in this thread have deemed the topic worthy enough to discuss, so how about you allow us to continue, and cease your diatribe?

Obviously, multiple participants in this thread have deemed the topic worthy enough to discuss, so how about you allow us to continue, and cease your diatribe?

Haha cute. If anyone is being bitter it is centennial fans coming up with every excuse as to why they lost this (and ever other game against franklin and Brentwood) instead of just realinzing you all are not that good.

Haha cute. If anyone is being bitter it is centennial fans coming up with every excuse as to why they lost this (and ever other game against franklin and Brentwood) instead of just realinzing you all are not that good.

We lost because both teams are better than we are. I've never stated otherwise. There are certainly factors to any win or loss, but I don't know of any Centennial fans that went into games against these teams and said "We're better than they are." If they did, they are foolish.