Z-Plan (All schools not created equal)

jacksoncounty

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys are missing the point. The point is that the Z-Plan was supposed to make 16 districts , not have some playing in districts and some in regions. The teams playing in a region have less flexiblity in scheduling. When building a program the playoffs are not the major concern. The major concern is having a chance to be successful and building off of that.

Seperate but equal just doesn't seem to fly, although it probably will because schools like Jackson County have no pull in football.

You guys are missing the point. The point is that the Z-Plan was supposed to make 16 districts , not have some playing in districts and some in regions. The teams playing in a region have less flexiblity in scheduling. When building a program the playoffs are not the major concern. The major concern is having a chance to be successful and building off of that.

Seperate but equal just doesn't seem to fly, although it probably will because schools like Jackson County have no pull in football.

You always have Girls Basketball!!! /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

While this will all be answered tomorrow, I can't wait to see it before I respond. The idea sounded like a decent idea when I heard about it, but the closer we get to it the less it looks like the plan I once supported. First off all creating 6A did was moved 5A up. Of the schools that used to be in our 3A region all but one moved up at least 1, most moved up 2 classifications. There used to be a rule that a school could not move up more then 1 classification in a reclassification period. Apparently that has been thrown right out the window. My biggest complaint is with schedules. Why is it a good idea to not play common schedules for playoff seedings. What I mean is the way I read it you will play games against local teams, cutting down on travel, and then for playoffs be grouped with teams that played their local games. So your completing for sports against teams that may played teams lower then you. I hope I am wrong on this, I guess we will see soon enough.

You will be playing schools your size and smaller. I think you can build off that.

Well here goes my 2 cents.

The entire classification process is a joke. All they did was create another layer of football playoffs. Instead of 5 classes, we have 6. What for? I don't know. It was thin with 5 classes, now with 6 it has watered down the entire process even more. Now we have 192 teams that will make the playoffs out of 310 or so schools eligible. As for the redistricting process, I think they just sit around pulling names out of a hat. There seems to be no rhyme or reason. We have been told one thing, but I'm sure when it comes out there will be something different. I wish the coaches and administrators would stand up and quit letting Ronnie Carter do as he pleases. It's time for a new direction for high school sports in the state of Tennessee.

There's a lot of misinformation and bad assumptions in this thread. All of this was for the most part known and expected as soon as this classification was voted in, months ago. Jackson Co. is not having their district combined with another, they are just in one of the largest districts in the state. Other schools have dealt with this issue for years, it happens. In fact, like Antwan said, it will likely be a better situation for Jackson Co.

Also, I believe only the top two overall teams in each district are automatic qualifiers, not the top two from each class. This is because some districts have less than 2 teams from one of the playoff classifications in them. After the top two from each district, all other playoff teams will be selected as wild cards.

Basically the difference from this year to next is that, in the playoffs, a new class that is smaller than the current class 1A is being formed with the others shifting up. For the regular season the classes are being combined into 3 larger classes so that region (now district) play will be less restricted by school size, allowing for less travel.

That is how I understand the plan anyway, I apologize for any inaccuracy. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

This whole Z plan is a bunch of crap. Why do you think they did this? MONEY! Does anyone think the quality of football will be better? I agree with jjwsiv, its watered down the way it is. Most first round games are blowouts. Teams that have losing records make the playoff. ??? In the 80's there was only two teams from your district that went to the playoffs. Every game was a battle. First,second,third round games where never easy. Tennessee should have no more than 4 Classifications. That's perfect for football and basketball. We do need a new direction in TN high school sports.

There's a lot of misinformation and bad assumptions in this thread. All of this was for the most part known and expected as soon as this classification was voted in, months ago. Jackson Co. is not having their district combined with another, they are just in one of the largest districts in the state. Other schools have dealt with this issue for years, it happens. In fact, like Antwan said, it will likely be a better situation for Jackson Co.

Also, I believe only the top two overall teams in each district are automatic qualifiers, not the top two from each class. This is because some districts have less than 2 teams from one of the playoff classifications in them. After the top two from each district, all other playoff teams will be selected as wild cards.

Basically the difference from this year to next is that, in the playoffs, a new class that is smaller than the current class 1A is being formed with the others shifting up. For the regular season the classes are being combined into 3 larger classes so that region (now district) play will be less restricted by school size, allowing for less travel.

That is how I understand the plan anyway, I apologize for any inaccuracy. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

It is not one of the largest districts. It is TWO Districts combined to make a Mega-Region. You need to check your facts again. The system was to have 16 Districts in 8 Regions. However some Districts are being combined within the Region. It would be fine if everybody in the state was dealt with in the same way. But to pick and choose who gets to play in a 6 team District while others play in a 9 team Region seems unfair. I was just raising the issue to get some discussion going. But you will see what I mean when it comes out. I hope I'm the one surprised.