All Time Top 5 Teams In Tennessee?

UPSGregg

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone please respond to this.  I can only name a couple myself and one wasn't even a state champion. I'm sure some of you could come up with some interesting lists and I'm real curious to see which teams get listed.  Feel free to list 10 if you can.  Brentwood Academy (1996) and Clarksville Northeast(1996) would definately be in my list as #1 and #2. I played against those two so at least I can sort of back it up.  Brentwood Academy was state champs that year in 5A even though their enrollment was only 309 students and that number included females!!!  They cracked the USA Today Top 25 and finished 15-0.  You might be wondering why I picked Clarksville Northeast.  Well they didn't win state nor even make it to the finals that year but they finished 12-1 and lost to Brentwood Academy in the quarter finals(at Brentwood Academy's field)and were the ONLY team besides MBA to even put up a fight against them that year and Northeast played their worst game of the year that night. They fumbled the ball like 6 times inside or near the red zone but played their usual amamzing defense holding BA to one TD.  Anyone that followed Tennessee High School football that year closely considered that the state title game. BA went on to cream Riverdale in the final that year.  Several coaches and reporters in the media that had been around high school games for years say Northeast was the fastest team top to bottom the state has ever had. Travis Stevens(you might remember his performance for the Vols against the Gators) was a junior at Northeast that year and rushed for over 2500 yards and two other backs had 1000 yard seasons.  Northeast only passed the ball about 7 times for the whole season!! BA was just an all around cluster of tallent. Everyone feel free to state their opinion on those two teams or just list your own all time best teams of Tennessee.

127913[/snapback]

WHAT ABOUT THE 71' AND 72' TENNESSEE HIGH VIKINGS

825304955[/snapback]

I didn't get to see them play, but the scores they put up in back to back state championship games were terrifying-- they were playing in the largest classification at the time and they won consecutive state title games by 52-0 in '71 and 39-14 in '72--- they must have been great.

During the 1988 season the Dickson County Cougars put up a perfect 15-0 record. They followd that season with 10 regular season wins going into the playoffs in 1989. They accumulated a twenty nine game winning streak over the two seasons before losing to Gallatin in the semi-finals. That game went to three overtimes. Evidence to prove that they belong on this post is easy; the proof lied in the backfield. They implemented the "smokestack" offense that year and found it to be extremely successful. At fullback they had Chris Huddleston who had over 1600 yards in 1988. Behind him was a better than average player named Jeff Vaughn who went on to win Mr. Football in 1988. He had over 1900 yards that season giving Dickson over 3500 yards rushing from the two backs. Accompany that with a tremendous defense that didn't give up more than 10 points all year and you have a solid, physical football team. Vaughn has to go down as one of the greatest backs in the history of Tennessee football. He was in the process of signing with Alabama before he got into trouble and ruined his chances. Although many of you may not remember this team there are many who do. The year they won state (1988) they had a tough road to travel to win it. In the quarter finals they played an unbelieveable Whites Creek team that had Vandy standout Shelton Quarrels, also a future NFL player. The next week they played Hendersonville and they had Dwayne Dotson who was an unreal linebacker and running back. That game was tremendous. Over 14,000 people packed into Dickson's stadium. In the opening round of the playoffs that year they traveled to Bolivar and carried over 8,000 fans with them. I know it sounds exaggerated but the people of that era will validate the claim. By the way, they gave up 17 total points in the playoffs that season. I know that these recent teams are very talented and deep, but the physical presense that Dickson brought during that stretch was unstoppable.

Anyways, here is the top 5 in my meager opinion:

1. 1988 Dickson County- absolutely unstoppable; literally punished opponents

2. 1995 Brentwood Academy- great athletes with great depth and great coaching.

3. 1992 Stratford- four backs over a thousand yards

4. 1991 Brentwood Academy- if this is the year with Speedy at QB and Henry at TB

5. 1999 MBA- Most sound and disciplined team ever

Edited by smokey16

TOO SIMPLY Guys didn't read the other 10 pages some good fb teams mentioned for the 90's.

Tn High (Bristol) 1971 & 1972 destroyed every opponent they played in the playoffs. the game i remember was against Knox Central at Neyland Stadium. if memory serves correct 68-0. National High School Champions. if there is another in TN history i would like to know.

TOO SIMPLY Guys didn't read the other 10 pages some good fb teams mentioned for the 90's.

Tn High (Bristol) 1971 & 1972 destroyed every opponent they played in the playoffs. the game i remember was against Knox Central at Neyland Stadium. if memory serves correct 68-0. National High School Champions. if there is another in TN history i would like to know.

Tn High (Bristol) 1971 & 1972 destroyed every opponent they played in the playoffs. the game i remember was against Knox Central at Neyland Stadium. if memory serves correct 68-0.  National High School Champions. if there is another in TN history i would like to know.

825322215[/snapback]

Oak Ridge won a mythical national title in 1958.

Baylor won a mythical national title in 1973.