All Time Top 5 Teams In Tennessee?

UPSGregg

i have seen all this stuff about all these D1 signees, but i havent seen anything about NFL guys. Alcoa's 1989 15-0 state championship team had two NFL starters, with one playing in the super bowl with the Chargers.

Shannon Mitchell(Chargers)

Billy Williams(Cowboys)

Right about Mitchell ... wrong about Williams.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's another great team from a different era:

MBA (1925)

MBA 39 Wallace 0

MBA 26 Columbia Military Acad. 0

MBA 103 Castle Heights Military Acad. 0

MBA 58 McCallie 0

MBA 91 Paducah Tilghman (KY) 0

MBA 87 Portland 0

MBA 33 Hume Fogg 0

MBA 40 Central 0

MBA 89 Knoxville High 0

Affectionately known as the point a minute team for scoring at least one point for every minute of play.

Now that is impressive!!

Best teams I've seen

BA 1995-1996 absolutely loaded everywhere

Riverdale 1994-1996 This is the Gerald Griffin, Fernando Bryant, Antron Peebles, Alvin Duke, David Coppens years into the Eric Locke years. Riverdale was just playing faster than everybody else was.

Pearl-Cohn 1996-1997Whatever switch Maurice Fitzgerald hit midway through the 1996 season............it was the right one. With John Henderson, Reggie Ridley, Carlos Watkins being the first three guys off the bus..........they were huge and intimidating. Buck Fitzgerald and Santonio Beard were huge in the development of their back to back run.

MBA 1999 Ingle Martin was the man, plain and simple, and when you added Moses, Dominique, and Barton Simmons to it, they were tough. I don't think they were near as talented as the other three teams I listed, but there is no doubt they could compete with any of them.

Best teams I've seen

Pearl-Cohn 1996-1997Whatever switch Maurice Fitzgerald hit midway through the 1996 season............it was the right one. With John Henderson, Reggie Ridley, Carlos Watkins being the first three guys off the bus..........they were huge and intimidating. Buck Fitzgerald and Santonio Beard were huge in the development of their back to back run.

The switch was named Craig Gilliam, brother of "Jefferson Street" Joe, and one of the greateset defensive minds I have seen.

Note: Yes these teams had John Henderson and co., but no one mentions the best defensive player on that team in LB Kenneth Gates. That whole defense started and stopped w/ Gates. Yes, "Big John" got all the props, but Gates was the catalyst.

Best teams I've seen

The switch was named Craig Gilliam, brother of "Jefferson Street" Joe, and one of the greateset defensive minds I have seen.

Note: Yes these teams had John Henderson and co., but no one mentions the best defensive player on that team in LB Kenneth Gates. That whole defense started and stopped w/ Gates. Yes, "Big John" got all the props, but Gates was the catalyst.

I agree with you about Kenneth Gates. I remember the shot he put on David Sweetland. Gates was a great linebacker.

• 3 weeks later...
Best teams I've seen

BA 1995-1996 absolutely loaded everywhere

Riverdale 1994-1996 This is the Gerald Griffin, Fernando Bryant, Antron Peebles, Alvin Duke, David Coppens years into the Eric Locke years. Riverdale was just playing faster than everybody else was.

Pearl-Cohn 1996-1997Whatever switch Maurice Fitzgerald hit Midway through the 1996 season............it was the right one. With John Henderson, Reggie Ridley, Carlos Watkins being the first three guys off the bus..........they were huge and intimidating. Buck Fitzgerald and Santonio Beard were huge in the development of their back to back run.

MBA 1999 Ingle Martin was the man, plain and simple, and when you added Moses, Dominique, and Barton Simmons to it, they were tough. I don't think they were near as talented as the other three teams I listed, but there is no doubt they could compete with any of them.

Pearl Cohn almost lost it to mus that year

With all due respect to hcpbomber, nobody blocked John Henderson in high school unless they caught him asleep. He was the most incredible physical specimen I've seen in high school football ever.

And with respect to an awesome Trousdale County team: They would have lost to either Pearl-Cohn or Maryville by 4 touchdowns in '97.

Oh, and for the fifth team that I forgot above, take your pick from among the many great Brentwood Academy teams, one of the three straight state champion Cleveland teams, or surely one of the Riverdale teams.

SchoolID=397&SportID=1]Pearl Cohn[/url] almost lost it to mus that year

Yes, they did. If you ask me, MUS should have won that game. PC just dug down, and gave the ball to a sophmore running back named Santonio Beard, who singlehandedly drove the ball down their throats. The rest, as they say is history. Also, to Clemson, that '98 Maryville team was not that great. The only reason they won the state was because PC was upset by Whites Creek in the quarterfinals.

Edited by nununu