All Time Top 5 Teams In Tennessee?

UPSGregg

The 1998 Vols only won it all thanks to an interference call at Syracuse, an errant kick by Gator PK Collins Cooper, and Clint Stoerner's fumble. BA got a similar stroke of luck!

I always wonder what would have happened if the Vols hadn't have made the field goal at the end against Syracuse? And what would have happend if they hadnt drove 50 yards to win the game against Arkansas? And what would have happened if they hadn't had the better place kicker against Florida? Would all those supposedly lucky plays such as the Stoerner fumble or the interference call at Syracuse still been called luck? Would anyone have said "oh Tennessee was so unlucky." Remember luck isn't something that wins games. Its the ability to take advantage of it and thats scoring touchdowns or field goals. I don't remember what coach I heard say it but this is the best sescription of luck I've ever heard....

The opponent's game winning field getting flowndered by a strike of lightning = LUCK

Converting the opponent's mistakes into TDs = Teamwork

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted by BAJ16:

lets me real ba would beat anyone that ever stepped on the field with them. that 1999 mba team has nothing on either of these teams especially 95.

Another highly educated private schooler, proving the inferiority of the public school system. LOL!

Sorry just had to poke fun... no harm no foul.. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest VOLCOWBOY

Top 5 in Tennessee you say? Well the 1993 Linclon County Falcons should be mentioned. They had Mr. Football, David Grogan and LB's Chad Henderson(1994 Mr. Football and #1 defensive prospect in nation) and Carlos Hadley. This is a team that was never behind the entire season en route to a 14-0 State Championship. They beat a very good Stratford team that boasted the top RB in the state twice, and Riverdale (nationally ranked at that time). The 1990 L.C. Falcons squad (15-0 Champs) was one the most explosive teams L.C. ever put out. With players like Kelly Holcomb (who just threw for well over 300 yards and 3 TDs against the NFL's Chiefs Sunday), Rod Buchanan, and Chad Harrison that squad should receive mention. But you should also think about the last 8 Riverdale squads as well. Nothing but TALENT. 99's MBA team was dangerous as well.

15-0..... AAAAA Champions...... outscored opponents 620-58 in 15 games.........scored ten touchdowns on defense which equals 60 points which outscored the opposing teams' offenses.......secondary consisted of Alvin Duke (VU), Gerald Griffin (UTK), and Fernando Bryant (UA and NFL).....LB's Antron Peebles (UT), Larry Floyd (TSU), and Corey Carney (Samford).......beat all the big boys in the playoffs - Baylor, Science Hill, Dobyns-Bennett, Oak Ridge, and Germantown.

Guest corsoisaloser

MBA's team in 1999 could be the best team Middle Tennessee has ever produced. Many of the players from that team currently play on the college level, such as: Ingle Martin(Florida), Dominique Morris (Vanderbilt), Mosses Osemwedgie (Vanderbilt), Tate Rich (Yale), Jonas Rodriguez (Yale) and Barton Simmons (Yale). The team became nationally recognized after beating Jacksonville Bolles in one of the best high school games ever. They beat every team in D-II without a problem and handled 5A schools Oakland, and Lincoln County. BA has never produced a team that good, except maybe in 1996.

Guest ChiefSmackahoe
I count ten. The three you mentioned plus Sean Holland (GA Southern), Tate Rich (Yale), Jonas Rodriguez (Yale), Barton Simmons (Yale), Matt Neal (Sewanee), James Pittman (Rice), and Hulsey Smith (SMU). If anyone off of the 2001 team is playing football this year, that would add to the count - I don't know of any, however. jmjm could be a little more diplomatic in his posts, regardless of what the actual number is. Also, MBA's final ranking in USA Today that year was #16 - they were not in the Top 10. The USA Today website confirms this, jmjm.

Well, thats great ab all those MBA players, but how many of those teams made it to bowl games in the past 4 years?

Posted by jmjm:

You are all wrong. NE beat MBA by two points in '96 with MBA's best player not even playing in the game. That year MBA lost to BA in the quarters in 3 OT's. BA didn't play NE in 1996. They played in 1995 and BA beat NE in the quarters. BA then beat MBA in the semis in 1995 with MBA being up 10-7 going into the 4th quarter. Gets your facts straight.

whos to say that that one player wouldve or couldve made a difference in that one particular game? just because u may be the best person on the team, which i dont think is possible becuase without the help of the o-line a running back cant get anywhere even if he is the fastest person in the state, or the quarterback wouldnt be able to throw the ball beccause he would have 8 or 9 guys breathing down his neck. So all of these excuses people make about they lost because their best player wasnt there is all wrong. Football is a team sport that cannot be played without ten other guys around you.

• 2 weeks later...

Let's not forget about the old Pearl Cohn teams in 97-98 back to back state champions. They were lead by John Henderson(Jacksonville Jaguars) and Santonio Beard(Alabama). They had a host of talent and creamed Maryville both years to get them. Aslo the Pearl High teams in the early 80's. Most of you guys were not even born yet.