All Time Top 5 Teams In Tennessee?

UPSGregg

jmjm, don't forget the final score between BA-MBA in 1995...BA 35, MBA 10. MBA may have been up 10-7 in the 4th, but in that case BA would have had to score 28 4th-Quarter points, so I doubt the validity of that statement. My all-time best? BA 1995 (6th in USA Today), BA 1996 (3rd in USA Today). Those guys were amazing, and between QB Lance Phillips (MTSU), HB Kurston Biggers (UT), HB Hunter Atkins (Auburn, track), OL Josh Willoughby (MTSU), WR-K Bo Clift (Army), and LB Austin Kemp (UT), they were untouchable, except for the 1995 Northeast game in the state Quarters, and the 1996 2OT MBA Quarterfinal game. I would agree with the previous assessment of Northeast as well...I was at that Quarterfinal game...it was UNREAL (7-3 BA, they scored with no time left in the 1st half). As for Northeast playing their worst game of the year, I can tell you why...BA was pretty darn good. So anyway, you now have my opinion.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted by WesVols:

jmjm, don't forget the final score between BA-MBA in 1995...BA 35, MBA 10. MBA may have been up 10-7 in the 4th, but in that case BA would have had to score 28 4th-Quarter points, so I doubt the validity of that statement. My all-time best? BA 1995 (6th in USA Today), BA 1996 (3rd in USA Today). Those guys were amazing, and between QB Lance Phillips (MTSU), HB Kurston Biggers (UT), HB Hunter Atkins (Auburn, track), OL Josh Willoughby (MTSU), WR-K Bo Clift (Army), and LB Austin Kemp (UT), they were untouchable, except for the 1995 Northeast game in the state Quarters, and the 1996 2OT MBA Quarterfinal game. I would agree with the previous assessment of Northeast as well...I was at that Quarterfinal game...it was UNREAL (7-3 BA, they scored with no time left in the 1st half). As for Northeast playing their worst game of the year, I can tell you why...BA was pretty darn good. So anyway, you now have my opinion.

I was at the 1995 game. If memory serves, MBA was up 10-7 midway through the third, but I think BA had at least a 14-10 lead at the end of the third, if not 21-10. I thought the 1995 BA team was better than the 1996 BA team, although both were very good. WesVols, you forgot to mention Richard Land on the 1995 team. He was an OL that signed with Texas I believe, although I don't recall how he did for the Longhorns.

Also, if memory serves, BA's TD at the end of the half versus Clarksville NE was aided by a questionable interference call on NE right before the TD play. I didn't see the game, but I have heard fans from both sides say it should not have been called and the half should have ended 3-0 NE. Nevertheless, those are the breaks.

[Edited by rollredroll on 8-21-02 11:45A]

[Edited by rollredroll on 8-21-02 11:46A]

The Austin-East teams with Leroy Thompson and company were as good as anybody. Jeff County in 87 was the best team from a group that lost two games in three years. They were undefeated (nobody even close) and destroyed Gallatin in the state championship game. That team featured Todd Collins (long NFL career) and Taylor Quarles (great career at Furman). Would have beated any of the private school boys.

The 95 BGA team was good, but not one of the top 5 in the state...thats very absurd. The year after fleming left, BGA went 0-10, he was the whole team, and actually the year they won (3 or 4 years ago) they still struggled. BCS should have beaten them at state, and ECS was close at the semis. The West Region of D2-AA is better, even if it doesnt have as many state titles. Don't ever compare that BGA team to the others, I know...I played against them.

BA's 95 and 96 squads were obviously outstanding, but no one has mentioned yet the name of the late Tito Lee. An outstanding fullback and linebacker, with lightning quick feet and punishing tackling ability. He was the total package. Paved blocks for Biggers, Caught passes from Phillips and Kent, pounded his own yardage and destroyed ball carriers from his LB spot. Lee was a complete football player, and one of the more underrated in the last decade i think. But more than anything, Tito Lee was a beautiful human being. Anyone who knew him can attest and we're all grateful he's in a better place now.

I am sorry. I am old and senile. I meant BGA 1966. A bunch of guys no one ever heard of like George Silvey and Steve Robinson. For their day, they were dominating.

As for Troy Fleming, he was awesome for a Class 1A back both on offense and defense.

Edited by Bighurt

Northeast was my rival school. I have friends that were on that team. The BA touchdown came on a free play with no time left on the clock in the first half after a BS interference call. Supposedly the conerback defendind one of the two plays was a back up. The fact is that NE fumbled their chances away and were only in the game because of a lightning fast defense. Northeast any other week that season probably could have put a couple of TDs up on BA. BA struggled against MBA two games later. A team Northeast man handled 41-7 or 41-14 earlier that season. This is why I say if BA is one of the best teams ever than Northeast is definately right behind them. They are definately the quickest team all around ever. For example...their nose guard was all-state that year at only 5'4" and weight 145. He was lightning quick and cause more problems at the line of scrimmage. The whole team had guys like that. Even the big linemen were fast. I think Riverdale could place a team or two in the top 10 of all time.

Posted by UPSGregg:

Northeast was my rival school. I have friends that were on that team. The BA touchdown came on a free play with no time left on the clock in the first half after a BS interference call. Supposedly the conerback defendind one of the two plays was a back up. The fact is that NE fumbled their chances away and were only in the game because of a lightning fast defense. Northeast any other week that season probably could have put a couple of TDs up on BA. BA struggled against MBA two games later. A team Northeast man handled 41-7 or 41-14 earlier that season. This is why I say if BA is one of the best teams ever than Northeast is definately right behind them. They are definately the quickest team all around ever. For example...their nose guard was all-state that year at only 5'4" and weight 145. He was lightning quick and cause more problems at the line of scrimmage. The whole team had guys like that. Even the big linemen were fast. I think Riverdale could place a team or two in the top 10 of all time.

UPSGregg, those Clarksville NE teams in 1995 and 1996 were good (the 1995 team more so). I saw them play and beat MBA both years (and am still a little bitter about it because I went to both games with a couple of friends from NE who rubbed it in unmercifully both years, even after I kept my mouth shut after MBA was stomping NE in 1993 and 1994!). However, even though NE played BA close in 1995 (that was the controversial 7-3 game won by BA, the same year in which NE beat MBA 41-14 in the regular season and BA beat MBA 35-10 in the playoffs), I would have a difficult time putting the 1995 NE team in the Top 5 of all-time great Tennessee teams. To be a Top 5 team, that team has to be good top to bottom, and although NE did indeed have a quick defense, you take Stephens and the other back (I think his name was something like Tim Terry) out of the picture, and that NE team may be a game below or above .500. Of course, a couple of great individuals CAN make for a great team, but the truly great teams have other individuals who can step it up and help their teammates overcome things like fumbles (let's give BA some credit for forcing those fumbles, too, even if we think the interference call was bunk). I'm just not sure NE had that quality in 1995. But hey, NE was very good, and if they get past BA in that playoff game, who knows what would have happened.

I think the value that Stephens alone added to that program is evident in what NE has done since he graduated: 11-39 in five years, including two winless seasons, and no playoff appearances. If memory serves, NE wasn't that great before he got there either (at least that's what my buddies told me).

You're right, NE hasnt been all that great in Football. When Travis Stephens got there and I have to give the Coach credit.Travis more so because that was his life playing football and winning. He made everyone around him better.That particular year they were loaded, they had skill at every position led by a young Travis Stephens, Tim Terry, Terrence Ellis. They gave BA all they could handle and thats good considering Brentwood Academys rep. So I agree that BA might be the all time best in TN in 95 with Clarksville Northeast a close second..University School of Jackson has had some great teams, that team in 99 was really good. BGA in 99 was good led by Troy Flemin. The 99 MBA team was really good. Clarksville Academy had a good team in 99. They got creamed in the 99 state championship game. But hands down it would prolly be 1.BA, 2.Clarksville NE, 3. MBA, 4. BGA, and the fifth is undecided. Good games played back in 95-96.