All Time Top 5 Teams In Tennessee?

UPSGregg

Clarksville is an "ok area but nothing spectaculer" I can remember Clarksville being voted the best place to live in Tennessee a few years back and in the top 50 in the nation. There are some bad areas of town like any other decent sized town in the world but for the most part Clarksville is pretty nice over all. Not too many upidy people and not too many dirt poor. There are some of each but not allot. They all go to school together and play football on the same teams and its nice to have a variety of athletes in any sport I think.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Conseriding the type houses and area of the city of Clarksville..Most of the upper class go to Clarksville high, now that Rossview has been built they'll get some of those kids.For a city like Clarksville most of the rich kids go their if they dont opt for Private school..No one said that it was like Brentwood or Germantown but the rich kids that dont go to Clarksville Academy they go to Clarksville High..Of course theres no comparison with those other cities Clarksville hasnt moved up that much.

The Wrestling,Golf, and Boys Soccer is the best thing along with maybe basketball that Clarksville high can offer but as far as getting the best of their players Coach Donahue (Boys soccer) and Coach Jordan (Ex ChS wrestling coach) got the best out of their kids. But at least Ateca has finally got the job done, it took a while but I think he has built a solid foundation there and keeping the tradition alive because at one time before the rough times during the 90's Clarksville High use to have a good program.

Obviously, you were not around football in the early to late 1980's. Of course, we all want to think our own era was the best, but when 20 years go by, memory fades on these teams. If you ask Carlton Flatt, I am sure he would tell you the same about the 1980's teams. The Brentwood Academy teams of the 80's had better atheletes than the teams of the 1990's and 2000's(believe it or not). I know because I was there. All-American QB's Kent Austin(Ole Miss),Tim Jones(Kentucky), as well as Mike MacIntyre(Vanderbilt), Jeff Brothers(Vandy), John Snow(Yale) were highly touted by many Division 1-A schools. Bubba Miller(Tennessee and Philadelphia Eagles), Jeremy Spivey(Tennessee), Jason Patrick(Texas All-American Decathlete), Jimmy Hockaday(Georgia and one of the top high school recievers to ever play in the US),Gregg Johnson(Penn State), Robin Perry(Tennessee)....and the list goes much deeper. I could go on and on. When I was there in the early 1980's, we went 52-2 with 3 State Championships. My brother's teams in the late 1980's duplicated this record. Brentwood was USA Today rated in the top 10-15 consistently back then. At one time 1983, it held the nation's longest winning streak. The talent was unreal. It was nothing to see Bear Bryant, Johnny Majors or whoever come to our school to access talent. Carlton Flatt is the "real deal". He is very hard nosed, but gets 110% from his players. If you check, many of his players go on to do great things. Yes, he would bust your tail on a daily basis, but when you matured as a man, you realized that he really cared about his players. This man is one of a kind, he was very hard on me individually, but I appreciate and respect him. He is a quality man. I am happy and proud to say I played for him.

Posted by TnBball:

You're right, NE hasnt been all that great in Football. When Travis Stephens got there and I have to give the Coach credit.Travis more so because that was his life playing football and winning. He made everyone around him better.That particular year they were loaded, they had skill at every position led by a young Travis Stephens, Tim Terry, Terrence Ellis. They gave BA all they could handle and thats good considering Brentwood Academys rep. So I agree that BA might be the all time best in TN in 95 with Clarksville Northeast a close second..University School of Jackson has had some great teams, that team in 99 was really good. BGA in 99 was good led by Troy Flemin. The 99 MBA team was really good. Clarksville Academy had a good team in 99. They got creamed in the 99 state championship game. But hands down it would prolly be 1.BA, 2.Clarksville NE, 3. MBA, 4. BGA, and the fifth is undecided. Good games played back in 95-96.

I agree...The Austin East Team of 1986 had amazing atheletes. I saw the state Championship against Brentwood Academy. Even though BA pulled an amazing second half comeback, AE held them at the 1 yard line to win the game. AE had some Sunday Players! Leroy Thompson (Penn State), Von Reeves(UT). Another good team from the East was the Alcoa team of 1989. Billy Williams(UT), a great QB(Rusty....), Shannon Mitchell(Georgia). Great talent!

Posted by smalltown:

The Austin-East teams with Leroy Thompson and company were as good as anybody. Jeff County in 87 was the best team from a group that lost two games in three years. They were undefeated (nobody even close) and destroyed Gallatin in the state championship game. That team featured Todd Collins (long NFL career) and Taylor Quarles (great career at Furman). Would have beated any of the private school boys.

Rollredroll, you are exactly right...the touchdown was literally with 0:00 on the clock...it was an added play thanks to an interference call (I was not in a good position to know if it was legit or not). But yeah, like you said, such are the breaks! The 1998 Vols only won it all thanks to an interference call at Syracuse, an errant kick by Gator PK Collins Cooper, and Clint Stoerner's fumble. BA got a similar stroke of luck!

Posted by boneal52:

BA's 95 and 96 squads were obviously outstanding, but no one has mentioned yet the name of the late Tito Lee. An outstanding fullback and linebacker, with lightning quick feet and punishing tackling ability. He was the total package. Paved blocks for Biggers, Caught passes from Phillips and Kent, pounded his own yardage and destroyed ball carriers from his LB spot. Lee was a complete football player, and one of the more underrated in the last decade i think. But more than anything, Tito Lee was a beautiful human being. Anyone who knew him can attest and we're all grateful he's in a better place now.

Boneal, amen to that...I could not agree more. Lee was one of BA's better players, and definitely one of the Southeast's best. He had so much potential, but an even greater spirit. What a tragedy.

Posted by TheFlame:

Austin-East 1985 or 86. they played with BA in the Final 28-0 @ the half. All though BA made it interesting in the second half to make it close.

Interesting is right...BA came back, but fumbled the ball inside the A-E 5 yard line late in the 4th and lost by less than a touchdown.

Posted by Brandon100:

I agree...The Austin East Team of 1986 had amazing atheletes. I saw the state Championship against Brentwood Academy. Even though BA pulled an amazing second half comeback, AE held them at the 1 yard line to win the game. AE had some Sunday Players! Leroy Thompson (Penn State), Von Reeves(UT). Another good team from the East was the Alcoa team of 1989. Billy Williams(UT), a great QB(Rusty....), Shannon Mitchell(Georgia). Great talent! on the 89 alcoa team kevin jackson was the qb. you are talking about rusty chambers.

Posted by smalltown:

The Austin-East teams with Leroy Thompson and company were as good as anybody. Jeff County in 87 was the best team from a group that lost two games in three years. They were undefeated (nobody even close) and destroyed Gallatin in the state championship game. That team featured Todd Collins (long NFL career) and Taylor Quarles (great career at Furman). Would have beated any of the private school boys.