All Time Top 5 Teams In Tennessee?

UPSGregg

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a link for national high school champions, with Bristol (1972) and Baylor (1973) mentioned. I also seem to recall that Oak Ridge won some sort of service's national championship in 1958.

Not to nitpik but no one really "wins" these national championships. They are usually voted on, acknowledged, etc. I guess that's what makes for good discussions about who the "national champion" is.

Not to nitpik but no one really "wins" these national championships. They are usually voted on, acknowledged, etc. I guess that's what makes for good discussions about who the "national champion" is.

Not to nitpick, but I think it is very well understood that high schools do not participate in national championship games and that titles are mythical. I posted the link for informational purposes only.

Edited by rollredroll

In 3-A, the 2002 Anderson County Mavericks were the best team. Lee Risden, Kenny Patterson, and Jason Sanders all rotating at running backs all year long with Frank Phillips and Matt Price at recievers and 2002 Mr. Football, quarterback Justin Price-combining to make an unstobbable offense. Not to mention the outstanding line they had. Unfortunately they didnt win state that year, although they should have. But i watched that team make phenominal plays and come back from big defecits over and over. That team definately had the most talent that year. Like i said, they should have won state......just like the past two years. Coach Kerr is the only man i know that can blow 3 state championships in a row.

The Austin-East teams with Leroy Thompson and company were as good as anybody. Jeff County in 87 was the best team from a group that lost two games in three years. They were undefeated (nobody even close) and destroyed Gallatin in the state championship game. That team featured Todd Collins (long NFL career) and Taylor Quarles (great career at Furman). Would have beated any of the private school boys.

Obviously this guy did not see the Gallatin/Jeffereson Co matchup in 87'. Gallatin led the game until the 4th quarter and were in the red zone three times during the game but came away with no points. Jefferson Co was really good. They ended up 4th in the nation according to an ESPN scholastic poll. But destroyed Gallatin...ahhh No.

Here's my top five and not in any necessary order.

1. Bristol - 1971-72 great ball team I saw them play against Red Bank that year.

2. Baylor - 1973 state champions and national champions.

3. Gallantin - 1978 state champions with Lonnie Burke at tailback.

4. Red Bank - 2000 state champion beat Riverdale in the snow with Gerald Riggs

by three touchdowns at their homefield.

5. Brentwood Academy - 1995-96 awsome team ( Best team money could buy)

Still a good team.

Here's a pretty good team. In 1938, Elizabethton won the first (and last until 1969) TSSAA state championship by defeating Jackson 26-14. Elizabethton defeated Dobyns Bennett 39-0, and Shelbyville 26-0 to get to the finals. Jackson defeated Grove High 19-3 and Memphis Tech 19-6 to get to the championship.

Here's another great team from a different era:

MBA (1925)

MBA 39 Wallace 0

MBA 26 Columbia Military Acad. 0

MBA 103 Castle Heights Military Acad. 0

MBA 58 McCallie 0

MBA 91 Paducah Tilghman (KY) 0

MBA 87 Portland 0

MBA 33 Hume Fogg 0

MBA 40 Central 0

MBA 89 Knoxville High 0

Affectionately known as the point a minute team for scoring at least one point for every minute of play.

i have seen all this stuff about all these D1 signees, but i havent seen anything about NFL guys. Alcoa's 1989 15-0 state championship team had two NFL starters, with one playing in the super bowl with the Chargers.

Shannon Mitchell(Chargers)

Billy Williams(Cowboys)

i have seen all this stuff about all these D1 signees, but i havent seen anything about NFL guys. Alcoa's 1989 15-0 state championship team had two NFL starters, with one playing in the super bowl with the Chargers.

Shannon Mitchell(Chargers)

Billy Williams(Cowboys)

Billy Williams was a starter for Dallas? I didn't realize he even made the roster.

Shannon Mitchell had a nice NFL career. He was another local that UT didn't recruit.