All Time Top 5 Teams In Tennessee?

UPSGregg

Cleveland High School 1994-1996

Three 4-A state championships

54-0

*Nationally Ranked (I can't remember what number, but they were up there in the USA Today poll)

Dante Hickey-Miss State

Eric Stout-Louisville

Tony Styles-Tennessee

Keith Cobb-Memphis

Kevin Cobb-Memphis

David Jackson-MTSU

...to name the few D1 players I can remember

Also, 1997 Basketball State Champions

Vincent Yarbrough-Tennessee

Del Baker-Tennessee

Oh, and for all the wrestling fans...93' 94' 95' State Champions

They also had the fastest baseball player in Chad Davis

Cleveland High School football has one of the best programs in the state (Not THE best, but one of the best).

Edited by bigbadblue

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I might be wrong here but I think that if we are picking the top 5, 10, whatever, number of greatest TN teams ever that the number of DI signees, Future NFL players, etc. doesn't matter at all. Sure it sounds nice to say that the roster was beefed up with some studs, but a team should be judged on whether or not it won, how it won, who it beat, State Championships, National Rankings(maybe-it'd be a shame to say a team was the best ever based solely on a worthless national ranking) and the era in which it played. It's hard to compare teams from several years ago and back because of classification changes and whatever. Needless to say I'm a firm believer that Tennessee is home to some of the best high school football in the country.

Cleveland High School 1994-1996

Three 4-A state championships

54-0

*Nationally Ranked (I can't remember what number, but they were up there in the USA Today poll)

Dante Hickey-Miss State

Eric Stout-Louisville

Tony Styles-Tennessee

Keith Cobb-Memphis

Kevin Cobb-Memphis

David Jackson-MTSU

...to name the few D1 players I can remember

When did Hickey play for MSU and Styles for UT? Not saying they didn't I don't remember them playing anywhere after high school though.

I can attest to Maryville's '02 greatness.  They had to be extraordinary to compete with Hillsboro's stacked backfield/line.

825295432[/snapback]

98 team was even better. Nobody ran the ball on Maryville that year. 98 team had no weakness. They had a very good quarterback(Toki McCray),The best offensive line I ever saw,Some good running backs,Good receivers,Strong defensive front,Very good linebackers and a very good secondary.They also had a great kicking game.

I give them the nod over 2002 because of better run defense and better kicking game.