Tullahoma Girls Basketball 2008-09

Skipper

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

It may not be as easy to find middle school coaches as you would think. The principal must find a teacher first who can also coach. And less people are wanting to coach because of all the garbage they have to put up with from parents who only want their child to succeed.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It may be difficult to find good coaches on the middle school level, but I am not sure the principals in the Tullahoma system give their best effort. It would take some time and networking to find and contact interested candidates with the necessary teaching credentials; but it could be done. Principals are paid to work toward having a well rounded school both in academics and athletics. In many cases it is who you know and even who you are related to that gets a propsect the job. So don't tell me it is too difficult to find qualified people to coach in the Tullahoma system, a system that pays better than most of the ocunty systems aorund the area.

Let's not forget this bully (Seals) ran Soddy Daisy's program in the ground with his hollering and cussing and was finally asked to leave about ten years too late. He lasted two years at Rhea Co. and had worn his welcome out after one. It won't get better, it only gets worse. You've been warned.

Tullahoma needed that advice 2 years ago when the principal was looking for a new coach.

I don??™t have a dog in this fight and I??™ve only seen their last four home games and one away game, but what I saw was not good. There was no coaching during the game, no adjustments in strategy (I lost count of how many times our defense got burned by Franklin County for wide open, backdoor scores), the young players looked confused, and time outs were used to single out a player while he screamed at her the entire time, then he sent the team back out on the court looking demoralized and confused.

Why does Gilbert not start anymore? I was told that she went to the coach to talk about issues that she was concerned about and ever since then she begins each game on the bench even though she has played very well and been the leading scorer several times since then. Not a real classy move by the coach, and it doesn??™t encourage others to go talk to the coach.

I don??™t understand some of his player combinations, especially when Tullahoma is having trouble against pressing teams or when their defense is struggling. Tullahoma must have had more than twenty turnovers in most of those games. It didn't help that he took Thornburg, probably their best ball handler, out of the point guard position for some of those games? And why does Tucker hardly play now? She is one of their best ball handlers and defensive players, but now she only gets to play for a couple minutes at the end of the game with the Freshman, if she gets in at all. Most of the post players have taken turns being in the dog house---going from starting to not playing at all. It looks like if the coach gets mad at a player during the game then she will be probably be sitting out most of the game, but it is confusing beacuse he seems to have no tolerance for mistakes with some players but much more with others.

I read in the paper that the coach said ???They don??™t execute??? and ???I can??™t play the game for them.??? Maybe he is right and the players just aren??™t performing, but those girls had a lot of success until they got to varsity so there must be some talent there. I hope this all turns around, but the new girls that will be entering the program can??™t be encouraged by what they are seeing during the games and hearing about the way players are treated.

I have tried to be patient with Coach Seals, knowing that the girls basketball program was in disarray before he came, but the program does not appear to be going anywhere under his direction. He is not motivating his players to play to the best of their abilities. I agree with previous posts that he screams and hollars at his players way too much. I feel embarassed for the players when I see this during the games. It seems to lower their self-confidence and they play worse after getting yelled at. From what I have heard, the players are very frustrated with him as their coach, and feel that he is a very poor communicator. They have always wanted to play because of their love for the game, but much of that love has been lost since Coach Seals took over the program. It looks like we need yet another coaching change. Principal Landis has been good friends with Coach Seals for many years, so letting him go would be a very difficult thing for him to do. Hopefully Coach Seals will recognize that he isn't a good fit for the program and resign at the end of the season. He acts like he is miserable coaching the team.

if they fired him they would just bring back lamont snipes

because either they don't want to look for a coach or no one wants the job but my guess is probably both

Does it really matter who the coach is? You play in the toughest district and region in girls basketball. How many DI players in basketball has Tullahoma had over the past 20 years? You play with the cards you are dealt and if there are no cards you can't call a re-deal. No offense to Tullahoma girls program but too much is always blamed on coaches and no one ever says they just don't have enough talent to compete. Then again, most of these posts are from parents of players or players themselves so maybe if you asked people who are not involved with the program to take a look at what you have then you would get an honest evaluation of where you are at. Coaching can only take you so far, you have to have something to work with.

I have a solution. Why don't the Warren County thread and the Tullahoma thread combine for one big crying, whining thread read by over twelve thousand people. Perhaps a title could be won in the Guiness Book for most whining on a single thread. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Does it really matter who the coach is? You play in the toughest district and region in girls basketball. How many DI players in basketball has Tullahoma had over the past 20 years? You play with the cards you are dealt and if there are no cards you can't call a re-deal. No offense to Tullahoma girls program but too much is always blamed on coaches and no one ever says they just don't have enough talent to compete. Then again, most of these posts are from parents of players or players themselves so maybe if you asked people who are not involved with the program to take a look at what you have then you would get an honest evaluation of where you are at. Coaching can only take you so far, you have to have something to work with.

I have to take up this conversation when you start talking about Tullahoma competing in girl's basketball. The fact is that the program is at rock bottom and it has been for several years. Building a program from the bottom up does take time and it does take some patience on the coach's part. The athletes are in the school. They have been for years. The girls are very competitive in all other sports including soccer, track, cross country, softball, volleyball. So what's wrong with the program? Like you said, the coach has to play with the deck he's been dealt. In Seal's case, he doesn't seem to be willing to do even that. Several of the girls put up with his garbage for a year or so and decided to go somewhere else to display their talents. Some girls like Sammie Jackson (one of best athletes in the school) never made it past his first try out. If I were the coach I would be roaming the halls looking for anyone who could walk and chew gum at the same time. Granted, there are some great athletes on the current roster but there are twice as many who played until they got to high school and then never went out because the other activities offered better chances of success. When you combine the facts that the program is at rock bottom, not all the athletes are interested in playing, and the administration's disinterest in the program, you get just what we have. A HUGE MESS. I have to disagree with all the folks that think being dedicated to just basketball 12 months out of the year is going to solve the problem. When you force the girls to choose between basketball and the other sports that are out there, basketball will be left in the dust simply because ALL the other programs are more successful. I certainly don't know all the answers but I do know that not having the best athletes and the numbers needed to build a program puts Tullahoma at a disadvantage. My hat is off to the girls who have stuck it out. You deserve better. Better support from the community, better coaching, and better interest from the administration.

I have a solution. Why don't the Warren County thread and the Tullahoma thread combine for one big crying, whining thread read by over twelve thousand people. Perhaps a title could be won in the Guiness Book for most whining on a single thread. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Add Knoxville Catholic to that topic, and any more the rest of the year that have "What's wrong with" in the title.

Seals had 3 sectional appearances at Sequatchie, one state appearance (lost to the eventual state champ in the first round). One sectional was a one-point loss. Four starters on the state tournament team played more than one sport, some of them and others off the bench played three sports. I don't think he's forgotten what works or how to coach. One of the posts mentioning how the best athlete in the school lasted one tryout tells me a lot. I really doubt Insell, Brown and other big names in the midstate were always pleasant and smiling when dealing with the players but they've won, would there be so many complaints about his style and attitude if the team was winning more games?

Add Knoxville Catholic to that topic, and any more the rest of the year that have "What's wrong with" in the title.

Seals had 3 sectional appearances at Sequatchie, one state appearance (lost to the eventual state champ in the first round). One sectional was a one-point loss. Four starters on the state tournament team played more than one sport, some of them and others off the bench played three sports. I don't think he's forgotten what works or how to coach. One of the posts mentioning how the best athlete in the school lasted one tryout tells me a lot. I really doubt Insell, Brown and other big names in the midstate were always pleasant and smiling when dealing with the players but they've won, would there be so many complaints about his style and attitude if the team was winning more games?

First of all I didn't say she was the best athlete in school, just one of them. Secondly, basketball was the only sport she played or wanted to play. Thirdly, she started at point for every team she had ever played for through her freshman year. He cut her when she was a soph.

A kick butt mentality by the coach is needed ............. sometimes.

Let me ask you a hypothetical question though. Let's say you went to your job every day and you absolutely love doing what you do. And let's say that you aren't very good at your job just because you haven't done it long enough to learn all the ins and outs of what you are supposed to be doing. If your boss calls you in the office once a week and tells you you're lazy, worthless, stupid, and have no talent, is that going to make you better at what you do? Does that make your supervisor a good boss?