Oakland @ Ooltewah

ImaOWL

Any Oakland fan or someone knowledgeable about Oakland care to give an honest assement of their strengths and weaknesses (no hype just facts). Would love to know about Offense, Defense and Special Teams. What are the numbers for the play makers etc. In the game you lost, what did the other team do to win?

Any Owl fan like to do this task? I missed a couple, three games so I can't give a full season assesment.

Friday can't get here soon enough.

Go Owls

Sounds fair enough.

Weaknesses is the lack of deep pass defense as hardly any teams pass around here so the deep cover kids do not get much game experience defending it. Do not get me wrong, these kids do cover well but they do not get to see it much.

Strength. The fact that they are a blue collar working mans team with no 'stars'. When we say they run by committee we are not kidding as they have 5 interchangeable RBs to go to on any play. They are also versitile in that they don't just hand off and pray for a hole to run thru. They have multiple ways to get the ball out and into play.

Another strength is McAdoo on defense. Young man is a legit D1 prospect and teams that do not double team him learn the hard way that he WiLL find a way to get to the RB or QB in the backfield. Only problem with double teaming him is it lets one of the other DL to get loose and they will hurt you.

Coaching staff is solid and have taught the kids how to tackle thru the person for solid hits every time.

Basically think R'dale with only one year under the current coaches. They will only get better!

Now y'alls turn for the no BS truth about y'alls team.

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On offense, the owls have ran the ball 95% of the time. The owls have a very talented running back #22 Mathew Polk who can hit the big one at any time. He hits the holes extemelly hard and is quick as a cat with great vision.Offensive line has improved every week,Coach Ted Gatewood is one of the best O line coaches in the state. The owls have wide recievers that can fly, running game has been so successful that the owls havent had to throw a lot. A defense must respect the WR speed , if not , the owls will air it out and go vertical. I think this game will be interesting because Oakland will go man to man against the owls WR. I expect for Oakland to put 8 in the box and make running difficult.The owls run many formations to try and see what the defense does and exploits their weeknesses. Can the junior QB Brady Reed have a big game throwing the ball down the field against Oakland? I think both defenses will contain the run . Which team can adjust and throw the ball better? On Defense , the owls are a talented bunch. the front four are as good as ive ever seen, big athletic kids that can run. line backers are very discipline and bring the hat on every play. the secondary is outstanding, speed all over the place. Teams havent been able to run on the owls defense all year long.The defense has caused turnovers all year long setting the offense up in great field position. Special teams has been a real strength this year. John Long , kicker for the owls can kick the ball in the endzone on kickoffs. This has made teams go 80 yards against the owls tough defense. Im not sure the exact number, but the owls returners have took it to the house probably 7 or 8 times this year..couple have been called back.This will be a great semi finals football game and i am looking forward to it. I look for a low scoring game, possibly 0 -0 at the half. Coach Benny Monroe is a master at the half time adjustment. I like the owls 13 - 7, home field advantage and Coach Benny Monroe being the diffrence. GO OWLS!

I just went back and re=read that article in the DNJ. They called it a season-ending injury. Trevor's dad put a comment at the bottom saying....."Did anyone tell Trevor Hornsby?" That seals it.... that it wasn't as bad as they said it was in the DNJ.......and that Mc was snowballin Smyrna. We don't need to resort to that stuff.

Glad Hornsby is not chancing any permanent damage then. We may need him bigtime Friday night.

I don't want to discuss private medical information on here but, Trevor and his doctor discussed his injury. He wore a brace and was well-protected. And he is one tough kid! My son is 9 weeks post-op from a similar injury and is still 2 months away from being able to run in a straight line. He is 8 months away from being able to do anything that requires lateral movement. I'll leave it at that.

Sounds fair enough.

Weaknesses is the lack of deep pass defense as hardly any teams pass around here so the deep cover kids do not get much game experience defending it. Do not get me wrong, these kids do cover well but they do not get to see it much.

Strength. The fact that they are a blue collar working mans team with no 'stars'. When we say they run by committee we are not kidding as they have 5 interchangeable RBs to go to on any play. They are also versitile in that they don't just hand off and pray for a hole to run thru. They have multiple ways to get the ball out and into play.

Another strength is McAdoo on defense. Young man is a legit D1 prospect and teams that do not double team him learn the hard way that he WiLL find a way to get to the RB or QB in the backfield. Only problem with double teaming him is it lets one of the other DL to get loose and they will hurt you.

Coaching staff is solid and have taught the kids how to tackle thru the person for solid hits every time.

Basically think R'dale with only one year under the current coaches. They will only get better!

Now y'alls turn for the no BS truth about y'alls team.

Defensive weakness is slant pass and 7 yard out. I personally think we play to far off the receivers.

Defensive strengths. DL is fast and strong. #36 is also a legimate D1 prospect as a junior. He lines up all over the place so it is hard to double team him. Owls generate enough pressure with front 4. LB's have been a very disciplined group this year in maintaining the gaps. That is why teams have had no luck running. DB's are state champion track relay team so you won't out run them and they have tackled the best I have ever seen them.

Offensive weakness a little one deminsional in play calling #22 Polk is a great runner but we seem predictable especially in the first half. I also think we are a little too lossey goosey with the ball. Would love to see the backs tuck the ball away better. QB has a tendency to throw high.

Offensive strengths. OL is one of the best pulling groups I have seen in a long while. As I mentioned above #22 is a great and paitent runner. He really does a good job of waiting for the holes to develop and then he hits it quick. Defenses just seem to tire into the 3rd and 4th qtrs and that is when he does his most damage. Fullbacks can pick up some big chunks also. QB has good arm and his decision making this year has come a long way. I have seen him take a couple of sacks instead of throwing into double coverage. Receivers are speedy (see DB's) we just don't throw the ball much.

Special Teams John Long is a both kicker and punter. He has put a couple through the uprights on kick-offs the past two weeks. Teams very rarely get to return the ball. If there has been a weakness at special teams, is that we have given up a few long run backs. I am not sure why since we have been generally a good tackling team all year.

Head Coach is Benny Monroe and he has been there and done that. As I have said in other posts, he has won a state championship and I haven't that's why I try not to second guess him.

Should be a great game with both teams strengths matching up well with the others.

Go Owls

So how well does Oakland fans travel? Ooltewah has a great reputation for bringing a crowd when they travel. We out number a lot of teams when we go to their place.

It was nice to see how many area teams that we play and do not play against come out and join in on the festivities last Friday night. I think I counted eight different area high school jackets at our game against Faragut. There is just something extra special about this time of year and being this far into the playoffs.

Does anyone know what college scouts will be in town for the game? I know Ooltewah has several players looking at D1 opportunities and it sounds like Oakland may have a few of their own.

Go Owls!

Ooltewah 17

Oakland 7

Since ImaOWL isn't doing the website anymore, I have no idea on who to send them into now so the webpage can be updated.

Send them to the school web site team...not sure what teacher. They are SUPPOSED to be updating the football page, but I assume they have been busy with other things 'cause it does not get updated often. /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

So how well does Oakland fans travel? Ooltewah has a great reputation for bringing a crowd when they travel. We out number a lot of teams when we go to their place.

It was nice to see how many area teams that we play and do not play against come out and join in on the festivities last Friday night. I think I counted eight different area high school jackets at our game against Faragut. There is just something extra special about this time of year and being this far into the playoffs.

Does anyone know what college scouts will be in town for the game? I know Ooltewah has several players looking at D1 opportunities and it sounds like Oakland may have a few of their own.

Go Owls!

Ooltewah 17

Oakland 7

We're working on a plan to get as many as possible in the stands on Friday. Expect a pretty good crowd tailgating before the game. I have a son in the band, too and know that, because of limited funds, they aren't going to be able to bring everyone. My son is riding with us to make room for someone else. Looks like we'll have 50 - 60 pieces there, though.

Any construction we need to be aware of that might slow us down on Friday? I know if it stays cold and we get the rain that Monteagle might be a problem but hopefully that will all hold off 24 hours!