4A State Championship Game

FBEmeritus

I was at the Hillsboro-Henry County Game Friday night and have also seen Maryville. This may be the best matchup of the Finals at MTSU. Maryville strengths are being well coached and well organized, and their players are used to winning and finding a way to win, and they will be fundamentally sound. Look for Quarles to have some tricks up his sleeve for Hillsboro and mix the run and pass effectively...BUT...the thing that impressed me with Hillsboro was their speed on defense and tackling, it seemed like they made a lot of solo tackles in the open field, and had a lot of people around the ball inside. Their offense too, relies on speed, and they have good backs and receivers. Key for Maryville is can they drive the ball, keep the Burros off the field on offense, and be in the game at the end with a chance to win. Key for the Burros is no turnovers, because Maryville will not have many, if any, so they need to score when they have the ball, get Maryville behind and out of what they like to do. Also, Maryville must cover the return game, the Burros can score there too with their speed. Right now, I would say Hillsboro 24 Maryville 17, should be a nice one.

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, 2007 Maplewood I gave the benefit of the doubt to because Maryville didn't beat them by as much as I anticipated. Ergo, I figured Maplewood's athleticism kept it closer.

You may have been there, but it sounds like you were since your assessment is based on 'figurin'

I think a 2 TD win w/ almost twice as many total offensive yards + what I saw from the stands = Maryville w/ more talent in 2007 (again, IMO).

Getting back to the topic at hand: No doubt HHS will be somewhat more athletic saturday. It will come down to disciplined defense & the big guys up front.

MHS: 24

HHS: 12

Oh goodness! The other side of that coin is just go 5-wide shotgun the entire game! The Burros will likely be ready whatever it is! /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Yeah, Blade brought the spread to HHS in 2006, but the 2006 team didn't trust each other or the coaches very much at all. The 2008 team has finally begun to buy into what Blade has been preaching. That could prove to be the difference this year. This team has quite a bit of heart.

I can't take it anymore. I have to say something. You have posted all season that the 2006 team didn't trust each other and did not trust the coaches. You have also said that they did not play as a team. There are players on the 2006 team that felt that if they had played under Coach Blade's system longer, they woud have had enough experience using that system to win the state championship game. 2006 team you did good. You went into the state championship game in 2006 undefeated. The year that you made it, you had to adjust to new coaches and a new system. I think the results of how hard you worked is evidenced by making it to the state championship game. Also, members of the team socialized outside of practice so they were friends. My son played on the 2006 and the 2007 teams. There were some things that I will NOT discuss here that caused a weakness on the 2006 and 2007 team. But, I just did not see the things you are saying.

I feel that the current team may be better than the 2006 and 2007 team for the same reasons that the 2006 and 2007 players felt could have brought them a state championship win.

1. Coach Blade is the only coach that have worked with the players. The seniors have had three years of experience doing things the Blade way.

2. Conditioning - Coach Blade and his coaches came in with a commitment to conditioning. The amount of time spent conditioning prior to Coach Blade can't even begin to compare with what Coach Blade has implemented.

I think Hillsboro willl give Maryville a good game. I want the Burros to win. I will be in the BORO.

You disagree?

2001 HHS, 2002 HHS? 2004 Melrose? 2005 Melrose? 2006 HHS? Even 2007 Maplewood?

I'm not saying they were better TEAMS as evidenced by their getting beat. However, pure talent and athleticism I can't say anyone at Maryville over the years apart from Tyler Maples can match many of the kids on the above teams.

Yore rite BurroBall....And ewe left out Memfiss East inn 2000......Mairvul iz slow, knot as athletick, knot as purty inn thair ewekneeforms, and cant catch ennybody on enny teem....Eye guess we'll just haiv two be happy wif our 6 GOLD bawls this deckaid..... /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

I can't take it anymore. I have to say something. You have posted all season that the 2006 team didn't trust each other and did not trust the coaches. You have also said that they did not play as a team. There are players on the 2006 team that felt that if they had played under Coach Blade's system longer, they woud have had enough experience using that system to win the state championship game. 2006 team you did good. You went into the state championship game in 2006 undefeated. The year that you made it, you had to adjust to new coaches and a new system. I think the results of how hard you worked is evidenced by making it to the state championship game. Also, members of the team socialized outside of practice so they were friends. My son played on the 2006 and the 2007 teams. There were some things that I will NOT discuss here that caused a weakness on the 2006 and 2007 team. But, I just did not see the things you are saying.

I feel that the current team may be better than the 2006 and 2007 team for the same reasons that the 2006 and 2007 players felt could have brought them a state championship win.

1. Coach Blade is the only coach that have worked with the players. The seniors have had three years of experience doing things the Blade way.

2. Conditioning - Coach Blade and his coaches came in with a commitment to conditioning. The amount of time spent conditioning prior to Coach Blade can't even begin to compare with what Coach Blade has implemented.

I think Hillsboro willl give Maryville a good game. I want the Burros to win. I will be in the BORO.

I wish you would discuss those things and enlighten me, but I understand if you can't though. From my perspective, HHS players didn't trust their new coaches that first year in 2006. I don't know if I am as accurate with the players not trusting each other part, but it seemed like some players were on board with what Blade was trying to do in 2006 moreso than others. That's all I was trying to say. I agree with your points as well.

Yore rite BurroBall....And ewe left out Memfiss East inn 2000......Mairvul iz slow, knot as athletick, knot as purty inn thair ewekneeforms, and cant catch ennybody on enny teem....Eye guess we'll just haiv two be happy wif our 6 GOLD bawls this deckaid..... /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

Ahh, wiseacre are we? Well, that is not what I was saying and you should know that based on my other posts in this thread.

GO BURROS!!

I was not sure why Greg Young went out of the game Friday night, However, It was great to see Keith Perry come in and run the offense. He made a great throw to Corey Jordan in the final part of the game.

This may be the smallest Hillsboro team that I have seen in the last 7 years, but they are definitely the fastest. Coach Blade has done another fine job getting to the state championship again. It was great to see the Boro's defeat Henry County. All I have heard since August is that Henry County was #1. They were undefeated until Friday night, but my goodness the hype!

Go Burros!!!!!!!!!!

Beat Maryville!!!!