Video taping of matches by Parents

rigger101

my dad uses a tripod and nobody says anything

No one is likely to ever give anyone grief who is taping his/her child or his/her child's team. Problems are going to develop when someone is taping someone else's child. TSSAA rules and all other rules for that matter are really a matter of interpretation by the host school's administration. And school administrators are among the most powerful people around. In this Zero Tolerance era, a school official's word is law. If a school official says you can't film and you do, you are risking removal from the facility along with a free trip to the local jail, and a judge would laugh at you if you brought a TSSAA rulebook to court with you. The safest thing to do would be to approach the event director and ask if what you want to do is acceptable. Then do as he or she sees fit.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Problems are going to develop when someone is taping someone else's child. TSSAA rules and all other rules for that matter are really a matter of interpretation by the host school's administration. And school administrators are among the most powerful people around. In this Zero Tolerance era, a school official's word is law. If a school official says you can't film and you do, you are risking removal from the facility along with a free trip to the local jail, and a judge would laugh at you if you brought a TSSAA rulebook to court with you. The safest thing to do would be to approach the event director and ask if what you want to do is acceptable. Then do as he or she sees fit.

Yeah, I guess if it gets to the point of having to get the law bcause a parent will not stop filming. we need to ask ourselfs as parents what we are teaching our youth. I guess the next Tourney I attend and I walk by a tripod I might have to wip out the TSSAA rule and scream "Citizen's arrest!!"

I guess the people (especially at Baylor since they will not answer my post) who will try to win no matter what the cost is to their moral character will continue to do this. It does make you wonder what people are teaching their kids these days! But oh well I am not one to boss people around and tell them how to educate their kids. Anyway Freestyle for life again if Baylor wants to play by "rules' they will continually get "kucked" and "bitten"by D-II teams in middle TN when it comes to football because teams like Brentwood Academy and MBA which beat Baylor by a comined score of 56 to 24 are also allowed to wear brass knucles on the football field.

Could comeone from Baylor please expain this rule to me, because if my memory is right (which it is) it was a few Baylor parents down in Collins Hill last year that were filming Father Ryan wrestler while they wrested another team at the Kyle Maynard Duals. But hey thats alright they ARE Baylor which definately makes them above the rules in anything that they do.

I think I remember that. Weren't you guys even over in the other gym?

Maybe we can put Mr. Mitchell in charge of video enforcement......it seems he and one of the Baylor parents hit it off really well.

I guess the people (especially at Baylor since they will not answer my post) who will try to win no matter what the cost is to their moral character will continue to do this. It does make you wonder what people are teaching their kids these days! But oh well I am not one to boss people around and tell them how to educate their kids. Anyway Freestyle for life again if Baylor wants to play by "rules' they will continually get "kucked" and "bitten"by D-II teams in middle TN when it comes to football because teams like Brentwood Academy and MBA which beat Baylor by a comined score of 56 to 24 are also allowed to wear brass knucles on the football field.

I think that nobody has answered you because you seem a little hostile and have your own interpretation of the rules. The very first post of this topic is a copy of the rules. It clearly states an individual can tape a match as long as it's for personal use and not used for commercial gains. Bcb also posted that it is legal to tape anything you want and he should know. I'm not privy to the incident you are referring to but I can assure you a lot of parents do it and not just ones from a particular school. Look at the crowd when a stud is wrestling and you will see more than the two dad's dad taping. I can see understand your opinion on the moral issue. That is a decision each person must make but as long as it's in the rules that it is legal there is nothing that can be done about it. As far as the school administrators telling you to stop and or having you arrested that seems as though they would be overstepping their authority considerably. In fact if you will just pay attention to the media it is legal to tape anything you want as long as its on public property. If you were on a private schools campus then legally there might be an argument there as to whether they could make you stop taping or not. Now this ruling is Tssaa rules. The rules in Georgia may be different entirely.

I think that nobody has answered you because you seem a little hostile and have your own interpretation of the rules. The very first post of this topic is a copy of the rules. It clearly states an individual can tape a match as long as it's for personal use and not used for commercial gains. Bcb also posted that it is legal to tape anything you want and he should know. I'm not privy to the incident you are referring to but I can assure you a lot of parents do it and not just ones from a particular school. Look at the crowd when a stud is wrestling and you will see more than the two dad's dad taping. I can see understand your opinion on the moral issue. That is a decision each person must make but as long as it's in the rules that it is legal there is nothing that can be done about it. As far as the school administrators telling you to stop and or having you arrested that seems as though they would be overstepping their authority considerably. In fact if you will just pay attention to the media it is legal to tape anything you want as long as its on public property. If you were on a private schools campus then legally there might be an argument there as to whether they could make you stop taping or not. Now this ruling is Tssaa rules. The rules in Georgia may be different entirely.

Hello to all! I was the parent taping @ Springfield. After talking with TSSAA, there was no violation of

any rules. I was sitting on the third row of the middle section sitting next to some of the parents of the Hendersonville team. There was no tripod involved and I taped the two matches from my seat. I had a copy

of the General regulations 1-B in my vehicle. All those who deserve notification will be contacted.

I was surprised by how I was treated in the stands. It is my hope that others are treated better in the future. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> Thanks to all !

From what I'm reading, YOU PARENTS, are taking HS wrestling too seriously as for the "winning part". Let you kids be kids, encourage them to be their best and to be winners. Encourage them when they lose to try again. Encourage them to improve, work harder, and always give their best. Video tape your kids for memories sake. Let the coaches do the video taping for teaching and correcting. I guess, what I'm trying to say, is be PARENTS and enjoy the moment and let the coaches be coaches. If you as a parent are so focused on "getting the video edge", you've missed out on a very precious and special moment of your child's life because you face was stuck in the view screen of a video camera.

And on the wrestling mat that combined score would be 105 Baylor to 29 MBA+Brentwood Academy. Lets throw Father Ryan in there because we all know you are their number one fan In Hoc.....And the score is...141 Baylor to 53 MBA+BA+Father Ryan.

And on the wrestling mat that combined score would be 105 Baylor to 29 MBA+Brentwood Academy. Lets throw Father Ryan in there because we all know you are their number one fan In Hoc.....And the score is...141 Baylor to 53 MBA+BA+Father Ryan.

Wow, thanks for the edification on the rules...who has time to do all this stuff anyway...is " smug" an emotion? If so, it isn't a pretty one, and generally that feeling is wiped off one's face by some action that happens just after "watch thiiisss..". You know, the facts are the facts, Baylor is excellent and more power to them if they can work in the filming and study film, and I also credit Ryan and MBA for their tireless efforts, and all for the work their kids do. I am personally impressed by the Independence, Brentwood, BA, CBHS, Clarksville programs, lot of very good athletes working their tails off, with a lot less experience than some wrestlers, but definitely getting it done. Makes for good theatre..Sure have enjoyed watching..would like to meet you clowns some day, very intersting threads..

TSSAA Rule:

Video taping or filming is permitted if the taping or filming is for private use or use by the two schools involved and not for public or commercial use. Video taping or filming must be done from the individual??™s seat. Individuals will not be allowed to use tripods. A school taping or filming its own matches may use a tripod. A school will not be allowed to tape or film a match unless its wrestler is involved. All taping or filming by a school may be approved by the local Game Director, and the Game Director shall assign space, when available, from which the school may tape or film.

I remember last year it being a little stink at a Bradley match. I remember a few years ago I was filming my son's comp at a Tourney he wasn't in, and a parent informed me it was against TSSAA rules. If the rule above is that rule than I could see how a parent could say his taping is for private use.

How do others see this rule?

Rigger: The rule seems pretty straight forward to me. It prohibits a school from filming another wrestler, but it doesn't prohibit me, a mere parent, from filming another wrestler. But out of an abundance of caution, I ran the rule by my friendly lawyer and asked him for his take on it. He quoted that old legal maxim expressio unius est exclusio alterius (the inclusion of one is the exclusion of others) and told me to film away. When I told him one of my Father Ryan buddies said I could go to jail for filming, he said nonsense - I would have no mens re or scienter and furthemore de minimis non curat lex (the law cares not for trifles).

I felt like I'd been in a Harry Potter movie after talking to the guy.

Rigger: The rule seems pretty straight forward to me. It prohibits a school from filming another wrestler, but it doesn't prohibit me, a mere parent, from filming another wrestler. But out of an abundance of caution, I ran the rule by my friendly lawyer and asked him for his take on it. He quoted that old legal maxim expressio unius est exclusio alterius (the inclusion of one is the exclusion of others) and told me to film away. When I told him one of my Father Ryan buddies said I could go to jail for filming, he said nonsense - I would have no mens re or scienter and furthemore de minimis non curat lex (the law cares not for trifles).

I felt like I'd been in a Harry Potter movie after talking to the guy.

I am impressed. To think someone can speak so clearly after having his wiskey. Do all you Irish guys speak in tongues.