New Oak Ridge Head Football Coach

SPLITBACK

You know, I'm really confused. I read about all these coaches wanting to leave the school that they are at. Is there no loyalty any more? I mean, if all these coaches players starting transferring to other schools I'm sure the coach would be talking about loyalty to their teammates and school. If I was the administrators of these schools I would fire these coaches and get a coach who is loyal to the school they are at. Don't really want to hear about more money etc. If it's all about money maybe they should have been in the Oil business. I know of coaches that live in mansions with swimming pools and drive suv's. How much money does a man need? I really think if you are already a head coach and are always looking for the next GREAT job you are a poor example to the kids you coach. Does the hypocrite ring a bell. Just a thought!!!!

I kinda sort of agree. I do not think your post is stupid, but Ole Dad is right coaches have to look out for their families. However we are in the business where feelings are gonna get hurt and yes there isn't much loyalty there anymore. I was in a coaching situation a year or two ago that wasn't the most ideal position, but I pulled 4 yrs out of the deal just for the love of the kids and even then didnt want to leave. The difference is my wife loved the kids as well. I feel for the players whose coaches jump ship after one year or the kids who have had 4 different coaches in 4 yrs. Just plain crazy!! On the other hand I could see if you were a new head coach starting out and were successful and then a bigger school with more money to throw around wanted you and you listened. I just don't agree with coaches jumping from job to job, but to each his own.

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That post is about stupid. Are all people with swmming pools that drive SUV's rich? To put this in perspective, if you work for IBM and Apple has an opening for lots more money do you listen? What if it's for the same money but is a real challenge? Do you talk to them? Well this is a coaching job, not the job as The Pope. These guys are just like you and I, they need to look out for their family and future. Where is the loyalty from schools also is the question I ask?

Ole Dad

Ole Dad,

Maybe you just missed the point. I didn't say anybody was rich, just stating that money is the most common reason that a Coach gives for leaving. Why don't they just tell the truth, it's all about winning. I have been around high school football for 35 years, 27 as a referee and 8 years as an announcer and I really laugh at some of the reasons that Coaches give their players for leaving, why don't they just say "well guys a opening has come up at a school that has some pretty good athletes and a tradition for winning. Since I have been at this school I've not been able to win the big one. It can't be my coaching so it must be that there is no talent year in and year out at this school. I hate to leave you, but, it really is about me!! And by the way, we are not talking about IBM or Apple, we are talking about 15 year old kids. Remember, right now we have coaches all over this great nation, that are talking to their players about commitment, don't you think we should practice what we are preaching? In conclusion my post is not stupid, the only thing stupid is some of the reasons coaches give for leaving!!!!

Ole Dad,

Maybe you just missed the point. I didn't say anybody was rich, just stating that money is the most common reason that a Coach gives for leaving. Why don't they just tell the truth, it's all about winning. I have been around high school football for 35 years, 27 as a referee and 8 years as an announcer and I really laugh at some of the reasons that Coaches give their players for leaving, why don't they just say "well guys a opening has come up at a school that has some pretty good athletes and a tradition for winning. Since I have been at this school I've not been able to win the big one. It can't be my coaching so it must be that there is no talent year in and year out at this school. I hate to leave you, but, it really is about me!! And by the way, we are not talking about IBM or Apple, we are talking about 15 year old kids. Remember, right now we have coaches all over this great nation, that are talking to their players about commitment, don't you think we should practice what we are preaching? In conclusion my post is not stupid, the only thing stupid is some of the reasons coaches give for leaving!!!!

Ever think that some of them are LYING? Strange as it may seem Coaches are just mortal men like any of us. Some good and some......well lets just say they think more of themselves than anything else.

Ego can be a two edged sword. Some use it with power and authority and some just manage to fall on it.

Im not saying anyone is stupid, but there are many reasons coaches leave for new schools. Some want the money, some want a challenge, some may be thinking about their children and the community that is best for them. Some may get a shot at their alma mater. Sure ego and hypocrisy will exist in some situations, but those coaches can't fool everyone and their reputation will catch up with them at some point. Remember that these guys can get fired for not producing pretty quick and if they have won enough to garner interest from a more lucrative situation than that is the way our society/economy is designed. Doing a good job should equal better oportunities. Just my two cents.

Old Dad,

I have talked to former players, Coaches & parents who have had only good things to say about Ron Gray, I would say that he is the definition of a players coach. I understand he has turned down a job here & there. If that is his only negative then I am ok with that. I do not know him.

I have heard you mention that he stabs people in the back etc. What proof do you have? Who did he stab?

I thought Bruce left own his own accord, you have me curious now. I would like to know the truth because this next hire will have some high expectations & I want to know every candidate inside out.

Thank you.

Bladerunner

You know, I'm really confused. I read about all these coaches wanting to leave the school that they are at. Is there no loyalty any more? I mean, if all these coaches players starting transferring to other schools I'm sure the coach would be talking about loyalty to their teammates and school. If I was the administrators of these schools I would fire these coaches and get a coach who is loyal to the school they are at. Don't really want to hear about more money etc. If it's all about money maybe they should have been in the Oil business. I know of coaches that live in mansions with swimming pools and drive suv's. How much money does a man need? I really think if you are already a head coach and are always looking for the next GREAT job you are a poor example to the kids you coach. Does the hypocrite ring a bell. Just a thought!!!!

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. That's what these boards are for, right? But I couldn't agree less with you on this subject. Loyalty to the school is critical for the players, alumni, and parents. But for the coaches it is a job. It doesn't mean they don't love the kids or appreciate the school and administration, but it is still their JOB. Just like most of us that post have a job. My place is to do my best for the company I work for as long as I work there, but if I get a better opportunity, my first responsibility is to my family, not my boss. If my boss wants to keep me around enough he'll make it difficult for someone else to hire me. If I have a better opportunity somewhere else than my current employer I should consider it. Whether it's pay, location, opportunity for advancement, etc. I can't imagine that you view your job situation the way you suggest a coach should look at his. At least I hope you don't for your sake. Once again, just my opinion. Your mileage may vary.

Ole Dad must have some inside knowledge. Why can't a coach leave for financial reasons? I mean we aren't talking big time salaries. But there is a difference in making $ 40,000 a year and making $ 54,000 a year. Why should a coach turn that down?

Bladerunner,

I have heard from as many players that liked him that did not. Apparently he has badmouthed the program since he left it after he did not get the job. Plus he coached at three other schools while teaching at the high school, why would OR fans consider him loyal to the Wildcats?

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. That's what these boards are for, right? But I couldn't agree less with you on this subject. Loyalty to the school is critical for the players, alumni, and parents. But for the coaches it is a job. It doesn't mean they don't love the kids or appreciate the school and administration, but it is still their JOB. Just like most of us that post have a job. My place is to do my best for the company I work for as long as I work there, but if I get a better opportunity, my first responsibility is to my family, not my boss. If my boss wants to keep me around enough he'll make it difficult for someone else to hire me. If I have a better opportunity somewhere else than my current employer I should consider it. Whether it's pay, location, opportunity for advancement, etc. I can't imagine that you view your job situation the way you suggest a coach should look at his. At least I hope you don't for your sake. Once again, just my opinion. Your mileage may vary.

Good post.

Ole Dad must have some inside knowledge. Why can't a coach leave for financial reasons? I mean we aren't talking big time salaries. But there is a difference in making $ 40,000 a year and making $ 54,000 a year. Why should a coach turn that down?

Bladerunner,

I have heard from as many players that liked him that did not. Apparently he has badmouthed the program since he left it after he did not get the job. Plus he coached at three other schools while teaching at the high school, why would OR fans consider him loyal to the Wildcats?

That is why i ask early if the adminstration was on board so these people can be removed or placed somewhere other then the high school?This is very important it would help the program get back to the top faster.

Bladerunner,

I am not going to lie, Ihave bad mouthed the program since he left.

I would just consider the source. Alot of people I have talked to say that he is a great coach over all. I am not saying hire him, If someone

is going to bad mouth him, I just want an explanation. it is only fair.

You could talk to any coach and you'll find lots of guys that love him and lots that hate him. Not every player responds to the same kind of coaching. Ron is a great person and an intelligent coach. Would he solve all of OR's problems? I don't know, I think he's capable of returning OR to its former glory though. People making him out to be some jerk that has no loyalty and badmouths everyone don't actually know him. They're getting second hand information from a probably biased source. If you want to know what he's actually like, go meet him. Go by the high school and actually talk to him.... he's very personable, he'll talk to you and answer any questions you have about him. I guarantee you'll come away saying, this guy would be a good choice for the next HC of OR.