Big 9 Baseball

tricitiessportsfan

Looks like it's coming down to the wire now with the teams that have improved on the season taking the lead. I heard about the post-prom party but sure didn't know any baseball players were involved. That's an unfortunate incident for the Hill. We'll see what the Coach is made of now regarding suspensions, school rules, and team politics. I hear he's a "by the book" kind of guy. TN High with their win over South last night seems ready for the tourney. Volunteer might be a sleeper that everybody overlooked. That Hudson kid is a real team leader! If the Hill players are suspended, looks to me like Boone, TN High, and DB will be on top. The first round will be interesting for sure with all the aces on the mound. Ritz is a strategy man as is Coach Payne. These 2 will be hard to beat as play continues. Coach Hoover at Boone (not the ill-tempered brother at south) has a real heart for the game and can get his kids motivated! "Big A" as someone called him (wonder what the A stands for as if we didn't know) might as well take up his uniforms and call it a day. Dropping the F bomb and cursing a blue streak at the kids won't motivate them. Hated to see the tall lanky kid leave the team. There was some talent if he'd been given a real chance. I predict some upsets right off the bat. If Central could get all their talent playing as a team, they might have a shot. My Patriots have to come to the park to play ball and if Coach B can get them fired up, they can be on to round 2!

2 SH players sat yesterday and will sit three games. 3 others were at the party but ran when the police got there and were not penalized. Might blow your minds who those three were. will be interesting to see if anyone gives them up.

I believe SH will win first round easily because the other winner of the play-in will have to play back to back and neither has that much pitching.

Boone should make it through unless the bats go dead like they did against East the first time.

THS will make it through because Krebs will win.

South will make it through the first round because of Archer pitching first game.

AFter that it should be interesting according to how the pitching comes through. SH has the big three. Boone has three or four that have shown they can throw it. THS will either have to throw Krebs' arm off or hand it to the sophomores. South doesn't have anything after Archer consistently. Second round should pit Boone against THS and South against SH.

But I'm not counting out the upset in the first round. East can do it if Dez is on. DB might do it but don't think they can beat Krebs and Crockett can't beat Archer, especially like they played against Boone and for sure if Freeman does not get better.

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 SH players sat yesterday and will sit three games. 3 others were at the party but ran when the police got there and were not penalized. Might blow your minds who those three were. will be interesting to see if anyone gives them up.

I believe SH will win first round easily because the other winner of the play-in will have to play back to back and neither has that much pitching.

Boone should make it through unless the bats go dead like they did against East the first time.

THS will make it through because Krebs will win.

South will make it through the first round because of Archer pitching first game.

AFter that it should be interesting according to how the pitching comes through. SH has the big three. Boone has three or four that have shown they can throw it. THS will either have to throw Krebs' arm off or hand it to the sophomores. South doesn't have anything after Archer consistently. Second round should pit Boone against THS and South against SH.

But I'm not counting out the upset in the first round. East can do it if Dez is on. DB might do it but don't think they can beat Krebs and Crockett can't beat Archer, especially like they played against Boone and for sure if Freeman does not get better.

U and BlackJack seem to be right on with your comments.The Hill seems to have alot more pitchers than everbody else.That alone should put them in the drivers seat.The prom deal at the Hill was unfortunate.They got caught.Think how many of us that didn't.Lucky. It goes on every year at prom time.The mom thought she was doing the kids something special.The Hill will have to regroup,after they all come out of the bushes. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

When the dust has settled look for Boone and The Hill in district championship game.

These are the players that I have listed so far:

P- McKinney, Science Hill; Norris, Science Hill; Freeman,Archer,Krebbs

C- Reed, Science Hill; Deloach, David Crockett; Lockhart,Sullivan South; Millsap

1st Base- Patterson, Science Hill; Connell, Daniel Boone

2nd Base- Loughry

3rd Base- Massey, David Crockett; Hyden

Shortstop- Crawford, Dobbins Bennett; Payne, Tennessee High; Mathews; Roberts

Left Field- Gaby

Center Field- Jones

Right Field- Ketron

Designate Hitter- Parker, Volunteer

My son is a freshman at Science Hill this year, so I will be watching several SH baseball games. I know several of the players one year ahead and behind, but not many juniors and seniors. It is nice to know who are the players to watch, especially from other teams. Also, it gives me a gage to see what I need to have my son work on.

Congratulations to the Science Hill freshman team. They won the Big 9 Freshman Tournament defeating David Crockett 3-1. Andrew Sweeney went the distance for the win, and Cody Campbell had the big two-run home run in the second inning to give SH a 2-0 lead. Justin Snyder had an rbi double in the seventh inning to extend the lead to 3-1. Crockett had a couple of wasted opportunities. With the bases loaded and one out, Crockett was unable to score in the fourth inning.

The freshman team was lead by a strong and deep pitching staff consisting of 4 often dominant and another 3 or 4 better than average hurlers. The team had a strong outfield led by Devaun Miller in center field. The infielders were average to above average either having good range and weak arms or limited range and good arms. The hitting was inconsistent. Fortunately, the pitching carried the hitting and fielding.

Many of the freshman players, especially the pitchers, play substantial amounts of time on the SH JV. The JV team was eliminated Saturday by Tennessee High 16-12 in nine innings. Tennessee High deserved to win the game. SH JV must have made 8 fielding errors. Nevertheless, SH battled back from an 11-3 deficit in the bottom of the seventh to tie the game off of one of Tennesee High's better pitchers.

Does anyone have a report on how the JV tournament finished?

NETfan,

That is about the best summary I've seen of the competition. Fair, concise, and very very accurate. Ran into Coach Sells the other day at a local restaurant, and he said you gotta have at least 3 good arms to get far at all. I agree SH has those arms if they aren't turning up drinks with umbrellas in them! Hope they lock the "adult" up in that situation. I agree with the "on" bats as well. If Boone can stay hot with their sticks, they will do well. They are a much improved improved ball club. Krebbs is outstanding and so is Archer but they can't do it alone. TN High has been hitting well and will provide support for their ace, but South seems to be moving backwards. If it goes as you say, the TN High/Boone game would be a good one and the SH/South game would be a blow-out with SH mopping up. The key in that one is how many kids are benched at SH and how downtrodden the south players are. When we played them the starters stood with their heads hung down as the "fearless leader" ranted at them. How do you see Central in the mix? Could their talent of Roberts and Hyden pull anything off? I agree Dez can do the job, but he will need help too.

U and BlackJack seem to be right on with your comments.The Hill seems to have alot more pitchers than everbody else.That alone should put them in the drivers seat.The prom deal at the Hill was unfortunate.They got caught.Think how many of us that didn't.Lucky. It goes on every year at prom time.The mom thought she was doing the kids something special.The Hill will have to regroup,after they all come out of the bushes. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

When the dust has settled look for Boone and The Hill in district championship game.

I think your assessment of the entire situation is right on. Too many parents want to be "friends" with their kids but the adults need to grow up and be the parent! You brought a chuckle to this old coach's heart about Prom night. I see the same things are still happening. Lucky is right! I predict that the Hill will come out with a vengance and it might very well be Boone in the mix with them. Boone has Dishner who is a scrappy player and will rise up to expectations when called upon. The 3rd baseman is a slugger too. Connells, enough said. This would be a game to see for sure. DB has Harvey who can pitch with the best of them and TN has Krebbs who can go it with anyone too. It just depends on how deep the pitching is and if the Coach has shown confidence in them.

I think your assessment of the entire situation is right on. Too many parents want to be "friends" with their kids but the adults need to grow up and be the parent!

Bam! You are right on BJack...I tell all 5 of mine at least once a day "This is NOT a popularity contest. I am not in this to be your friend. I have my own friends. You get your own friends and make sure I approve of them or you'll get some more. My job is not to make you 'happy' - it is to make sure you grow up healthy, move out of my home to attend a nice far away college that has good shopping nearby for when I visit, then graduate and give me some grandchildren that I can only keep between 1-5 on Saturdays after Bridge Club. Continue to be a productive citizen in society and secure my retirement on a lovely spot near the Gulf of Mexico within walking distance to an outdoor Tiki Bar." My children should be able to repeat this anthem to you at any time of the day from sheer memorization & daily brainwashing.

BMama

Bam! You are right on BJack...I tell all 5 of mine at least once a day "This is NOT a popularity contest. I am not in this to be your friend. I have my own friends. You get your own friends and make sure I approve of them or you'll get some more. My job is not to make you 'happy' - it is to make sure you grow up healthy, move out of my home to attend a nice far away college that has good shopping nearby for when I visit, then graduate and give me some grandchildren that I can only keep between 1-5 on Saturdays after Bridge Club. Continue to be a productive citizen in society and secure my retirement on a lovely spot near the Gulf of Mexico within walking distance to an outdoor Tiki Bar." My children should be able to repeat this anthem to you at any time of the day from sheer memorization & daily brainwashing.

BMama

Great post mom Taylor. I am with you 100%.I wish I was at the Tiki Hut @ Hilton Head right now! If I am not mistaken this Sat. is South's prom. I hope everybody has a good time,but don't get too wild.It is easy to let down your guard at these functions and things can get out of hand.Hope there is no more parents out there who want to party with their teenagers.Please,let the students enjoy the moment on their own.

Good luck to all baseball players in the up coming district.It is wide open.It has been a great season so far.

BMama

Now this is a good post right here! I think you should go to the high schools BT Mom and give some of these people lessons. That Tiki Bar sounds pretty good and so does that retirement. I'm just shaking my head of some of the stunts parents pull. Some of them should take a test before they have kids. But then I too think some coaches should take a test before they coach. Some of these yahoooos don't know their you know whats from a hole in the ground. Anymore if you're looking for a good coach it's a crap shoot. No pun intended on the crap part.

Now this is a good post right here! I think you should go to the high schools BT Mom and give some of these people lessons.

I teach 25 kids for 180 days and can't get their parent to do a darn thing I say-- never mind a whole high school full of fools that want to party with their kids and live vicariously through their lives. 99% of what I do all day is what I call 'home raising' since they missed that part at HOME... simple things like answer with 'yes ma'am & no ma'am' say please & thank you within 3 seconds or I won't give it or I'll take it back, look me in the eye when you speak to me, never negotiate with me, when I ask you how your day is- answer and ask me about mine, ....anyway, I have the famous 'Taylor Ranch 55' classroom rules-- email me & I'll forward them to you if you want a good laugh--or cry-- to see what teachers spend their day REALLY teaching kids. Strange---- it looks a whole lot like stuff they are suppose to learn at HOME! Everybody go thank a teacher while you're at it- next week is Teacher Appreciation Week (and strangely enough, my 40th birthday- time for me to look for a new career: Queen of Coach T, possibly?)

Go bust your kid's tail-- they'll do something to deserve it before the day is over with and you'll already be ahead! /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Bobby Mama

TaylorD@JCSchools.org

It seems odd that Science Hill seems to have more pitching than everybody else. It seems like most teams have one good pitcher, but Sciene Hill has three or four. I would suspect that with the county schools, but not with Dobyns Bennett and Tennessee High.

It may just be a cycle, but from what I have seen in the JV and freshman games, there seems to be very little strong pitching in the pipeline for teams other than Science Hill. Tennessee High has a left hander named Heath and a right hander named O'dell that look pretty good, and Boone and Crockett have some fair pitching but not a lot of depth.

Although, Science Hill doesn't have a dominant junior or sophmore group of pitchers other than Daniel Norris, I believe it is going to be hard to get all the freshman pitchers enough work over the next few years. Three of the freshman are throwing in the mid to high seventies which means that they will probably be throwing in low to mid eighties next year. There are four other pitchers that throw well and would be an asset to most other teams in the area. More impressively, most of them throw strikes. On top of that, there is a rising eight grader coming through Indian Trail that looks pretty tough.

It seems odd that Science Hill seems to have more pitching than everybody else. It seems like most teams have one good pitcher, but Sciene Hill has three or four. I would suspect that with the county schools, but not with Dobyns Bennett and Tennessee High.

It may just be a cycle, but from what I have seen in the JV and freshman games, there seems to be very little strong pitching in the pipeline for teams other than Science Hill. Tennessee High has a left hander named Heath and a right hander named O'dell that look pretty good, and Boone and Crockett have some fair pitching but not a lot of depth.

Although, Science Hill doesn't have a dominant junior or sophmore group of pitchers other than Daniel Norris, I believe it is going to be hard to get all the freshman pitchers enough work over the next few years. Three of the freshman are throwing in the mid to high seventies which means that they will probably be throwing in low to mid eighties next year. There are four other pitchers that throw well and would be an asset to most other teams in the area. More impressively, most of them throw strikes. On top of that, there is a rising eight grader coming through Indian Trail that looks pretty tough.

Boone has three sophomore left handers with one being Connell who throws upper 80's. They also have a sophomore righty that throws hard.

Crockett has two righties with Marti throwing upper 80's. they have a freshman that will hit mid-80's.

Central has Harmon that pitched great this year just did not have fielding behind him.

THS has 2/3 sophomore starters right now on varsity.

I think these and maybe a few others will have dominant pitchers for several years to compete with SH.

Going into the District tournament I would have to say Dobyns Bennett has probably the deepest staff of pitchers in the field with 5 . 4 of them being seniors, and 2 of them picking up a good rythum just at the right time .