Top Freshmen

Welshdragon

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any updates on the freshman...how are they doing??? any surprises?

I believe Landon Foster and Shane Powell of Indy have both really stepped up on the defensive side of the ball. They are both still getting valuable playing time, both starting and not coming off. Shane is one of the most solid defensive players i've seen and he's only a freshman. And for Landon, he looked a little shaky in the JPII scrimmage and the Centennial game, but he has learned a lot and has really stepped up against some key district oppenents like Ravenwood and Brentwood keeping both games to a 0-0 tie, which shows that their defense will have to step up, because they aren't the type of team that will hammer in 2 or 3 goals against a solid opponent. We'll see how these two and the three other freshmen for Indy finishes. One of those freshman is new to varsity, moved up from JV. Another has been out for two if not three weeks due to surgery, but i believe he played in the Ravenwood game. They have really missed him. The other has also really stepped up in the past couple of games and played really well on the outside. All in all; Indy has some very young talent. Four of the five freshman usually start. Be on the lookout for them next year, but right now it's about this year and if they can make it to state...

Robel Scott

Carson Jones

Both from Seymour

Alcoa has a boy with the last name Stone who could be special

I am of course writing this as the season winds down and I am able to see what has happened. I will also look ahead a bit.

Austin Stone has had a very good year. His foot skills are superior and he reads the game well. He needs to add some muscle as he is getting knocked off the ball because he does not have the strength of the boys he is going up against. You expect that from a Freshman. To this point he has used speed and foot skill against bigger stronger players. When he adds muscle to his speed, look out! He will continue to develop and could be very, very special before his high school career is over. It will be interesting to see if Coach Gorman moves him upfront due to a forward graduating or leaves him in midfield.

Carson Jones is a fine young man, but he needs lots more work to become special. He has bursts, but it will depend on how hard he works over the next three years.

I don't know anything about Robel Scott.

The Maryville JV team is loaded with fine freshman and they will make some noise as sophomores. Noah Erwin in particular is a very polished defender for a Freshman. The coaching change at Maryville has been a culture changer (this is not to say anything negative about the past coach). Alcoa also has a couple of fine Freshman in Nathaniel Loveday, a defender, and Tyler Reed a Keeper. With the talent on hand it is hard to say when they will see major playing time.

In another post on this thread, it was asked what Bearden has waiting in the wings. When you compare those that are graduating to what is coming back, Bearden will be much smaller next year.