Smith Co. Football

Guest Termite

No doubt. Isn't it the longest time between football seasons?

It certainly is. Especially when the previously year ended with a SOUR taste for your team. Cheatham Co. had a streak of 6 consecutive trips to the state playoffs snapped in the final week of the season last fall when they fell to Page. Just two weeks later in an early round playoff game Smith Co. fell against Marion Co.

A new season will be an opportunity for both teams to put that bitter feeling behind them and enjoy new success.

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It certainly is. Especially when the previously year ended with a SOUR taste for your team. Cheatham Co. had a streak of 6 consecutive trips to the state playoffs snapped in the final week of the season last fall when they fell to Page. Just two weeks later in an early round playoff game Smith Co. fell against Marion Co.

A new season will be an opportunity for both teams to put that bitter feeling behind them and enjoy new success.

Absolutely. And I'm sure both teams are chomping at the bits right now for it to get here. I'm sure Cheatam County was quite upset to have that streak snapped. It was disappointing for us to lose in the second round on our home field as well.

Absolutely. And I'm sure both teams are chomping at the bits right now for it to get here. I'm sure Cheatam County was quite upset to have that streak snapped. It was disappointing for us to lose in the second round on our home field as well.

3 big plays is the only thing that won them the game. Should have disrupted the mess point instead of slanting to darn much.

Guest Termite

3 big plays is the only thing that won them the game. Should have disrupted the mess point instead of slanting to darn much.

I've never claimed to be "theoldballcoachbaby" but it would seem to me if you can limit ANY team to 3 big plays a game, you would like your chances. Of course, that also depends on your definition of "big plays".

And what the devil is a mess point???

So....doing what was working (apparently) as ONLY 3 big plays were given up the entire game was the wrong thing to do. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

I've never claimed to be "theoldballcoachbaby" but it would seem to me if you can limit ANY team to 3 big plays a game, you would like your chances. Of course, that also depends on your definition of "big plays".

And what the devil is a mess point???

So....doing what was working (apparently) as ONLY 3 big plays were given up the entire game was the wrong thing to do. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

yea well it is a mesh point my bad...if you saw the Alcoa/Marion game you would know what I am talking about...that little veer they run didn't get a thing all night...they hurt them with a few jet sweeps....and a couple of timely throws. I don't claim to be "theoldballcoachbaby" just a screen name to hide my identity thats all. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

yea well it is a mesh point my bad...if you saw the Alcoa/Marion game you would know what I am talking about...that little veer they run didn't get a thing all night...they hurt them with a few jet sweeps....and a couple of timely throws. I don't claim to be "theoldballcoachbaby" just a screen name to hide my identity thats all. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I agree but we have talked about that before. . .

Yea penetrate the line of scrimmage disrupt the mesh point. Not 2 or 3 yards deep penetration, only about a yard deep.

Yes I remember one of the defensive calls SC made against Marion late in the game that ended up being the winning score. Tackles out. I am not a big fan of that call. Maybe the tackles went to deep or to far out or the LB's didn't fill or were cut off either way there was a hole big enough to drive a mack truck thru.

Guest Termite

Yes I remember one of the defensive calls SC made against Marion late in the game that ended up being the winning score. Tackles out. I am not a big fan of that call. Maybe the tackles went to deep or to far out or the LB's didn't fill or were cut off either way there was a hole big enough to drive a mack truck thru.

Your right RC and ballcoach. But each defensive and ofensive call is a gamble of sorts. Each has a weakness, risk and a reward. You just play the odds and look for a weakness. RC, had the play your talking about worked and dropped them for a 10 yard loss, would it have been a bad call then?? If every defensive call worked as it should, you would win every ball game, the offense wouldn't score. There is usually some sort of breakdown, whether it's a called defense, or personnel or execution. SO, with that being said.......... wouldn't you agree............that you would settle for giving up ONLY 3 big plays a game, every game?? (again, that may depend on your definition of BIG plays)

Oldballcoach.....you say that marion didn't hurt them with the veer, but did hurt them with a few jet sweeps and a couple of timely throws.......would that be more than 3 BIG plays??? Maybe they should have slanted more and only given up 2 big plays........

Anyway........I wish that game had been played in the dry but Marion played wet too...

Your right RC and ballcoach. But each defensive and ofensive call is a gamble of sorts. Each has a weakness, risk and a reward. You just play the odds and look for a weakness. RC, had the play your talking about worked and dropped them for a 10 yard loss, would it have been a bad call then?? If every defensive call worked as it should, you would win every ball game, the offense wouldn't score. There is usually some sort of breakdown, whether it's a called defense, or personnel or execution. SO, with that being said.......... wouldn't you agree............that you would settle for giving up ONLY 3 big plays a game, every game?? (again, that may depend on your definition of BIG plays)

Oldballcoach.....you say that marion didn't hurt them with the veer, but did hurt them with a few jet sweeps and a couple of timely throws.......would that be more than 3 BIG plays??? Maybe they should have slanted more and only given up 2 big plays........

Anyway........I wish that game had been played in the dry but Marion played wet too...

I didn't mean for it to sound like I said that was a bad call by the defensive coaches on that play that Marion scored on. And if it does I apologize. B/c those coaches know more than I do. I was just saying that I'm not a fan of the tackles out call. Even though it could cause havoc with the offenses blocking scheme. And yes if 3 big plays is all we gave up that would have made me very happy.

Your absolutely right about the wet field. Marion had a good team, but I think we all would have wished for dryer conditions. Especially since SC's offense does so many things. What it basically came down to was a very limited play selection by the Owls b/c of the rain . I think we all agree that Marion would have had their hands full if they had to defend the Owls under different circumstances. On the other side of the ball, pretty much straight ahead plays again by Marion b/c of the wet conditions. I agree there had to be a break down by the SC defense b/c of the big hole. But again you have to give Marion credit. The thing that really hurts is the rain played right into their hands. I mean we didn't get to see the Owl team that we seen all year. And I'm not making excuses for you guys that's just the way it is.

Hey will you please quit telling people were I work!! I would love to get on here and just mess with people without them knowing where I work. Thanks greatly appreciate it.